1x4 ft wall traps

Shear Bliss

1x4 ft wall traps
« on: 1 Jun 2011, 05:44 am »
Glen,
        I broached this question about a yr. or so ago ... why no slimmer wall treatment panels ??? Most all us GIK customers are using the 224"s in our corners, or middle wall, as I am. My 20 x 13 room employs 7 - 224 traps ..... but I beleive theres a need for a half 224, a 12" x 48" trap. I know I could put some to good use.

Not talking about a 1 off custom panel, but a viable product for us Audiophiles ..... poll your customers.

Thanks Glenn, keep the flame burning
DW - Michigan

Shear Bliss

Re: 1x4 ft wall traps
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2011, 02:38 am »
Nobody ... Somebody ... Anyone ???  ...  Well then, I must be nuts! OK glen, still feel the use/need for the half size.

Thanks, DW.

PLMONROE

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2011, 12:05 am »
You are not nuts. Lots of us would like and could these. Guess we just aren't very vocal.

Paul

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2011, 05:47 pm »
Sorry - been out of the country with limited internet access.

The 1x4's are certainly a doable thing. The problem is making them cost effective.  The only difference from a cost perspective is the core material cost itself.  There's more wood waste and more covering waste and 1/2 the core material.  Same amount of labor, etc. 

Believe me, I've been bugging Glenn for 1x4's and 2x2's for a LONG time - just haven't figured how to do it  for much of anything less than a standard sized panel.  That said, we can make them for you any time you want.

Bryan
« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2011, 03:37 pm by bpape »

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2011, 04:43 pm »
Sorry - been out of the country with limited internet access.

The 1x4's are certainly a doable thing. The problem is making them cost effective.  The only difference from a cost perspective is the core material cost itself.  There's more wood waste and more covering waste and 1/2 the core material.  Same amount of labor, etc. 

Believe me, I've been bugging Glenn for 1x4's and 2x2's for a LONG time - just haven't figured how to do it  for much of anything less than a standard sized panel.  That said, we can make them for you any time you want.

Bryan

I will second that... Yes Bryan has been BUGGING ME TO DEATH!!  :lol: :D

I will keep all of this in mind and try to come up with something. Been working on something new so as soon as that hits the market that will be my next thing.

rw@cn

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jul 2011, 07:03 pm »

Been working on something new so as soon as that hits the market that will be my next thing.

When?  :D

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 14 Jul 2011, 03:18 pm »
Hopefully the new product will be on the site today or tomorrow....

We are seriously looking at how to do 2x2 and 1x4 panels.  I'm going to sketch out a few ideas and see what we can make work at a reasonable price.

Bryan

rw@cn

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jul 2011, 03:59 pm »
Brian,

Would you explain the differences of your diffusers (not the ceiling tile). I am thinking about putting a pair on the front wall behind my Maggies (1.7 for now but I'm thinking about migrating to the 20.x's).

Thanks

Bob

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 14 Jul 2011, 04:11 pm »
All of the diffusers except the Grid Fusers are single period diffusers.  The Grid Fusors are 2 mirror imaged 13 root diffusers in each panel.  The other diffusers, if hung in pairs, need to be hung with 1 inverted from the other to avoid repeating patterns which can cause comb filtering.

The other 3 are all 7 root diffusers.

The D1 is hollow and can be filled with insulation for a tad of midbass control in addition to the diffusion. They will reach a bit higher due to the poly's on the tops of the wells. 

The QRD and Q7D have the same size wells.  The QRD is an EPS core with a wood frame - no dividers between wells.  The Q7D is all wood and has dividers between the wells for a bit smoother diffusion pattern.

The optimal for behind 20.1's would be 2 Q7D's behind each panel as a mirror imaged pair with a gap between them the size of one of the wells.

Bryan