Pure Audio Blu-ray discs?

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
Pure Audio Blu-ray discs?
« on: 28 Aug 2016, 04:51 pm »
I'm coming late to the party on this so please excuse my ignorance but does anyone have experience with the Pure Audio Blu-ray discs, which are supposedly a step-up from SACD and DVD-A discs? Are they "so worth it to audiophiles"?

The below describes a free subscriber's disc for the Millenium of Music program:

"This latest Ayreheart project delves deeply into the reunion of folk and “art” music that somehow artificially divided in the last centuries.

This two CD set also reflects the new world of enhanced audio: in addition to a regular CD, there is also a Pure Audio Blu-ray disc that gives surround sound (and as far as I can tell, projects holograms of the actual ensemble, who will then vacuum your room and pick up things you left lying around). In any event, it is a little more expensive (but so worth it to you audiophiles)."

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

LSI

Phil A

Re: Pure Audio Blu-ray discs?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2016, 04:56 pm »
As far as format goes, it is really dependent on the quality of what was recorded and how it was recorded as well as mixed and mastered.  I wouldn't get hung up on marketing hype.  This is a good resource too - http://dr.loudness-war.info/

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2016, 05:38 pm »
As far as format goes, it is really dependent on the quality of what was recorded and how it was recorded as well as mixed and mastered.  I wouldn't get hung up on marketing hype.  This is a good resource too - http://dr.loudness-war.info/

Thanks Phil, that's very helpful ... and very interesting. I didn't see one cd that was rated in the 'good' category across the board.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2016, 05:46 pm »
You can enter a title and/or artist and get an idea of certain things.  For example, here's one title that includes an audio only Blu-Ray in the analysis - http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=marvin+gaye&album=what%27s+going+on

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2016, 05:52 pm »
It also is dependent on what hardware (player) one is using.  Some players may play back certain disc formats better than others.  In my case, since I use file playback, I'm going to lean towards either a disc I can rip or a download.

JapanJim

« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2016, 10:56 am »
It also is dependent on what hardware (player) one is using.  Some players may play back certain disc formats better than others.  In my case, since I use file playback, I'm going to lean towards either a disc I can rip or a download.

Hi Phil,

Can you explain a few things for me?  I'm kind of new in some areas of digitalized music.  I currently use my HTPC for all my music  collection, as well as movie media.  I either play from the HTPC to my avr via HDMI or use the avr to play directly from the HTPC.  I don't see the need to use a DAC....am I missing something?  I prefer to have all my media in digital format which I think is easier to manage.

Thanks,

JIm

srb

« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2016, 11:35 am »
I don't see the need to use a DAC....am I missing something?

It depends on quality of the DAC circuitry built into in the AVR and the connection type from the HTPC to the AVR.

When I had an HDMI AVR, I got better sound for music using the coaxial S/PDIF output of the HTPC (and even the TOSLINK optical output as well) versus the HDMI connection.  When I added an external DAC, that increased sound quality a small bit again because that particular DAC was a little better than the AVR's internal DAC.

Adding an external DAC may or may not give you an appreciable increase in sound quality.  The whole audio chain influences the sound - the digital source, the preamplifier, the power amplifier, the speakers, and of course the DAC.

If those components (and sections of the AVR in your case) are only mediocre, adding a $500, $2000 or $5000 DAC won't likely give you as significant of an increase in sound quality that someone with a higher quality, higher resolution system might achieve.

Steve