OPPO 103D and your expertise

jimdgoulding

OPPO 103D and your expertise
« on: 15 Apr 2016, 11:10 pm »
As a CD player, what is your experience?  If none, like me, what is your opinion of why this unit gets the good buzz it does?  One reviewer attributes it's (superior) sound to the Sabre chipset it employs.  Says it's more analog like.  I use a Koetsu Black MC phono cartridge which has a reach-out-and-touch-it image physicality that I like.  What I don't want is anything resembling dry or edgy, heck no. 

Really do appreciate your insight and opinions in advance.  I'm ready to replace my modest Sony transport and old Bel Canto DAC as we speak.  Can't tolerate its upper midrange graininess any longer.  Thanks.

Phil A

Re: OPPO 103D and your expertise
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2016, 11:39 pm »
As a CD player, what is your experience?  If none, like me, what is your opinion of why this unit gets the good buzz it does?  One reviewer attributes it's (superior) sound to the Sabre chipset it employs.  Says it's more analog like.  I use a Koetsu Black MC phono cartridge which has a reach-out-and-touch-it image physicality that I like.  What I don't want is anything resembling dry or edgy, heck no. 

Really do appreciate your insight and opinions in advance.  I'm ready to replace my modest Sony transport and old Bel Canto DAC as we speak.  Can't tolerate its upper midrange graininess any longer.  Thanks.

The 103D does not use the Sabre chipset - http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-103-faq.html#what-audio-dac-does-the-bdp-103-use 

I have two 103Ds.  The one in the main system only sees video use.  One in a secondary system has a hard drive attached with music files (including 2-channel and multi-channel DSD) in addition to being used for video.  It is OK as a CD player - nothing I'd use in a main system.

jonbee

« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2016, 12:09 am »
I own one and am very pleased with it, but have never heard the dac in it. I have an all digital system, so I can't use the analog outs. I use it for video front end and processing only, playing Blu-ray, dvd, and networked videos, plus Netflix, etc. Video quality is first rate. I feed the audio to a dac, in this case a NAD M51. I've owned a number of oppos, and very much appreciate the feature set of this one and the reliability. It is not just the usual throw away piece of consumer dreck, and the networking features are as good as I've found.
Support from oppo is in a class of its' own. I had a modded 83 which stopped reading discs due to the mods, and they replaced the entire transport for $79 no questions asked out of warranty. That's another reason why it is worth the $ to me.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2016, 12:21 am »
I agree their service is first rate.  Besides the two 103Ds, I have a 93, a modded 83 and an old DV980H.  I'll be getting their 4k player whenever it comes out.  The drawer in the modded 83 will stick from time to time (for now it is in a guest room and eventually I'll be stick a flash drive in it and hooking it up in a secondary system with an old Carver Sonic Holography unit for fun).  I do use the analog outs in the one secondary system on rare occasions when I use it for music.  It has the same DACs (I believe) as the 93, which I currently have in my bedroom system and had it in a couple of systems in the old house.  Great product for the money.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2016, 12:51 am »
Phil, I'm confused, brother.  I've spoken to OPPO and their local retailer (Houston) and believe that they told me that the 103D uses a or the SABRE.  Read a highly positive review wherein the reviewer cites the SABRE chip as making the OPPO under review SOUND superior to whatever he was comparing it to.  Said it was more analog like.  I'm using an old Sony at present and there is some stridency in the upper mid/lower treble region that I do not have in my analog rig.  Are you sure about what you said?   Plus, my budget is slim.  Thank you.

srb

« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2016, 01:02 am »
Phil, I'm confused, brother.  I've spoken to OPPO and their local retailer (Houston) and believe that they told me that the 103D uses a or the SABRE

While Oppo doesn't mention the audio DAC chip used in either the 103 or 103D on their website, every review and discussion I've read about them say they both use the Cirrus Logic CS4382A.

Steve

John Casler

« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2016, 01:07 am »
That is correct.  I am an OPPO Dealer and the higher price of the BDP-105d is mostly due to the ESS SABRE Chipset.

The BDP-103d does not have the same DAC chipset.

That said, the 103d is still quite good for audio, it is just not quite to the level of the 105d.

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 16 Apr 2016, 01:10 am »
That is correct.  I am an OPPO Dealer and the higher price of the BDP-105d is mostly due to the ESS SABRE Chipset.

