Off Ramp 5?

audioengr

Re: Off Ramp 5?
« Reply #60 on: 27 Jan 2012, 05:43 am »
RE:  OR5 - Reply #41 on: 18 Jan 2012, 06:58 PM

“Just like FLAC.  Data compares shows that its bit-perfect, but when you play back real-time, it mucks up the sound quality.” (Steve N.) 

I have been downloading everything in FLAC.  What do you recommend instead of FLAC?

Downloading in FLAC is fine.  It's the real-time playback that is problematic.  Just use dbpoweramp on PC or XLD on Mac to convert it after downloading to .wav for PC or AIFF for Mac.

Steve N.

fado

« Reply #61 on: 27 Jan 2012, 09:50 pm »
Thank You

DaveBSC

« Reply #62 on: 2 Feb 2012, 01:53 am »
Also from CES, some new Overdrive competition from Calyx. The "Femto DAC". I assume the USB implementation is the same XMOS/Thesycon setup as their standard USB DAC. They claim 500 femtosecond jitter and 132dB dynamic range. Three filter options and (presumably) digital domain volume control. $6K.

audioengr

« Reply #63 on: 2 Feb 2012, 05:39 am »
Also from CES, some new Overdrive competition from Calyx. The "Femto DAC". I assume the USB implementation is the same XMOS/Thesycon setup as their standard USB DAC. They claim 500 femtosecond jitter and 132dB dynamic range. Three filter options and (presumably) digital domain volume control. $6K.

It didn't get best sound of show.  It seems to have all of the marketing checkboxes and BS.  Makes me suspicious.  Digital domain volume is not good either.

Steve N.

DaveBSC

« Reply #64 on: 3 Feb 2012, 05:46 pm »
True, but as far as I know the only prototype was connected to Maggie 1.7s, which as good as they may be, are still $2K speakers, and they were driven by some unspecified Calyx amps. Judging by their looks, I assume it's some sort of Class D - not a combo I would expect to win best of show. The source also left much to be desired - a basic Dell laptop running JRiver, and TAS still described it as "the best I've ever heard the 1.7 at a show. It's definitely a DAC I'll be taking a closer look at when it reaches production.

audioengr

« Reply #65 on: 5 Feb 2012, 01:04 am »
Have my newest version of OR5 in the system now.  It should work with PWD in all modes now, but it needs beta testing.  Next week.

Interesting comparison:  I2S from Off-Ramp into my Overdrive has always been better than S/PDIF from the Off-Ramp.  Not anymore.  With the OR5 S/PDIF Hynes reg, I cannot hear anything.  When I switch between the two, its as if I didnt switch anything.

Steve N.