MINT Maraschino Kickstarter

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Re: MINT Maraschino Kickstarter
« Reply #20 on: 21 Mar 2015, 11:38 am »
We found out that in the case we don't get funded (perish the thought), those who pledged for amps will need to contact us separately (Support@DigitalAmp.com) about making a purchase. We will honor the prices, but only for those who pledged.  We need support.  Thanks.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Should we ????
« Reply #21 on: 21 Mar 2015, 11:43 am »
The debate is on.....  Should we add "big Cherry" amp rewards?

Some have said it goes in the opposite direction of the "new stuff", but the big Cherry, Cherry MONO, ULTRA, and even Cherry MONO ULTRA are still available, and they are great amps.

So, should we?

We have some demos in stock that could use a good home. Maybe this is a way to offer great deals while boosting our numbers for the MINT....

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #22 on: 21 Mar 2015, 12:34 pm »
We found out that in the case we don't get funded (perish the thought), those who pledged for amps will need to contact us separately (Support@DigitalAmp.com) about making a purchase. We will honor the prices, but only for those who pledged.  We need support.  Thanks.
To clarify....  We get backer contact information after successfully funding the project.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Updates today
« Reply #23 on: 25 Mar 2015, 03:28 am »
We added some diagrams to our storyboard showing various use cases for the MINT Maraschino.  Check it out!

Thanks as always to our awesome BACKERS!

Please give us a hand in spreading the word by sharing our project on social media sites.  We are already in week 2 and need to step it up.

-Tommy O

Link:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/378044010/mint-maraschino-amp-for-use-with-high-res-players

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
MINT Maraschino Photos
« Reply #24 on: 25 Mar 2015, 05:06 am »

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
New video starring ME
« Reply #25 on: 2 Apr 2015, 08:58 pm »
New video starring ME:
http://kck.st/1EKKHSt

Plus we recently added lots of info to our storyboard.

JUST OVER ONE WEEK LEFT !

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #26 on: 3 Apr 2015, 03:04 am »
Hey, Tommy!  Glad to see the kickstarter thing is working for you!

Two questions I thought of regarding the Maraschino:

On the MINT, any chance of a remote for the volume control?

On all of the king versions, maybe I missed it, but is the big power supply a switching supply or linear?  Assuming it is a switching supply, any thoughts on (or tested by protoype?) a Maraschino fed by a big linear supply similar to the ones in the big Cherry amps?

I really do dig the case design for the MINT, and in particular the layout for the controls on its power supply - connectors in the back, power switch in the front!  I have wondered for a while in the world of audiophile (unless it really just has to do with the internal wiring to a power supply), why manufacturers almost universally make you reach around to the back of an amplifier to turn it on or off. . .

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #27 on: 3 Apr 2015, 03:52 am »
Hey, Tommy!  Glad to see the kickstarter thing is working for you!

Two questions I thought of regarding the Maraschino:

On the MINT, any chance of a remote for the volume control?

On all of the king versions, maybe I missed it, but is the big power supply a switching supply or linear?  Assuming it is a switching supply, any thoughts on (or tested by protoype?) a Maraschino fed by a big linear supply similar to the ones in the big Cherry amps?

I really do dig the case design for the MINT, and in particular the layout for the controls on its power supply - connectors in the back, power switch in the front!  I have wondered for a while in the world of audiophile (unless it really just has to do with the internal wiring to a power supply), why manufacturers almost universally make you reach around to the back of an amplifier to turn it on or off. . .
Jon,

Two trains of thought regarding the Maraschino amplifier line "next step": 1. Offer a linear supply (the 1kW 60V supply used in KING versions is a switcher), 2. Make a version of the big Cherry with Maraschino output stages.

An external 60V linear power supply would be an easy upgrade and not such a difficult project.

The Monster Maraschino (TM) is another story.  That requires a totally new motherboard.  It's possible to make that an upgrade for existing big Cherry owners, at least for everything built within the last 3 years or so.  The fact is, listeners have been blown away by the sonics of the current Maraschino sets. One great thing about switchers is the lack of transformer mechanical hum.  There's also the obvious size/weight issue.

Plus, a few weeks ago I was pleased with the swapping of a pair of KING Maraschinos for a big stereo Cherry.  I thought the little Marasvhinos showed no stress at all playing just as loud into Mag 1.7s. The sound was simply amazing, too.  That's an unbiased opinion (of course).  Well, it wasn't only me thinking this.

No remote for the MINT because that would add lots of cost and slow down the product release. Maybe in the future. I'm a big fan of remote volume/MUTE.

