Finding Pi IP address

schmidtmike76

Finding Pi IP address
« on: 9 Mar 2018, 10:23 pm »
Can anyone help how to find a IP address I can’t figure it out.  I had a new router installed.

Thanks Mike

schmidtmike76

Re: Finding Pi IP address
« Reply #1 on: 9 Mar 2018, 11:01 pm »
I’ll delete this thread later but you need the Ethernet cord plugged it....idiot lol

Calypte

« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2018, 07:21 am »
In my case, it defaulted to 192.168.1.19.  I've left it there.

jkelly

« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2018, 02:06 pm »
If you open a terminal, (Under accessories), type

ifconfig

Jeff

schmidtmike76

« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2018, 02:16 pm »
It’s a love hate relationship.  When it works I love it but when I have to get techy with it I go downhill.

audioengr

« Reply #5 on: 10 Mar 2018, 05:17 pm »
Log into your router from a computer on the network - follow the instructions included with the router.  Look at the label on the bottom too.

Scroll down the menu to IP and MAC binding

Select ARP list

You will see a list of IP addresses for the devices.  Unplug your device and do a refresh and then plug it back in and do another refresh.  This is how you identify which one it is.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #6 on: 10 Mar 2018, 06:30 pm »
If you're trying to identify what device an IP address is assigned to, Steve N. has the most accurate method.

I usually google the MAC address and see if that will give me a clue. For example, I found that one device I couldn't identify had a MAC address that is in a range associated with Sonos. That made me realize I'd forgotten my Sonos was on the network.

Some routers will allow you to add or edit device names. I believe most/all Asus routers do it, and at least some Linksys routers do.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2018, 06:32 pm »
Hi

If you have a Apple device you can use a program called FING on the Apple store to find IP adresses - its free.

Also if you type in MYBRYSTON.COM in your browser it will show the IP address of Bryston BDP and allow you to connect.

james

schmidtmike76

« Reply #8 on: 10 Mar 2018, 08:17 pm »
Log into your router from a computer on the network - follow the instructions included with the router.  Look at the label on the bottom too.

Scroll down the menu to IP and MAC binding

Select ARP list

You will see a list of IP addresses for the devices.  Unplug your device and do a refresh and then plug it back in and do another refresh.  This is how you identify which one it is.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
this made zero sense to me

schmidtmike76

« Reply #9 on: 10 Mar 2018, 08:47 pm »
Hi

If you have a Apple device you can use a program called FING on the Apple store to find IP adresses - its free.

Also if you type in MYBRYSTON.COM in your browser it will show the IP address of Bryston BDP and allow you to connect.

james
thanks James this is going to save me lots of headaches this works and is simple