Help an old dog audiophile learn some new tricks (with an $850 budget)

brother love

Hi folks.  I’ve been an Audiocircle member for a good while, but am just now taking a crash course in  “headphone mania”.

My wife & I are fortunate to be taking an early retirement & moving to a smaller downtown condo in a few months.  As such, I have sold my 2nd system, & have only my main system remaining: GR Research N3 transmission line speakers,  TBI Millenia MG3 MKII amp,  Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 w/ JKeny USB/ SPDIF converter, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-83SE blu-ray.   Because of the shared 1927 building condo environment, I know that elevated listening levels (for me: 85 db max per SPL meter) will be a distant memory with my main system.   

So with that in mind,  I have an $850 slush fund from recent 2nd system sales to implement a headphone & amp combo in order to “crank it up” & fill a much needed void.  

I have always been a “budget” audiophile. As such, I  don’t need the best of the best, but I do need higher quality. I currently have some modest  JVC HAS400B headphones  (based on eclein’s  thread here) that are directly connected to the TubeDAC-11.  Sounds OK,  but falls way short of my main system sound. Only previous headphones I ever owned were Koss 4aa’s back in the day but one channel kicked-out on them.

I have scoured the headphone mania forum, head-fi, etc. & think that I “may” have somewhat narrowed it down to the following systems (recognizing that no headphone or amp is perfect, & that there are always compromises to fit budget,  listening preferences, etc.):

Headphone choices:  Beyer DT880 600 ohm, Sennheiser HD600,  AKG Q701, Mad Dog Fostex T50RP
Headphone Amp:  Bottlehead Crack (already built, used),  JDS Labs Objective 2, Woo Audio WA6 (used)
Interconnects:  ???  (I assume a decent  l/r rca adapter cable from DAC/preamp to headphone jack is the best route)

Currently in my main system, the “tube out” from the DAC is fed to the main amp/speakers. My preference would be to go “Line out” from the TubeDAC-11 in a preamp function to the new headphone amp. I don’t need the cans for anything other than listening from my recliner (no portability required)  to my .wav files rock/jazz/ classical library or Spotify thru the Mac Mini/ DAC. This would take my TD11 Amperex 6922 PQ gold pin tube out of the equation though for the headphones …

So for someone who:  likes tubes, inner detail, not a bass-head (but needs to be well- defined & not boomy/ muddy), hates sibilance & a too bright/ brittle sound, good soundstage, black background [Oh, and I have some high frequency hearing loss in my left ear (left handed/ ear dominant casualty of Industrial Engineering career ), so left/ right volume controls would be a bonus, but I know at a much higher cost] ...

Who can help an inexperienced headphone-wise AC brother out here with $850 burning a hole in his pocket?

FireGuy

brother love - I've had the Beyerdynamic 880's since May paired with a Schiit Vahala amp .  This combo works very well.  To me the Beryer's are extremely transparent, balanced with excellent imaging and comfortable as sin.  I would certainly put these on your list.  And, within your budget.

roscoeiii

Hmm, I think I might put some HiFiMan headphones on the list. The less efficient ones (like the HE-5LEs I use) can be run off of a speaker amp with the proper adaptor (which HiFiMan sells). You could get a speaker selector and use your main amp to power these less efficient HiFiMan headphones. Or get a vintage amp/receiver for that purpose (which might get you balance controls).

I am very interested in the Mad Dogs, since it looks like I will need a pair of closed headphones in the near future. Looking forward to reading more impressions of them.

passingthrough

• "An audiophile and his money are soon parted."
I also use a TubeDac-11's Line Out the way you're planning as my headphone source into a Project Sunrise II amp driving AKG Q701 headphones (I see the K701's are on your short list already).  I'm extremely happy with this combo and have the same SQ preferences and priorities you've listed.

The term "project" is a bit of a misnomer in the amp name because you can buy it fully built and warrantied from the company in the US that designed this amp (that's what I did).  The output impedance is easily configured for different headphones (I like the 5 Ohm setting for the Q701's) and you can use most all 6V or 12V tubes with it so you have lots of flexibility if you need it.

milford3

Don't ignore the Grado line.  My RS1i's are fantastic to say the least.  Let us know what you select.  Let the fun side of audio begin.

brother love

Oddly, I had the HiFiMan HE-400's on my short list based on this link, but for some reason left them off.   :? 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HE400

That HiFiMan speaker adapter with a speaker selector is something I will look into wrt the HE-5LEs, etc.. Seems like my little 32w amp has been used successfully as a headphone amp. 

That Project Sunrise II amp looks very interesting.

Thanks for the great  input!  Keep those cards & letters coming, boys & girls ...

randytsuch

Oddly, I had the HiFiMan HE-400's on my short list based on this link, but for some reason left them off.   :? 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HE400

That HiFiMan speaker adapter with a speaker selector is something I will look into wrt the HE-5LEs, etc.. Seems like my little 32w amp has been used successfully as a headphone amp. 

People also use speaker adapters for the HE-500, which I own.  I am using a Schiit Lyr with my 500's, and am very happy with the setup.  I bought my pair on sale, but they would still use most of your budget. 

But, if this is going to be your main mode of listening, I would spend as much as I could on the cans now knowing you will need to come up with more money for an amp (unless you just use a speaker adapter).

Randy

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
Seems like my little 32w amp has been used successfully as a headphone amp. 

If that's the case, balanced Mad Dogs should be a strong consideration.  Have Dan build you a cable that will connect directly to your amp.

Russ

dB Cooper

The new (so new that most outlets don't even have them) AKG K712 should be on your short list if (as rumored) they are a further refinement of the K702 Anniversary edition I heard at CAF. I have never been able to get into the K701, finding them glassy and shrill, although admittedly very detailed. The 702 Anniversaries kept the detail while ditching the 'bright'. MSRP is supposedly $699. Add an O2 (just the amp, no built in DAC) and you're right at your number.

