GIK and Odyssey - Best of RMAF 2012
« on: 15 Oct 2012, 10:17 pm »
You guys pretty much topped our list of best at RMAF this year, check it out:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=110643.0

kenreau

Re: GIK and Odyssey - Best of RMAF 2012
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2012, 11:44 pm »
Congratulations, GIK  :thumb:

I didn't see much in the way of photos of your GIK products in that room.  Which products were utilized?

Thx
Kenreau

kernelbob

« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2012, 12:25 am »
I managed to stop in to the GIK/Odyssey room Sunday afternoon.  The sound was amazingly smooth.  The room treatments completely overcame the fact that it was small room, making it sound much larger.  Fortunately my camera still had pics of my listening room and Bryan was able to suggest a starting set of treatment devices.  An order will soon be on its way.

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2012, 12:30 am »
Congrats Bryan and Glenn! Your rooms always sound great acoustically and you always choose good mfgs to exhibit with.

What I liked most about Pez' picture of your room was how well the treatments were hidden! You guys have made great innovations in the aesthetics of room treatments, which means more of us are "allowed" to have them. 

The new speakers are very attractive too. Congrats Klaus.
Rich

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2012, 12:42 am »
Sounds like Klaus was caring afterhour Scotch this year. J/K  :jester: Seeing how I own 2 pair of Odyssey Lorelei's tho, it's understandable as I've always considered my Lorelei's as being both musical & engaging. The monitors must be more of that same vein, plus the system synergy which has always been Klaus's fortay.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2012, 12:42 am »
Yes, Bryan & Klaus did a fantastic job on their $5900 system (without GIK treatments).  It is without a doubt the best sounding under $10k system at the show. 

TomS

« Reply #6 on: 16 Oct 2012, 12:43 am »
Yes, Bryan & Klaus did a fantastic job on their $5900 system (without GIK treatments).  It is without a doubt the best sounding under $10k system at the show.
+10 on that. Great job guys!

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 16 Oct 2012, 02:49 pm »
I managed to stop in to the GIK/Odyssey room Sunday afternoon.  The sound was amazingly smooth.  The room treatments completely overcame the fact that it was small room, making it sound much larger.  Fortunately my camera still had pics of my listening room and Bryan was able to suggest a starting set of treatment devices.  An order will soon be on its way.

We had 6 T40 Scopus traps, 2 Soffit Traps, 2 Q7Ds and 2 of the FRL panel Traps. The FRL is a new product that is not on the website yet but basically a panel that is semi tuned with broad band. They work from around 40hz to around 300 hz which is great for a person that wants BIG TIME bass trapping and keep the upper frequencies in the room. Here is some info on them.

Also I just wanted to say how great the show was for us.  I was trying to keep track of how many people I talked with that have our products and honestly gave up around 50!!! Thanks to everyone that came by.

Glenn Kuras
GIK Acoustics

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #8 on: 16 Oct 2012, 02:53 pm »
I'd like to just add my thanks to all that stopped by and for all the kind words.  We worked hard to get things dialed in.  Klaus and Alex have great ears and know their equipment well.  It's a pleasure working with them.

Bryan

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #9 on: 16 Oct 2012, 04:15 pm »
Congratulations to Bryan, Glenn, and Klaus.  :D

Hate to say it, but with the players involved, I'm not very surprised you guys are getting these accolades.
I would expect nothing less.   :wink:

Well done men.

Bob

AlexG

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 16 Oct 2012, 07:38 pm »
Just a note to thank both Bryan and Glenn (and the rest) for teaming up with us at the show this year. Without your product we would never produced the level of quality sound we had at the show...it was so emotionally musical!!  :thumb:

Below are a couple pictures showing some of your treatments used in the room at the show.

All the best.

Alex

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 16 Oct 2012, 08:11 pm »
Would you guys mind sharing with us why a diffuser was used at the first reflection point?  Congratulations on a wonderful show!!

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 16 Oct 2012, 09:09 pm »
Reflections can either be absorbed or diffused.  If the off axis power response of the speaker is good and you can set up to not have huge phase related frequency issues from the side wall reflections, then the diffusion can expand the soundstage and address the reflection without removing energy from the room by simply redistributing it in space and time.  The Odyssey Kismets showed excellent off axis characteristics so diffusion was possible (and desirable!) 

Bryan

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 16 Oct 2012, 09:10 pm »
Our pleasure Alex.  We enjoyed the show. It's nice to share a room with good equipment and people who know how to set it up.  My job becomes MUCH easier....

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 16 Oct 2012, 09:19 pm »
Reflections can either be absorbed or diffused.  If the off axis power response of the speaker is good and you can set up to not have huge phase related frequency issues from the side wall reflections, then the diffusion can expand the soundstage and address the reflection without removing energy from the room by simply redistributing it in space and time.  The Odyssey Kismets showed excellent off axis characteristics so diffusion was possible (and desirable!) 

Bryan

Thanks for clarifying Bryan.  This is something I need to try.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #15 on: 16 Oct 2012, 10:41 pm »
We had 6 T40 Scopus traps, 2 Soffit Traps, 2 Q7Ds and 2 of the FRL panel Traps.

The Odyssey Kismets showed excellent off axis characteristics so diffusion was possible (and desirable!) 

This just whets my appetite.  Can someone from the RMAF GIK/Odyssey team put together a diagram of what went where and why it was used there?

Thanks.

Russ

Pez

« Reply #16 on: 17 Oct 2012, 12:08 am »
Would you guys mind sharing with us why a diffuser was used at the first reflection point?  Congratulations on a wonderful show!!

This configuration was surprising to me as well. I had not ever seen diffusers used at the first reflection point like in this setup. Alex and Klaus were kind enough to do a little mini demo showing the effects of the diffusers in this particular location. They removed the diffusers and played music through the system. With this configuration the soundstage collapsed the imaging was not nearly as PenPoint and you could really hear that reflection point. The energy however was very nice with this particular set up. When the diffusers were added back in the system suddenly everything snapped into clear focus detail went through the roof and all the energy was still there! Very effective demonstration and I really fell in love with the diffusers at that point. Someday I will own them!

morganc

« Reply #17 on: 17 Oct 2012, 01:46 am »
Does anyone have an idea what these speakers are called?   Are they on the website?   Price?  Specs?

Rclark

jimdgoulding

« Reply #19 on: 17 Oct 2012, 02:40 am »
This configuration was surprising to me as well. I had not ever seen diffusers used at the first reflection point like in this setup. Alex and Klaus were kind enough to do a little mini demo showing the effects of the diffusers in this particular location. They removed the diffusers and played music through the system. With this configuration the soundstage collapsed the imaging was not nearly as PenPoint and you could really hear that reflection point. The energy however was very nice with this particular set up. When the diffusers were added back in the system suddenly everything snapped into clear focus detail went through the roof and all the energy was still there! Very effective demonstration and I really fell in love with the diffusers at that point. Someday I will own them!
That's just what I'm thinking, trying diffusers at my first reflection points instead of absorbers.