SMPS vs LPS group test (SMSL, TereDak, iPower, 9V battery etc.)

DigitalMana

Original from here:

Part 1: http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_1323b8cac0102wtkz.html
Part 2: http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_1323b8cac0102wv7l.html

I asked the author for the permission to translate into English, so here we are. Beware that most of the translation was done by google, I didn’t fix the grammar (which I wasn’t that good neither), I just amend it so some totally meaningless phases now become readable.   The full translation is posted here:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/power-supply-8-group-test-linear-power-supply-and-switchedmode-power-supply-31879/

As the post is fairly long, let me just repost the Test Summary and my own conclusions here:

Test Summary (translated):

Finished statistics data, the picture is more clear.

Do not know whether it is test instrument issue or a human issue. Most specifications on power supply seems unrealistic. We later added some of the daily used items, battery banks, phone charger the first, battery for additional reference.

iFi iPower 9V HiFi SMPS 100% win over HIFI LPS, from the power measured, and the ripple test, with eye dropping new technology, traditional idea on SMPS to be reversed.

SMPS vs LPS is no longer the issue, now really depends on the actual product.

Before the posting I shared the article with other friends, they pointed out that most LPSs are not done by regular manufacturers, but by a personal studios.

As SMPS and LPS compared, SMPS is much more complex to design , not simply stacking with audiophile components. LPS is relatively simple. But iFi in addition to the power also has DAC, amplifier, etc., especially the IDSD DAC, and it’s a British brand and so on. It is not difficult to see that the technical reserves are not comparable to the personal studio ah.

Thanks to the cousin to accompany the whole day, from day to night (with power outage in the middle), the next opportunity to see if he dare to show his face, thank you for reading.

------- Translation Ended-------

DigitalMana

My Conclusion:
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2017, 05:37 am »
My Conclusions

I hope the translation was not too difficult to read  :lol:

To help the readers here, I have put together a scoring system (our of 100, IMHO) and a few conclusions:

1. 95 Nanfu 9V alkaline battery

2. 93 iFi iPower 9V SMPS

3. 90 ZERO-ZONE SUPER-PSU

4. 80 TeraDak TeraLink X2

5. 65 Breeze Audio DC-1 / S.M.S.L Panda dual 9V (both flawed)

6. 55 Apple charger

7. 50 Xiaomi 10040mAh battery bank

The best is the 9V battery (not surprised).

The SMPS based iFi iPower is so close to the battery was a surprise.

Many LPSs didn’t do well at all was another surprise.

LPS is NOT guaranteed to have good performance, need to pick very carefully too, e.g. Zero Zone will be a good one.

SMPS is generally not as good as LPS except the iFi iPower, which has better performance than the LPS.

Pez

This post somehow escaped my watchful eye! Thank you for taking the time again.

Odal3

Thanks for sharing!

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
Re: My Conclusion:
« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2017, 02:40 am »
My Conclusions

I hope the translation was not too difficult to read  :lol:

To help the readers here, I have put together a scoring system (our of 100, IMHO) and a few conclusions:

1. 95 Nanfu 9V alkaline battery

2. 93 iFi iPower 9V SMPS

3. 90 ZERO-ZONE SUPER-PSU

4. 80 TeraDak TeraLink X2

5. 65 Breeze Audio DC-1 / S.M.S.L Panda dual 9V (both flawed)

6. 55 Apple charger

7. 50 Xiaomi 10040mAh battery bank

The best is the 9V battery (not surprised).

The SMPS based iFi iPower is so close to the battery was a surprise.

Many LPSs didn’t do well at all was another surprise.

LPS is NOT guaranteed to have good performance, need to pick very carefully too, e.g. Zero Zone will be a good one.

SMPS is generally not as good as LPS except the iFi iPower, which has better performance than the LPS.

All i can say is i agree and disagree
First it depends on quality of PS and many other factors
Generally you give a good general indication on quality of PSs
*Battery is good but as it discharges distortion and malfunction comes up
*LPSs are the best if designed by expertise engineer
*SMPSs need to be improved (how?,hot cake, proprietary,sorry)

Rusty Jefferson

Switching power supplies aren't always bad despite their frequent criticism. Cheap, and or poorly designed ones will sound bad, however. All of David Berning's ZOTL amplifiers use switching supplies and I've never heard/read anything but praise for them. There are few absolutes.  :)