(Russtafarian, your avatar made me want to get 'The Scream' to use on another BB- and I found this! Thanks!)

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
How about the Stax 2170? 
That's in your budget and you can get free shipping from Japan on eBay land.
That sounds like it might suit your listening preferences.

Another thought is where I'm headed:
Stax plus the Woo Wee
http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wee.html

You might have to shop around a bit for some used headphones to meet your budget but every so often a Stax collector puts up a dozen or so.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
(Russtafarian, your avatar made me want to get 'The Scream' to use on another BB- and I found this! Thanks!)

Is your screamer using sealed or open-air cans?  I'm guessing he's singing along to Wish You Were Here:wink:

gjclaxton@gmail.com

People also use speaker adapters for the HE-500, which I own.  I am using a Schiit Lyr with my 500's, and am very happy with the setup.  I bought my pair on sale, but they would still use most of your budget. 

But, if this is going to be your main mode of listening, I would spend as much as I could on the cans now knowing you will need to come up with more money for an amp (unless you just use a speaker adapter).

Randy
g
Given the budget, you are not going to do better than the amp you have with an adapter.  I use an HE-6 with an adapter but have heard the he-400 with an adapter on a good speaker amp and they sounded pretty good. 

dB Cooper

Is your screamer using sealed or open-air cans?  I'm guessing he's singing along to Wish You Were Here:wink:
I think they're Dre's, which is why he's screaming

brother love

Thanks for all the recommends thus far.  8)

I also use a TubeDac-11's Line Out the way you're planning as my headphone source into a Project Sunrise II amp driving AKG Q701 headphones (I see the K701's are on your short list already).  I'm extremely happy with this combo and have the same SQ preferences and priorities you've listed.

The term "project" is a bit of a misnomer in the amp name because you can buy it fully built and warrantied from the company in the US that designed this amp (that's what I did).  The output impedance is easily configured for different headphones (I like the 5 Ohm setting for the Q701's) and you can use most all 6V or 12V tubes with it so you have lots of flexibility if you need it.

I researched this amp further, & the 6v tube capabilties is identical to the TubeDAC-11 (of which you no doubt already know).  Since I have a half dozen tubes for the TD-11, it is an added bonus to get the Project Sunrise II & get free tube rolling in the process!

Right now I am leaning towards the Mr. Speakers Mad Dog Fostex T50RP's (50 ohm, 98 dB /mW sensitivity). Since this is similar to AKG K701's (62 ohm, 105 dB/ mW), & my listening levels are 85 dB max, I assume this amp is more than adquate for my needs?

BTW, we close on the condo later today, so my headphone/ amp research will intensify ...

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
g
Given the budget, you are not going to do better than the amp you have with an adapter.  I use an HE-6 with an adapter but have heard the he-400 with an adapter on a good speaker amp and they sounded pretty good.

Not really a headphonista myself, but this seems like good advice, particularly as you know the amp unit and have different tubes to roll with it.

Blow the wad on the best headphone you can afford. I love the Audeze lcd2 - even more than the 3. Magic with Woo Audio headphone amps. Shouldn't be impossible to get an early gen used one @ your budget. I've never heard anything I liked more, though the Sennheiser 800 at 50% more new had it's charms and would be #2 for me if not for the price.

bigjppop

I'm a big fan of the Senn HD-650 (and have been for years). From your musical preference, I think you'd love them. I just ordered the Bottlehead Crack w/speedball because everyone raves about the combo and I need another setup for my office. I've been driving them with the Darkvoice 337 which is also an awesome combo.

I've used the Woo WA6 and unfortunately it didn't do it for me; I think the main problem was my source only had about a 1V output and it just wasn't enough to drive the WA6 properly.

Anyway, my vote is Senn HD-650 (or HD-600) with the Bottlehead.

P.S. If I can scoop up a pair of HiFiman HE-500s used I'm thinking of trying them with my Darkvoice and moving the Senns to work with the Bottlehead. Should be fun!

toocool4

Also try the Beyerdynamic T90, just amazing  :thumb:

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
+1 for T90..Pretty sweet sounding for the price!
I very much like mine paired with a woo wa 6.

adydula

• Restricted
http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/06/sennheiser-hd-650.html

I have the Audeze LCD2's, AKG 702's, Q701, Grado 325is, Beyer DTR 1350 CC's.
I has owned, Schiit Lyr, Schitt ASGARD, Objective O2, several DIY amps.

Sold most of the stuff and kept the Objective 2 amp, have 2 of them now, very inexpensive and very good performer.

The Audeze are wonderful but pricey.

The 701 and 702 sound the same to me, the Q701 costs less, very articulate, not boomy at all.

The Senn 650's look very enticing to me....pairs very well with the O2 as you can see in his blog.

Good Luck...getting there is half the fun!

Alex

jim1274

Hmmmm...surprised nobody suggested checking out the Audio-Technica ATH-M50's.  These were my choice of a couple dozen auditioned over the holidays and was able to get them for just over a hundred bucks on Amazon.  Head-Fi is a good resource for headphone reviews, and the M50's are pretty well regarded there.  This is a good list to peruse: http://www.head-fi.org/products/category/over-ear

I did an exhaustive review of any recommended lists I could find, went to all the local joints that had headphones to audition, bought about a half dozen promising ones not available locally, and the only ones I kept were the  ATH-M50's and the Rock It Sounds R-Shield (incredible isolation in a pretty neutral sounding package)

Headphones need to be auditioned IMHO--reviews and suggestions only take you so far--some pricey and well regarded ones failed to impress as much as I wanted to like them.