Ressurecting the G2

chris669

Ressurecting the G2
« on: 21 Jun 2011, 02:17 am »
Mike,

I am new to the board but not a stranger to ACI, having had my G2's for at least 20 years and built them from a full kit back in the day. I am in the process of taking them out of mothballs and putting them back into service. First thing I know I have to do is to replace the foam surrounds. I have a repair service here in NC that will do the work for me at a very reasonable price so I may leave it to him to ensure i do not get the cones misaligned.

The Tweeters are original Seas H398 and at least one got dented in the moves. Do you know if Seas units are still available? I thought I had heard there may be a Vifa replacement that would drop in to the crossover design? My thought is to use a matched pair and replace with your recommendation. Midranges seem OK upon inspection, also Seas units in the sealed cups. The crossover is the original standard version, not upgraded components. Not sure how much you tweaked the design in later generations of the G2.

These speakers are beloved and the cabinets still look fantastic after all the years in a clear natural oak finish.

Any suggestions you can give are much appreciated. This sounded like a fun project that your readers may enjoy.

Chris H

Mike Dzurko

Re: Ressurecting the G2
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2011, 04:22 pm »
I don't think Seas still makes that unit, but a google search will tell you for sure. I'm headed out right now to help build an airplane, but when I get back tonight or tomorrow, I'll long up the Vifa model # that we used in the G2R. It was a D27, but don't remember the rest of the numbers . . .

chris669

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2011, 10:03 pm »
Great thanks!

chris669

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2011, 12:46 pm »
Mike,

One other option, I found that Madisound has replacement voice coils for the Seas units, that may be the easiest fix? Checking stock...

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jun 2011, 02:53 pm »
Replacement VCs would be a good way to go. If possible, I'd do both. . .

chris669

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jun 2011, 08:00 pm »
Madisound had two in stock for a very reasonable 26.00 each. Got a pair...and going to swap em both out. I have my AC-10's being repaired with new surounds so in a week or so we are back in business!

Thanks!

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jun 2011, 01:23 pm »
Sounds like you'll have a pair of like new G2s :)   My son still has a pair he uses frequently.

chris669

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jun 2011, 11:52 pm »
Sure will, I did find out the new surrounds are a urethane based foam vs the original latex based, so they should hold up for a long long time if I can keep my four year old clear of them!

What kind of cables did you have him go with, the DH Labs T-14?

chris669

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jul 2011, 01:18 am »
Progress report...Big success!

Got the speakers back from a excellent service here in Greensboro. Thore Speaker Repair, they had them done in 3 days with new urethane foam surrounds, and they look great.

Bought two SEAS replacement voice coils from Madisound, and installed them and the rebuilt woofers today.
Total installation time for all was about an hour or less.

Result? Sounds as good as the G2 did the day I completed them in '89...

Ran through some Kronos Quartet, Dead Can Dance, Front 242, and Gavin Friday, to name a few. Even before breaking them in, the sound is spine tingling. I now remember why I loved these bad boys so much...Total cost 120 bucks, result, priceless...

Thanks Mike,

Grinning like a Cheshire Cat....