Thanks for the compliments and kind words (:

-Tommy O

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #28 on: 4 Apr 2015, 03:20 am »
Two more thoughts before I hopefully stop digressing from the MINT amps:

Regarding the 60V linear supply (hypothetical) for the Maraschino, what do you think the sonic differences would be between this and the switching supply?  I'm presuming as the voltages are the same, and I'd guess the current output would be comparable, we would be talking solely in a change in flavor of the final result based on the operating characteristics of each type of power supply design?  Also, maybe on a related note, have you had a chance to connect a Maraschino to a battery yet to see what pure DC input can do?

Second, on the "Monster Maraschino".  Would the end result here be basically a higher power output version of the current Maraschino?  Not that the 200wpc the current model offers is anything to sneeze at, but in my (admittedly limited) experience with certain generally physically bigger speaker designs, playing large scale music, although lower power amps can often drive the systems well, there really is (to me at least) something to be said for the effortlessness a half a kilowatt with a ton of current drive can bring to the table. 

I guess I see some appeal to the idea of all the sonic benefits found in the newer Maraschino design coupled to the dynamics and control that you've said in the past is what separates the classic Cherry amps from the Maraschino (aside from the more tube-like presentation from the Cherries).  I'm thinking in particular as used with large planars, large electrostats, and line arrays off the top of my head.  Some of these I've encountered have sensitivity ratings easily comfortably within the capabilities of the current Maraschino, but really seem to come alive on a whole different level as the available power on tap goes up, regardless of what the raw specifications of the speakers would suggest.

Thanks for the few minutes indulging daydreaming.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #29 on: 4 Apr 2015, 04:18 pm »
Two more thoughts before I hopefully stop digressing from the MINT amps:

Regarding the 60V linear supply (hypothetical) for the Maraschino, what do you think the sonic differences would be between this and the switching supply?  I'm presuming as the voltages are the same, and I'd guess the current output would be comparable, we would be talking solely in a change in flavor of the final result based on the operating characteristics of each type of power supply design?  Also, maybe on a related note, have you had a chance to connect a Maraschino to a battery yet to see what pure DC input can do?

Second, on the "Monster Maraschino".  Would the end result here be basically a higher power output version of the current Maraschino?  Not that the 200wpc the current model offers is anything to sneeze at, but in my (admittedly limited) experience with certain generally physically bigger speaker designs, playing large scale music, although lower power amps can often drive the systems well, there really is (to me at least) something to be said for the effortlessness a half a kilowatt with a ton of current drive can bring to the table. 

I guess I see some appeal to the idea of all the sonic benefits found in the newer Maraschino design coupled to the dynamics and control that you've said in the past is what separates the classic Cherry amps from the Maraschino (aside from the more tube-like presentation from the Cherries).  I'm thinking in particular as used with large planars, large electrostats, and line arrays off the top of my head.  Some of these I've encountered have sensitivity ratings easily comfortably within the capabilities of the current Maraschino, but really seem to come alive on a whole different level as the available power on tap goes up, regardless of what the raw specifications of the speakers would suggest.

What do you think the sonic differences would be between this and the switching supply?
>>>> Possibly a more authoritative presentation, but the Maraschino design has very good PSRR, so as long as the power supply can keep up with demand, the sound should be pretty close.

Change in flavor of the final result based on the operating characteristics of each type of power supply design?
>>>> Depending on implementation and post-regulation, the linear version should be able to produce a cleaner output (less "ripple"), especially when the load is light (not playing loud).

Have you had a chance to connect a Maraschino to a battery yet to see what pure DC input can do?
>>>> Even batteries don't produce "pure DC" since they are load dependent.  We haven't run from batteries, but have run from post-regulated bench supplies with great results.  I suspect the same could happen with batteries.  We do run the Maraschino on the warm side, though, and this requires more idle power than other high efficiency designs.  By the way, running the low voltage supplies from a separate transformer winding (as done in the classic "big Cherry" amps) provides measurable improvements in some specs, like SNR.

"Monster Maraschino": Would the end result here be basically a higher power output version of the current Maraschino?
>>>> It would provide massive power, but also allow cost effective post regulation.

>>>> Thank YOU for your kind words and well written posts!

-Tommy O

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Bi-Amp MINT Maraschino ????
« Reply #30 on: 4 Apr 2015, 04:19 pm »

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #31 on: 5 Apr 2015, 12:07 am »
With just a week left, we're almost half way there!

For your convenience:

We're adding Desktop Maraschino rewards!!!!

-Tommy O

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #32 on: 5 Apr 2015, 06:35 pm »
>>>> Depending on implementation and post-regulation, the linear version should be able to produce a cleaner output (less "ripple"), especially when the load is light (not playing loud).

