Exotica 3's customized to the max

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Exotica 3's customized to the max
« Reply #140 on: 1 Jan 2015, 11:06 pm »
Sin away!  I'm getting farther and farther out there away from mediocrity headed toward nirvana.  Slowly, but getting there.
Well, it's a new year.  When do you tell the story about your experience with the components that you were having issues with? 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #141 on: 1 Jan 2015, 11:22 pm »
Well, it's a new year.  When do you tell the story about your experience with the components that you were having issues with?

If I do it will be in a different thread.  Not sure I will though.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #142 on: 1 Jan 2015, 11:26 pm »
If I do it will be in a different thread.  Not sure I will though.
OK, then just PM me. 

Folsom

« Reply #143 on: 1 Jan 2015, 11:42 pm »
They're white, does this mean you had to repaint and get new furniture pieces? :green:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #144 on: 4 Jan 2015, 02:48 am »
Is your equipment list on your system page current?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #145 on: 6 Jan 2015, 02:46 am »
Okay, installed my new TotalDac USB cable which just arrived via FedEx from France.  One of those: what the hell is that, oh wow, ooh didn't know that was there, interesting, is that more separation, not sure, maybe some more hours are needed,.....hopeful.

It is always a shock to your body to hear so much change from a single cable.  When I updated to Acoustic Zen cables I heard a nice improvement, but not a shock.

I didn't know a digital cable could make such a change to the bass.  Now I have only just plugged it in and have one whole hour on it but immediately I thought the top end was extinguished for the worse.  No edgy attack.  Way more laid back.  Soft even.  The bass came alive and instead of breaking up on deep notes they held up with even more power.

The more I listened the more moments of quiet I heard between notes and the more real some things sounded - electric guitars, female vocals, saxophone.

Maybe Vincent is really onto something with his filter network.  I need more time because it feels like much of the top end is smoothed out but maybe that is hash.  I might need to up the volume one more click to compensate.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #146 on: 6 Jan 2015, 02:52 am »
Okay, installed my new TotalDac USB cable which just arrived via FedEx from France.  One of those: what the hell is that, oh wow, ooh didn't know that was there, interesting, is that more separation, not sure, maybe some more hours are needed,.....hopeful.

It is always a shock to your body to hear so much change from a single cable.  When I updated to Acoustic Zen cables I heard a nice improvement, but not a shock.

I didn't know a digital cable could make such a change to the bass.  Now I have only just plugged it in and have one whole hour on it but immediately I thought the top end was extinguished for the worse.  No edgy attack.  Way more laid back.  Soft even.  The bass came alive and instead of breaking up on deep notes they held up with even more power.

The more I listened the more moments of quiet I heard between notes and the more real some things sounded - electric guitars, female vocals, saxophone.

Maybe Vincent is really onto something with his filter network.  I need more time because it feels like much of the top end is smoothed out but maybe that is hash.  I might need to up the volume one more click to compensate.

Wow, if you think it's that good right off the bat, wait about 3 or 4 days and it will show you what it can really do. Great cable!

sfox7076

« Reply #147 on: 6 Jan 2015, 03:07 am »
Had the same experience with the Dana USB cable.  Would love to find a way to A/B them.

Early B.

« Reply #148 on: 6 Jan 2015, 04:48 am »
That's great, Red. I had a similar experience recently when I switched from an RCA digital cable to HDMI (I have a PS Audio Perfectwave transport). The bass improved significantly. 

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #149 on: 23 Jan 2015, 07:43 am »
Lack of remote control is wearing on me, but the damn preamp is so awesome.  I am considering many options including a Bent or perhaps a dac that acts like a preamp (although many who do this miss the preamp in the chain).  But I'll tell you what, it sounds mighty fine.  Now if I can swing some High Fidelity cables to try....

Wow Pete, fabulous design and way to go Salk team

Since you are no longer in the vinyl stage look at the new Doshi linestage

The prior full function Aalap totally transformed my system, it has a phono and line stage that many say is second to none or at least not without spending totally stupid money

Nick Doshi is out of Virginia but Larry Marcus at Paragon Sight and Sound in Ann Arbor is his Exclusive rep. Just incredible and the new line stage has a remote. This is a different league.  Doshiaudio.com

As far as cables, i have AZ holograms and Satori Shotgun. Now relegated to my ht. Very nice and tonally correct.  I tried out a modestly priced cable - Crimson Audio out of Austin texas from buzz I read on Audiogon. I am generally one to never buy cables new, but I am so glad I did. Creston Funk is great and they have incredible prescence. The ICs are great too.  They dont look like much and are not garden hoses but dont let that fool you  I've tried a lot of stuff but these are staying. Wow

Again congrats of the speakers!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #150 on: 25 Jan 2015, 02:35 pm »
Yes, Doshi is highly regarded.

I'll check out the Crimson cables.

