Updated Crossover for my Ellis 1801

DavidS

Updated Crossover for my Ellis 1801
« on: 15 Feb 2013, 02:10 am »
Yes a blast from the past.  My built from kit 1801's are about 10 years old; they are still great speakers.

Thinking about updating my crossovers:

1.  towards the end of the Ellis Audio Circle, Dave was promoting the use of .1 uf sonicap platinum capacitor in bypass mode for the 6 capacitors used in the speaker's crossover.  Sadly .1 uf sonicaps no longer exist; happily there is an amazing smorg of other cap choices.  Any thoughts on what I should use?

2.  thinking about re-wiring the crossover to the drivers and connectors.  Have read rave reviews (Jonbee) about VH Audio's copper OCC Airlock wire.  Dave recommended 14ga for the woofer and 18ga for the tweeter.  The copper wire comes in 18ga but that is the thickest it comes so not sure what to do.  I have no idea why one gauge for woofer and one for tweeter.

3.  sounds like not much benefit to come from changing the inductors.  Will have to check out my stuffing when I get inside - has been many years since I opened the speakers up; will be interesting to see what I find.  And the bi-wire connectors are so loose its surprising I can make a connection - so looking forward to tightening this whole end of the speaker up (at least until the reality of getting my big baseball mitts for hands into the bottom of the speaker).

Advice, comments are appreciated.