For Sale: Audio Nirvana 12" Super ALNICO Full Ranger Drivers (pair)

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
I'm selling a pair of Audio Nirvana Super 12" ALNICO full ranger drivers. These are essentially new. They have less than 10 hours of run time and are in pristine condition in their original boxes. I'm selling them because the project we were working on went in a different direction.

These are $899/pair new.

Sell price is $600 firm including free shipping for US domestic.
Will ship international at actual shipping cost to be determined.

Frequency response from 37 hz to almost 20,000 hz. You can expect at least 99 db efficiency. It handles 30 watts continuous RMS (normal listening level will be about 1/10 watt). Impedance is 8 ohms. Voice coil is 1.5 inches (38 mm). Total magnet weight is 1.9 lbs., using 9 individual elements. Total weight is 10 lbs. The cone is made of paper. The surround is accordion style and made of treated cloth. The phase plug is copper anodized, machined solid aluminum. The frame is cast aluminum.

Cheers,
Morten
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2016, 04:57 pm by tortugaranger »

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
Hi synergy1,

Thanks for the note. I've moved it here under the for sale topic.

In addition to the 12" ALNICO Supers I also have a new pair of 10" ALNICO Classics. I tried out the classics for about a month in 2.6 cubic foot cabinet so they are in perfect as new condition with very few hours. I don't have the original boxes for the 10's but I'll make sure they packed well nonetheless.

In my view the 12's are smoother than the 10's but they really require a HUGE cabinet to realize their full potential. The 10's are OK in a 2.6 cubic foot cabinet but bigger is better with these beauties also in order to realize their bass response. I simply don't have the space nor the desire for the larger cabinets.

The 10's are $799 a pair new. I'll let those go for $500.

Morten

Hi there,

I'm actually enquiring about your 12" Audio Nirvana AlNico speaker drivers you listed for sale delivered for $600. I guess first off I'm really surprised no one scoffed these up as I'm sure you are. Makes me wonder too. I thought AN made some of the best single driver full range speakers. The only thing I've heard about the Super AlNico was that the 10" version tended to have the best  sound  across the sound spectrum from a reliable source.

I too have been toying with building a pair of single driver speakers with the AN 10" but the retail price admittedly has impeded progress. That said just how much of a difference would AN's 12" v. 10" be overall. The 12" goes lower for one. Because I'm don't know really a hill of beans about speaker building except it's one of the most challenging undertakings there is I think.

After building GR Research's Super V kit offering oh about 6 years ago maybe I found out how hard is really is first hand and I had all the parts and design done for me. I even bypassed constructing the cabinets by buying pre-made cabinets from Jon ParkHurst for what I thought was a very reasonable cost and I'm capable of building boxes.  I think he's set up for production and is fast and good at it to and is pretty easy going. His Baltic Birch oil rubbed and then lacquer clear coated finish (I believe its what I described) is extremely well done and I know very time consuming.  The cabinets are built very solidly and show it, they weigh over 200 lbs. each and sound incredible with the Super V design and electrical design build-out. GR Research hit the nail squarely in the Super V design so much so I'm sure anything better sounding is posing
quite a challenge I'd think anyway.  I have a couple pairs of fairly reputable high end speakers I'd bought used of course over time that are super in their way but I doubt are as good as the Super V's. Of course the combinations of gear driving speakers is also a big variable as you know.

With the big 4-ways I'd say the best solid state powerhouse amps work best but with the HE 97dB Super V I've found a nifty amp I'll share with you that has inspired me more then any other component I've come across along with the Super V is that of Urban Hi Fi's David Berning designed ZOTL10 tube amp. It's a 10 watt OTL with a very high level designed power supply. They also have a 40 watt version that uses EL-34.

The ZOTL40 I've been told is killer and comparative to Berning's best designs in ways that are quite costly. I think a pair of mono's are $70K whereas it's $5800 which is a lot of money too but not $70K. The ZOTL10 for 10 watts is incredibly powerful I think and will play to a nearly earbreaking level with Super V is so desired and not clip. I listen between 62dB and 90dB at the highest probably. I also got their preamp called MicroZOTL that can also be used as an AMP but the 1 watt per side power has been a challenge for me to even locate a reasonably priced driver try pairing with it. I'd like to find something. I hooked it up to the super V and was totally amazed by it's sound, it lacked dynamics seriously however but my two kids that heard it thought it was the best sounding music they'd ever heard. They have better ears too. I think they are
right.

Anyway, no worries to respond to much of any of what I wrote I just thought I'd share a few thoughts around speakers and amps etc. I am planning on buying a different amp to use for awhile and will be putting my ZOTL10 up for sale for $2K if anyone is interested beforehand. It sells for $2600 new. It's about 4 months old. I got a handle on another amp I'm going to try is all. Maybe there's a trade possibility here regarding the drivers and cash? Just thought of that.

I would like to try my hand at building another pair of speaker and am interested in your the drivers you listed, if you still have them even. Let me know please. Thanks