The E3's are just frickin' amazing speakers.  Couldn't be happier.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #151 on: 26 Jan 2015, 03:42 pm »
great to hear Pete!

you really put so much thought into those speakers and crates.

perhaps you should design crates for Jim to haul things off to shows  - with pop out wheels on bottoms

Having SS7s and SS10s,  I know having the tops isolated from the woofer drivers in the SS10s make a big difference - Jim's spare no expense approach, like your customization

As tempting as it is to have Jim take one of those exotic wood finishes, that white look with the metal inlay is so classy 

with any luck Larry might lend you out a Doshi line stage to try at home over a weekend.  A short trip to Ann Arbor - they have some great music stores and ethnic restaurants

I've been meaning to visit Larry's showroom  and see Jim again when I'm up visiting the family but I didn't go home last summer

cheers

Big Red Machine

« Reply #152 on: 29 Mar 2015, 03:33 pm »
Added power conditioning:

Most recently I had the Walker Velocitor - had an interesting effect, was way overpriced for the technology inside, and at the end of the day was a major ripoff to anyone who might have bought one brand new.  What I learned was that the QRT technology was very effective and I moved in that direction.

Tried a small Silver Circle Audio power block that was not equipped any more inside than the Felix.  It was very damaging to the sound, but did help the noise.

I started experimenting with Audio Magic Gen ZX's and PEA's to great effect.  I ended up hard wiring a Gen ZX into each monoblock, placed a small PEA over the circuit breaker (highly recommended), and then eventually put a medium PEA over each monoblock's grates as well.

The Kemp QRT's also work very well and are adjustable.  The cheapest QRT technology you can buy.

I still have a Running Springs Duke I used on the amps to great effect.  I have not tried it in combination with my latest XXX unit from Audio Magic yet.

One thing for sure is that sibilance is completely gone with AM gear and the noise level is significantly reduced.  Not 100% gone but way better than prior setups.

Here are some recent photos:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #153 on: 29 Mar 2015, 04:06 pm »
I had the big AM conditioner and a few pulse gen's.  I found they really constricted the sound and were overpriced for what they were.  Glad they work for you though. 

strat95

« Reply #154 on: 30 Mar 2015, 02:50 am »
Added power conditioning:

Most recently I had the Walker Velocitor - had an interesting effect, was way overpriced for the technology inside, and at the end of the day was a major ripoff to anyone who might have bought one brand new.  What I learned was that the QRT technology was very effective and I moved in that direction.

Tried a small Silver Circle Audio power block that was not equipped any more inside than the Felix.  It was very damaging to the sound, but did help the noise.

I started experimenting with Audio Magic Gen ZX's and PEA's to great effect.  I ended up hard wiring a Gen ZX into each monoblock, placed a small PEA over the circuit breaker (highly recommended), and then eventually put a medium PEA over each monoblock's grates as well.

The Kemp QRT's also work very well and are adjustable.  The cheapest QRT technology you can buy.

I still have a Running Springs Duke I used on the amps to great effect.  I have not tried it in combination with my latest XXX unit from Audio Magic yet.

One thing for sure is that sibilance is completely gone with AM gear and the noise level is significantly reduced.  Not 100% gone but way better than prior setups.

Here are some recent photos:

What's a PEA?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #155 on: 30 Mar 2015, 02:45 pm »
A P.E.A. is:

http://www.audio-magic.com/Prod-PEA.html

It is similar to QRT (Quantum Resonance Theory) but not exactly the same.  PEAs are often referred to as Spintronics, but I am not sure that is accurate from my readings on Spintronics (still trying to wrap my head around this).  Aligning electroncs so they are all going in the same direction and therefore do not make "noise" by being chaotic is what I believe a PEA is supposed to do.  Something like that. Whatever it is, it seems to clean up the sound and in my application does not impede any flow of music.  Quite the opposite, it seems to "free up" the sound and provide more detail.

strat95

« Reply #156 on: 31 Mar 2015, 02:10 am »
A P.E.A. is:

http://www.audio-magic.com/Prod-PEA.html

It is similar to QRT (Quantum Resonance Theory) but not exactly the same.  PEAs are often referred to as Spintronics, but I am not sure that is accurate from my readings on Spintronics (still trying to wrap my head around this).  Aligning electroncs so they are all going in the same direction and therefore do not make "noise" by being chaotic is what I believe a PEA is supposed to do.  Something like that. Whatever it is, it seems to clean up the sound and in my application does not impede any flow of music.  Quite the opposite, it seems to "free up" the sound and provide more detail.

Well thanks for the explanation and the link.  I had not heard of this before.  If you place a PEA over a breaker and it aligns your electrons at that location, how does it prevent those same electrons from becoming un-aligned by the time they reach your components?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #157 on: 31 Mar 2015, 11:52 am »
Well thanks for the explanation and the link.  I had not heard of this before.  If you place a PEA over a breaker and it aligns your electrons at that location, how does it prevent those same electrons from becoming un-aligned by the time they reach your components?

No idea, perhaps it is Audio 'Magic'?  ha

sfox7076

« Reply #158 on: 31 Mar 2015, 12:40 pm »
Scientists have been working on electron alignment for a long time.  It could replace binary language for computing.  Basically that would redefine the world.  But they have not been able to alighn the electron's spin outside of a ferrite core with anything small enough to work.  And once out of the core, alignment is lost.  I don't buy PEA tech.  I am glad it works for you, but to me, it is doing something else, not aligning the spin of the electrons. 

sts9fan

« Reply #159 on: 31 Mar 2015, 01:11 pm »
Gotta find something to spend cash on right?  Gotta feed the monkey.