Any experience with ECP Audio Torpedo Headphone amp?

2gumby2

I'm planning to purchase some Philips Fidelio X1 headphones and I'm leaning toward building the ECP Audio Torpedo headphone amp. I'm seeking opinions on this amp from anyone that migh have experience with it.

dpump

Re: Any experience with ECP Audio Torpedo Headphone amp?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2013, 03:05 pm »
It's a great amp. Buy it and build it and you won't be disappointed. I had one and sold it but only because I have too many amps. The very slight background hum the original amp had has now been totally eliminated on the latest upgrade according to Beezar. I've had a number of tube headphone amps and still have several, but the Torpedo just had a smooth, relaxing, but detailed sound that was so easy to enjoy.

I bought mine used off of Ebay and got a great deal. I needed to raise some cash for headphones so I sold it on Head-Fi. The buyer is a very experienced audiophile who told me he loves it. He is using it with Beyerdynamic T90s, among others. The Torpedo also has great synergy with Grados. I plan on getting another Torpedo in the future. Mine was silver, but the current black finish looks better in my opinion.

The kit isn't hard to build if you have some experience, but I probably wouldn't recommend it for beginners. I don't think Beezar shows a completed unit for sale, but he has mentioned several times in the past that he has just finished building one, so that may be an option if you can't build one yourself. I would ask him. If you can build the amp your self, you are getting a much better amp than any of the Chinese amps I have seen in the price range. You can build it for approximately $300 complete. I think it's a steal for that price!