FLAC-HD??

rydenfan

FLAC-HD??
« on: 26 Oct 2009, 08:44 pm »
Phish is now offering 24/96 downloads  :drool: They are calling it FLAC-HD. FLAC-HD is a new term to me, I am curious if anyone else has heard this term?

http://www.livephish.com/packages/2,21/Phish-mp3-flac-download-Festival-8.html

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: FLAC-HD??
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2009, 08:52 pm »
FLAC-HD looks simply to be their term to differentiate files that have been compressed to FLAC redbook vs hirez files to FLAC 24/96.    FLAC has always been able to store hirez content, but in FLAC mode it doesn't look any different until you check the metadata (bit depth, sample rate, etc.).  I think "HD" is a great way to explain hirez content; very much like listening in "high definition".

Coconut Phil

« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2009, 11:49 am »
 :scratch:Phish has not really explained the details on this. Will this load to Itunes? How will you burn it? Need any special software? This looks nice, I'll stay away and let others go first?

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2009, 12:03 pm »
Coconut Phil,
FLAC should need little explanation.  It is the most widely used lossless compression format; it will play natively on some players (Squeezboxes, etc.), but needs to be converted to WAV, AIFF or ALAC to play losslessly on iTunes.  It's not a Phish issue per se.  It's just like any other FLAC download (HDTracks, Linn, etc.)

To burn FLAC, convert it to WAV.  http://flac.sourceforge.net/documentation_tasks.html

To burn higher resolution "FLAC-HD" (24/96) refer to the thread about burning high rez to DVD Audio discs.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=69002.0
« Last Edit: 28 Oct 2009, 01:59 pm by ted_b »

rydenfan

« Reply #4 on: 28 Oct 2009, 01:58 pm »
Phil, I believe Ted laid out everything you need to know. But I just want to re-iterate that it is a very simple process. The only other step you would need to do, depending on which player and computer you use, is to change your Audio Midi setting to play at the proper resolution.

I have changed my pre-order to the new 24/96 downloads so Zybar and I should be able to comment shortly on how they sound in comparison to the standard ones.

Should be an amazing weekend  :drool:

Coconut Phil

« Reply #5 on: 28 Oct 2009, 03:47 pm »
Howdy, yes I know how to use FLAC, I convert to AIFF then burn. I'm not sure about the FLAC-HD. Will you be able to burn to CD-R for playback? The site says you will need to playback in Bluray or DVD? I'm all for the better sound and will upgrade my prepay if I know for sure I'll be able to play this in my car, and on my Bose player? Will Itunes be able to handle this format? I have the Neil Young Archives on Bluray, the sound is incredible. I know Phish will sound killer. Please advise? Thanks.

Phil

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 28 Oct 2009, 04:14 pm »
Phil
I included, for your convenience, the "burn hirez stuff" link for this reason.  Have you not read it?  A 24/96 FLAC file cannot be ripped onto CD-R, but it can be ripped onto DVD-R and played in any DVD machine via PCM (like Neil's Massey Hall or Greatest Hits on DVD linear 24/96 PCM).  Do you have a DVD-Audio player in your car (I do, plays hirez and 5.1 DTS and DVD-Audio surround)?  iTunes can play hirez files (if you convert the FLAC-HD to 24/96 AIFF) but what 24/96 DAC do you have to play them with? 

Remember, this is the HiRez forum, so things here are not vanilla cd (16/44.1) but the higher resolutions that get you sound closer to pure analog.   

leftjab

« Reply #7 on: 4 Nov 2009, 06:56 am »
Thanks for this thread on the Phish "FLAC-HD" downloads and the link to the"how to burn Hi-Rez downloads," which has clued me into the first time for the possibility of a potentially simple process for 24/96 downloads, and for the music I'm loving the most right now.  Festival 8 was surely an amazing weekend musically and otherwise, and I eagerly await Rydenfan's report before I decide whether to purchase the FLAC-HD download rather than the normal FLAC.  I have downloaded the trial version of DVD-Audio Solo, and might have some further questions pertaining to my modest system that is capable of 24/96 playback and beyond.  It will be a huge boost for 24/96 downloads if a lot of Phish fans support this process, which could occur if it's relatively simple.

But to hedge my bets in case my system doesn't work as I think it should and so I'm only out the $20 difference between the normal FLAC and FLAC-HD downloads, I am wondering whether it's possible to convert the FLAC-HD 24/96 to a .wav 16/44.1 file that can be burnt to a normal CD.  I know that is against the sensibilities of a high-rez forum, but for those of us without capable systems in some places like cars it is still a useful piece of information.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 4 Nov 2009, 02:33 pm »
Yes, you can use software like DBPoweramp (if on a Windows based pc) or Wave Editor or Sample manager (on a Mac) to down convert to 16/44.  It's not the worst strategy; downsampling is less work and less guessing than upsampling.

rydenfan

« Reply #9 on: 4 Nov 2009, 06:36 pm »
I just did it last night to be able to listen to these shows in my car while driving to work  :D

Even the 16/44.1 MP3 sounds really good so I cannot wait to listen to the 24/96

leftjab

« Reply #10 on: 5 Nov 2009, 04:43 am »
I'm downloading the FLAC-HDs now, and will report back on my progress burning DVD-A and DVD-Video audio tracks, and downconverting for CD purposes.  Thanks very much, ted_b & rydenfan.

jriggy

« Reply #11 on: 14 Nov 2009, 07:50 pm »
Any opinions on these yet?

rydenfan

« Reply #12 on: 24 Nov 2009, 08:12 pm »
I think the 24/96 recording from Indio are excellent. Really nice sense of depth and space with more prominent low end. I will always take a little more Mike  :wink:

I opted to go 16/44.1 for the Fall Tour because they are 24/48 which seems kind of odd but being on the road may make it difficult. I am hopeful the New Years run in Miami will be 24/96.

leftjab

« Reply #13 on: 29 Jan 2010, 10:25 pm »
Sorry for the delay in thanking you for the guidelines on how to burn DVD-A's from these downloads, and downrez the files if need be.  I had some unrelated computer issues crop up before I was able to burn all of the Festival 8 DVD-A discs, hence the delay, but now everything's working again.  The Miami New Year Run shows sound great, and were a fitting end to a triumphant 2009 for Phish.

rebelbaserec

« Reply #14 on: 27 Apr 2010, 06:22 pm »
Just thought i'd jump in with my 2 cents since I just did this w/ Umphrey's UMBowl on a Mac.  I converted the FLAC-HD using MAX to Apple Lossless (which keeps the 24/96, but at almost half the file size) for listening on my computer and streaming to my home theater. I then created a 16/44 WAV using iTunes for my iPod and CDs.  Everything sounds great, even the vanilla!

Berto

« Reply #15 on: 27 Apr 2010, 06:35 pm »
Phish is now offering 24/96 downloads  :drool: They are calling it FLAC-HD. FLAC-HD is a new term to me, I am curious if anyone else has heard this term?

http://www.livephish.com/packages/2,21/Phish-mp3-flac-download-Festival-8.html

Did'nt read the whole thread yet but check out etree.org there traders database has alot of 24 bit recordings' Phish, Widespread Panic , GOvt Mule, DMB , Dead, etc, etc. Price is great too > FREE!!!!!