Tube pre amps with Odyssey amps ?

Delta77

Re: Tube pre amps with Odyssey amps ?
« Reply #20 on: 20 Feb 2018, 09:10 pm »
I have a Decware CSP3 , preamp/headphone amp,, coming this week. I will pull out the CANDELLA to make a comparison..
I'm expecting a lot from this preamp ..( hand made with no circuit board , point to point wiring,, Added Beeswax capacitors. ).

beancounter1

« Reply #21 on: 21 Feb 2018, 04:29 am »
Magicbus. As in any other component in your system, unfortunately, there are cost factors. In my experience, as a general rule, the lower the cost of the tube pre amp the lower the resolution, the lower separation of each instrument as played in the space recorded, accentuated inaccurate bass response, and more limited sound stage depth. Clime the ladder though and you will be amazed at the transparency the Odysseys amps are capable of. If you have planar speakers though I would heartily recommend the solid state Tempest. It has the same quality of the power amps that should be illegal at its  price point.

A_shah

« Reply #22 on: 21 Feb 2018, 05:35 am »
I have a Decware CSP3 , preamp/headphone amp,, coming this week. I will pull out the CANDELLA to make a comparison..
I'm expecting a lot from this preamp ..( hand made with no circuit board , point to point wiring,, Added Beeswax capacitors. ).

Congratulations !
This should be a fabulous pre-amp ! I believe it is also a headphone amp ?
Asghar

passion4audio

I tried two preamps - Don Sachs SP14 and Concert Fidelity 080A
« Reply #23 on: 28 Feb 2018, 06:55 pm »
Both are amazing with the Statos Mono Extremes (full Kismet boards, Symphonic Line Reference 16K caps, Quattro Reference Cable Upgrade).

In this particular system, the Concert Fidelity provides a bit more detail and speed, which is a nice combo.  The Don Sachs, however, adds a bit of "body" and some warmth which is great - especially for female vocals and such.

tomgresh

« Reply #24 on: 8 Mar 2018, 05:50 pm »
Agree with Rollo. Synergy is the name of the game...

Thunder240

« Reply #25 on: 10 Apr 2018, 06:38 am »
Has anyone tried their Odyssey amps with a Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL 2.0 as a preamp? If so, what did you think? I’m looking closely at it as a combo preamp / headphone amp, but haven’t had the chance to audition it in my home system (Odyssey Stratos Stereo Plus with Philharmonic BMTs).

Of course I’d love a Candela, but considering I’d have to buy a separate headphone amp to achieve the same functionality, it’s quite a bit more expensive.