The BDP-103d does not have the same DAC chipset

That's correct - here is another review that indicates the Cirrus chip by a reviewer with a close relationship with Oppo - http://everythingaudionetwork.blogspot.com/2013/01/audiophile-review-oppo-bdp-105.html

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #8 on: 16 Apr 2016, 02:23 am »
If you regularly listen to a koetsu and like that sound, afraid your gonna have to go much more high end than any Oppo in a CD player. I'm thinking a used Rega Saturn or maybe an old Esoteric if you want used. A Bel Canto CD player would good to.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #9 on: 16 Apr 2016, 03:24 am »
Thanks, fellas, but I'm really confused now.  The OPPO 95 has a Sabre ES9018 chip set???  What, prey tell, does the 105 have?  Seriously, if you know.  I have a Bel Canto DAC.  First edition and it sounds a bit too course in the upper mid/lower treble for me.  A consultant at OPPO told me that only the 103/105 series have the Sabre chip set and I'm not sure about the 103.  WTF? 

I'll call them back, speak to a supervisor for something definitive, but your info is greatly appreciated.

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 16 Apr 2016, 03:37 am »
The 105 has the sabre chip

Phil A

« Reply #11 on: 16 Apr 2016, 03:39 am »
Here's the link on Oppo's site for the 105D - https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-105/blu-ray-BDP-105D-Features.aspx

"BDP-105D turns any computer into a high performing multi-media source by converting digital audio to analog through the ESS Sabre32 Reference DAC"

jimdgoulding

« Reply #12 on: 16 Apr 2016, 03:47 am »
Thanks, Phil.  That Sabre32 used in any other OPPO models to your knowledge?  I'm only gonna use this for CD playback.  I will call them again and ask to speak to the dept manager this time for specific clarification.  The reason I'm curious about the Sabre is cause a reviewer wrote that the Sabre is a difference maker musically vs. other players.

Phil A

« Reply #13 on: 16 Apr 2016, 03:55 am »
Thanks, Phil.  That Sabre32 used in any other OPPO models to your knowledge?  I'm only gonna use this for CD playback.  I will call them again and ask to speak to the dept manager this time for specific clarification.  The reason I'm curious about the Sabre is cause a reviewer wrote that the Sabre is a difference maker musically vs. other players.

There's a lot more than just the chip used that results in sound quality.  Many DACs use the same chip but don't sound the same.  If you are only going to use CD quality, then this might be a good choice - http://schiit.com/products/gungnir  unless you are just looking for a one box CD player solution vs. a DAC?

srb

« Reply #14 on: 16 Apr 2016, 06:27 am »
Phil is right that there is more to a DAC than just the DAC chip.  The overall circuit design, PCB layout, power supply and analog output stage all matter and contribute to the sound.

However, just to sum up the Oppo players, the DAC chips used (to my knowledge) are

MODEL                   2 CH STEREO OUTPUT            7.1 CH MULTICHANNEL OUTPUT
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BDP-83/93/103/103D      Cirrus Logic CS4398           Cirrus Logic CS4382A

BDP-83SE                ESS Sabre32 Ultra ES9016       ESS Sabre Premier ES9006

BDP-95/105/105D         ESS Sabre32 Reference ES9018   
ESS Sabre32 Reference ES9018

Using a second ESS Sabre 8-channel chip dedicated to the stereo output allows paralleling 4 DAC channels for each L/R stereo channel.

That being said you can buy standalone DACs with ES9018 chips from China for not a whole lot of money.  The SMSL M8 sells for ~ $250 and the Audio-gd NFB-11 for ~ $325.

If you find out from Oppo that my information is incorrect I'll correct the chart.

Steve

jimdgoulding

« Reply #15 on: 16 Apr 2016, 02:14 pm »
Think I'll give the 95 a shot.  It's not much of a gamble and I need better sound.  You guys rock! 

A very, very good disc for the music and the sound that I've been playing lately is Ernest Bloch's "Evocations, Two Last Poems . . Maybe, and Trois Poemes Juifs" on the KOCH label as performed by the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra.  Hope you can enjoy it as much as I do.

jonbee

« Reply #16 on: 16 Apr 2016, 02:50 pm »
Think I'll give the 95 a shot.  It's not much of a gamble and I need better sound.  You guys rock! 
Not a bad way to go. I use a 93 in my second system (with a dac), and it is also very good. It also has good networking capabilities. It is not quite as smoothly operating in that regard as the 103, but will offer you that capability for future extension, which is a crucial element for me.

jonbee

« Reply #17 on: 16 Apr 2016, 02:57 pm »
Sorry- double post

John Casler

« Reply #18 on: 16 Apr 2016, 03:53 pm »

Some don't know that the OPPO players can also play music from a Hard Drive via a USB connection.

If you are intending this use, it is my understanding that the 105 is more functionally sufficient.

That may be a consideration.