Why do we seem to be seeing less audiophiles?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Why do we seem to be seeing less audiophiles?
« Reply #120 on: 20 Jan 2018, 11:47 pm »
Yeah, I found that comment poorly stated, or poorly informed.

simoon

« Reply #121 on: 20 Jan 2018, 11:53 pm »
The times have changed since I was a kid in the 70s.  The record stores would have a stereo section and maybe even a head shop.  The owners were into it and you could hear all sorts of things you couldn't afford for yourself.

Recently this one woman listened to my stereo and her jaw dropped.
She said where could someone go to find stuff like this and my answer was you can't as there's no place that carries all of the stuff that I have.  The closest place would be maybe around Baltimore which is 50 miles away but in order to source all of the different components to put it together you'd be running all over the country.
That's what make sites like this so great - you find someone whose ears you trust and take it from there.

Almost everytime one of my girlfriends son's friends hears my system, they comment on how incredible it sounds. They are able to easily tell the  difference between what they hear on their portable audio, and a real system. What we can hope for, is that the experience of hearing a real system sticks with them, and they get into the hobby in the future.

I guess we are a bit lucky here in LA. There are a few good brick and mortar high end shops still around. A few are pretty recent.

It looks like many people are using regional audio shows (RMAF, THE Show, AXPONA, Munich, etc) as substitutes for brick and mortar stores. They do their auditioning and shopping at the shows.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #122 on: 21 Jan 2018, 12:15 am »
The problem here in my part of So Cal is that it's really difficult to become an audiophile now. When I was an up and coming teenager, there was Pacific Stereo and Federated (remember the 'Fred Rated' commercials?) along with Radio Shack. It was easy to put together a great system for whatever your budget happened to be. Hell, I still have a pair or RS Mach IIs up in the attic.

Now, there are no 'stereo-centric' stores like that. Most of the prices we audiophiles play with are simply beyond a young person's means. Then when they do want to jump in, they want Bose.   :duh:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #123 on: 21 Jan 2018, 01:09 am »

Ideally, that is what should happen anytime an outsider is exposed to our hobby.  :thumb:

Genez

« Reply #124 on: 21 Jan 2018, 01:29 am »
Well said Elizabeth.
For the vast majority, a high end system was a Pioneer receiver and a Dual turntable.  When I moved up to a Teac RTR and Advent speakers, that was as good as it was going to get for a young married guy.  I didn't even know anyone with separates. 
Audiophiles have always been <.01% of the listening public.  I doubt if our numbers have significantly changed.

I don't know if you're old enough to remember....back in those days I used to sell Pioneer.  Where I worked we sold Pioneer, Sansui, Hitachi, Kenwood, etc.  Those were very good.  Teac was definitely high end for reel to reel.  Yamaha receivers were semi high end.  Yamaha sat between them and the high end.  Luxman was high end back then.  Bang and Olufsen was high end as well.  McIntosh was ultra high end.

That time was an era of many happy listeners who were just beginning to learn about audio truths.  Truths that later evolved and led us to what we now see in high end today.

Doublej

« Reply #125 on: 21 Jan 2018, 01:34 am »
The problem here in my part of So Cal is that it's really difficult to become an audiophile now. When I was an up and coming teenager, there was Pacific Stereo and Federated (remember the 'Fred Rated' commercials?) along with Radio Shack. It was easy to put together a great system for whatever your budget happened to be. Hell, I still have a pair or RS Mach IIs up in the attic.

Now, there are no 'stereo-centric' stores like that. Most of the prices we audiophiles play with are simply beyond a young person's means. Then when they do want to jump in, they want Bose.   :duh:

If you are willing to drive an hourish there's Upscale Audio.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #126 on: 21 Jan 2018, 01:36 am »
She said where could someone go to find stuff like this and my answer was you can't as there's no place that carries all of the stuff that I have. 
In the TV area this solution is ready and very cheap, any 32'' Led TV is cheap and offer good image at an remote control click.
This give an idea of how much backward audiophilia is.
Ideally, that is what should happen anytime an outsider is exposed to our hobby.  :thumb:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #127 on: 21 Jan 2018, 01:48 am »
If you are willing to drive an hourish there's Upscale Audio.