This right here is interesting, specifically in addressing the performance characteristic of the amp at low volume.  Not that reference volume isn't fun and all, and not that headroom for dynamics isn't important, but with many folks not moving further than the "first watt (or so)", if this is an inexpensive experiment to test, I think it might be well worth the result in particular if the price point of the finished power supply wasn't too far off the map of the overall pricing scheme.  Actually, with the MINT only requiring one power supply, it might be an even more worthwhile adventure from a bang-for-the-buck perspective?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #33 on: 5 Apr 2015, 07:14 pm »
This right here is interesting, specifically in addressing the performance characteristic of the amp at low volume.  Not that reference volume isn't fun and all, and not that headroom for dynamics isn't important, but with many folks not moving further than the "first watt (or so)", if this is an inexpensive experiment to test, I think it might be well worth the result in particular if the price point of the finished power supply wasn't too far off the map of the overall pricing scheme.  Actually, with the MINT only requiring one power supply, it might be an even more worthwhile adventure from a bang-for-the-buck perspective?
Hmmmm.. You have me thinking a lot about this now.....

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
NEW REWARDS LIST
« Reply #34 on: 6 Apr 2015, 06:01 pm »
$30 - T-Shirt only
$500 - DUAL 60V upgrade for Maraschino Owners (!) - add $300 for DC_SNAKE cables
$700 - MINT stereo 48V PROTOTYPE
$800 - MINT stereo 48V pre-production
$1200 - MINT stereo KING 60V pre-production
$1300/pr - In-Line monoblock BLK 48V - add $100 for locking banana speaker wires
$1500/pr - Desktop monoblock RED 48V on marble - add $450 for 60V upgrade
$1500/pr - Desktop monoblock BLK 48V on marble - add $450 for 60V upgrade
$2200/pr - In-Line monoblock BLK KING 60V - add $100 for locking banana speaker wires
$2800/pr - Desktop monoblock RED KING 60V on solid aluminum
$2800/pr - Desktop monoblock BLK KING 60V on solid aluminum

....and there's only one of these available: $999/pr - Desktop monoblock DEMO RED 48V on granite - add $450 for 60V upgrade

Link to project:
« Last Edit: 6 Apr 2015, 11:01 pm by AmpDesigner333 »

virtue

• Industry Participant
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #35 on: 6 Apr 2015, 10:32 pm »
Guys,

After owning Tommy's hanging Maraschino's for more than 2 months now and hearing them with a range of power hungry speakers including Magnepans, I'd like to support his Kickstarter in the following way.

If you are an Audio Circle member with 4 posts or more, and Tommy tells me you have bought a MINT amplifier ($700) or more, you get a free pair of our top-of-the-line Virtue Nirvana interconnects custom built by Jason, up to 2 meters.  Just send me a PM and tell me:

1) Length you desire
2) Why you are supporting the DAC/Kickstarter campaign (I reserve the right to anonymously publish these).

If you don't want the interconnects, we will credit you $50 for any other cable we make over $100.  You can handle this transaction with Jason directly.

If you're already supporting the campaign, send me a PM and let me know.

Seth

OzarkTom

« Reply #36 on: 6 Apr 2015, 11:02 pm »
Those Virtue cables are one of the best buys on the market. I have two of Jason's power cables now hooked up to the Marachinos on the 48v power supplies, and what a difference that made. I have the most lush and magigical sounding system that I ever have had.

Someone needs to jump all over those demos, that is a heck of a deal for someone. I will have to tell my buddy Rex about the Virtue cable deal, since he has already committed to one. He is also a proud owner of several Virtue cables, I think he needs a second power cord for his Marachinos. Rex is using his Marachinos with Vinnie's new LIO as a pre and is loving the combo tremendously.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #37 on: 7 Apr 2015, 09:49 pm »
If you own 48V Maraschinos, check out the DUAL 60V upgrade deal here:

Check out the "rewards" section.

A little more than 3 days left on the project, so get in before it's too late.  Orders from the Kickstarter will be shipped before orders outside the program.

By the way, there's a sweet deal on a pair of demo desktop Maraschinos in there.  Only one pair available!

Thanks to Seth for adding the cable deal (see above)!

-Tommy O

virtue

• Industry Participant
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #38 on: 8 Apr 2015, 06:05 am »
For our special give-away for MINT Kickstarter customers, I've had two requests for balanced (XLR) Nirvana interconnects instead of the standard RCA single ended.

Jason will build these with Neutrik connectors for a $40 up-charge.

Tommy is keeping a list of what y'all want.  CC: me (seth at virtueaudio) if you have other special requirements.

jseipp

« Reply #39 on: 8 Apr 2015, 06:07 am »
I'm going to second OzarkTom's opinion on the Virtue cables -- I'm looking at a pair of the Virtue speaker cables right now.  They don't only sound great, but they look great, too!  Seth has taken great care of me with my purchases -- he is definitely one of the good guys, right along with Tommy, and he's really stepping up to the plate to build community support with his offer  :thumb:.