Oh yeah, Uncle Kevvy is great. I have a lifetime supply of NOS Telefunkens from Upscale.  8)

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #128 on: 21 Jan 2018, 11:33 am »

If you think Southern California is lacking in audio shops come to the center of the country.   :( :roll: :oops:

One audio shop within 60 miles of me (mostly A/V).  No one there has ever attended an audio show, the only sources are CDP and DVD players, their best brand of speakers are Paradigm.  It's been years since I bothered stopping in (while in the area).  Asked them if they'd ever heard a stand alone DAC, a chip amp, or CD quality internet streaming.  Their answer was no, and at that point I gave up on them.
« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2018, 01:25 pm by JLM »

bacobits1

« Reply #129 on: 21 Jan 2018, 12:20 pm »
My area is not so great either. I joke every time I go in and see the offerings. Nothing for the average shmo. No returns on ordered items no discounts. Nice!
B&M is dead. There is no attraction to go in any of these places. If you have a large pocket of money....
You don't have the brains to choose wisely. It's a "here's 20 k set me up situation". Who the hell is buying 5 k power conditioners?
The key word is dollars newbies won't or don't have the $$ for this?
We're getting old and leaving this Earth. :lol:

Freo-1

« Reply #130 on: 21 Jan 2018, 03:58 pm »
This area of the country has a fair number of shops within 2 hours of driving to evaluate systems/equipment.  While that is somewhat helpful, it's still not the same as auditioning in your own home listening space. 

Reviews of components are a mixed bag at best.  It seems like almost all the reviews are positive overall, which really isn't helpful.  If the review contains measurements, and you have enough of a background to work out what the measurements are showing, that is more useful.

So, most of us either go on instinct, or will make decisions on equipment purchases based on what we have already been exposed to. 

To me, the best way to spread the word about high quality sound reproduction is to demonstrate our systems to our friends when they stop by to visit.   

rustydoglim

« Reply #131 on: 21 Jan 2018, 06:19 pm »
Genez, thanks for starting this conversation. I will like to address what we can do as a manufacturer to survive is this age and help new audiophiles discover and enjoy this hobby.
First and foremost, to provide as much information as possible for consumer to make an informed decision or become curious enough to explore further:
- link to online forum audiocircle.com
- provide customer written blogs (we have a program asking people to write an article and offer gift as reward)
   http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/customers-blog/
- provide information about how we design our products (we are not a box maker, you get original R&D here). 
- provide information about audio basics.  How to appreciate better sound, how-to guides.
- advertise on social media like Facebook (we need to do a better job of getting in front of new music lovers to tell them there is better equipment and how to get them).

And most importantly, develop affordable products. 

In some countries (especially France where we have a good following), there are still a lot of young people interested in 2 channel audio and looking for better sound.  But the price for a good system has to be under $1000.  I think this is the entry point for this hobby. Once it becomes a hobby, people will continue to upgrade and expand their systems.
Manufacturers such as NuPrime are already offering high-end audio at very affordable price. As time has changed, we need to adapt and get in front of new potential customers.

simoon

« Reply #132 on: 21 Jan 2018, 06:48 pm »

Not sure where you live in So Cal, but there are several good shops in the area.

Brian Berdan's shop in Pasadena, Audio Element has systems starting at under $1000 and going up to the extreme high end.

Ahead Stereo on Beverly has a fair amount of lower priced and mid fi.

Shelley Stereo in the Valley caries a pretty wide range of equipment.

The Source in Torrance has a very large store, with many showrooms.

There's also: Audio High on La Brea, Venice Audio, Monaco in Pasadena, Evolution Audio in Agoura, Optimal Enchantment in Santa Monica, Audiophile Zone in Vista del Mar, Weinert Design in Los Angeles, Speaker City in Burbank, Brooks Berdan in Monrovia, and others.

Like I said ini my previous post, Los Angeles has a fair amount of brick and mortars.

rustydoglim

« Reply #133 on: 21 Jan 2018, 07:00 pm »
But they don't carry NuPrime (this is NuPrime circle so I have to point out).
Summit Audio (John Casler contact is listed on our website).
We selling high-end products at mid-fi price, so a lot of dealers don't want to carry them.

bacobits1

« Reply #134 on: 21 Jan 2018, 07:09 pm »
Of course these places go after high margin sales. NO doubt NuPrime makes nice stuff, but never heard any products.
I like the form factor too! I do think you are better off with direct sales model the products will speak for themselves.

2bigears

« Reply #135 on: 21 Jan 2018, 07:10 pm »
 :D Answer is simply:  why do we see more homeless people. Why is it that a 500 dollar blip in a home budget would send 50% scrambling ,,,,  Jim Morrison ,, This Is The End ,,,,, ha.   Listen and learn.   :D

Genez

« Reply #136 on: 21 Jan 2018, 07:51 pm »
When a culture has a majority of happy invigorated people, a good audio system is simply a basic need in life for every household.

When a culture has been victimized by a manipulative agenda of elitists over a period of generations? ..  The people lose their sense of vigor and happiness.    Audio is no longer a basic accepted norm and need.  It then becomes therapeutic as a means to cope. When a people are happy many will seek. When a people are suffering the consequences of bad choices made over the years by those in charge?.. What's there if be enthusiastic about?

When people used to laugh and clap their hands without the need of LAUGH machines.... or canned laughter in entertainment?  Audio was a hot item.  When society followed wrong ways that only made the narcissists happy and everyone else to suffer?  Audio became a castle to hide oneself in as a means for escaping the world around them, rather than celebrating the world around them.   

That is why happy songs with funny clever lyrics we don't hear hardly anymore.  Romance in songs or melody has been hidden away in some dark sanitarium.  Why instrumental music that once made your foot tap and bring a smile to the face is not being recorded today.... And,  why audio has been taken over by a tyrannical darkened recording industry that will not give us recordings that showcase the joys of experiencing the room in which the music was performed by musicians playing together.   Today,  musicians may be thousands of miles away and adding their part to a track without having a live interchange with the other performers.  Progress?  I don't think so. 

So, who wants a more accurate system for hearing bad news?  If a majority musicians could begin to fly right and would recapture the zest for life other generations once knew? The demand for truly better sounding equipment would have more of a demand.  Instrument tone?  A happy sounding melody?   Clever, joy inducing, rhythms that are not drug induced?   Can't move a depressed people with that kind of sound unless they can identify with it.  Its been gone for some time now.

The world is a mess today , but its always been.  But never to this extreme. .  Its one reason why I believe vinyl records are having a comeback to time travel to a time before the world got so dragged down to the level we find ourselves today.   Digital can be superior.  But without superior quality musicianship?  Its being wasted upon a world digging itself down in dissipation from mental abuse.

I was a musician who could have made a very good living playing professionally.  I quite cold turkey in the late 60's because I had eyes to see where the industry was heading.   I had relatives embedded in the music industry and could have found connections. I rejected it with deep sadness. It let to depression for years.  But, I knew I wanted to keep my sanity.   I knew it had to be done, or most likely I would not be alive today to post here.

What good is high end audio if their are not people being high on life?  Too many audiophiles have become neurotic obsessive, in their desire to find a hiding place to feel happy and enthusiastic once more.   As long as the majority of conformists conform to the lifestyles the media keeps fostering upon us, we will not be a happy people again...

Clean up the Swamp first..  And then high end audio will follow with a celebratory victory march.

Genez

« Reply #137 on: 21 Jan 2018, 08:04 pm »
:D Answer is simply:  why do we see more homeless people. Why is it that a 500 dollar blip in a home budget would send 50% scrambling ,,,,  Jim Morrison ,, This Is The End ,,,,, ha.   Listen and learn.   :D

Jim lived to a ripe old age of what?   He was no one to listen to for advice.   Great music... depraved lyrics.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #138 on: 21 Jan 2018, 08:09 pm »
Ordinary people have no culture to sit to listen music or audio equip detailed knowledge, they are totally dominated by TV shows and news, last year a neighbor on my building retired, he had an old CRT TV, the next month he bought a 32 "LED TV, I thought he would buy an air conditioner since his apto gets sun from noon until the night in the summer, its awful hot in summer in his apto. Future of audio is difficult.

simoon

« Reply #139 on: 23 Jan 2018, 05:58 pm »
But they don't carry NuPrime (this is NuPrime circle so I have to point out).
Summit Audio (John Casler contact is listed on our website).
We selling high-end products at mid-fi price, so a lot of dealers don't want to carry them.

But this topic was more about audiophiles in general. Not specifically about NuPrime.

The poster I was responding to, also seemed to be commenting on the lack of brick and mortar stores, in the So Cal area, in general, not specifically where to listen to NuPrime.