How to use the Squeezebox Touch to play DSD files on a DoP compatible DAC

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Yeah, so if using a preamp then no way would I go through an extra analog step, just send both DACs to two separate inputs.  But having two USB connections is a PITA, so good luck.

Sorry for the hijack, but wanted to straighten out a misconception, brought on by mfger's marketing.

JonD

Thanks Brett & Holzohr: The Schiit Loki seems it will do the trick. And also from the DSD database, the iFi iDSD portable DAC (http://www.ifi-audio.com/en/iDAC.html) looks even better, handling native DSD input, as well as DSD128, although here in NZ the price has morphed from the $169 (couldn’t see where you can buy it for at that price.??) to $450. And if the SBT still won’t handle the converted DSD files, I can also run them directly from a PC. I’ll wait to hear how you get on Brett.
Jon

bprice2

Thanks Brett & Holzohr: The Schiit Loki seems it will do the trick. And also from the DSD database, the iFi iDSD portable DAC (http://www.ifi-audio.com/en/iDAC.html) looks even better, handling native DSD input, as well as DSD128, although here in NZ the price has morphed from the $169 (couldn’t see where you can buy it for at that price.??) to $450. And if the SBT still won’t handle the converted DSD files, I can also run them directly from a PC. I’ll wait to hear how you get on Brett.
Jon

The Loki works just fine with the EDOed Touch.  :thumb:

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
The Loki works just fine with the EDOed Touch.  :thumb:

That's good to know.  What does Loki do when sent a PCM file?

bprice2

That's good to know.  What does Loki do when sent a PCM file?

It very elegantly does nothing.

holzohr

bprice... How does the Loki handle DSD, soundwise? "Better" than the TEAC?

bprice2

bprice... How does the Loki handle DSD, soundwise? "Better" than the TEAC?
My initial impression is the Loki does not sound better than the TEAC.  However, I have not listened critically to the two of them side- by-side.  Give me a little time and I'll get a better handle on the Loki. I'll probably give it a little write-up in a different thread.

holzohr

Oki, thank you. I am almost glad that it doesn't sound better (for now)  :)  But maybe the Loki needs its burn-in time  :D

DZetye

yes, please add your listening comments of the Loki after you have spent some time with it.  look forward to your impressions

JonD

Also, is it necessary to have the SBT at 100% volume to play DSD files? 100% volume might be a bit too loud with my 1000w RMS per channel amp. In which case I'd need a DAC with a volume control as I don't use a pre-amp.
Jon

holzohr

Yes, having the SBT at 100% volume is necessary to play DSD files (DoP) and (I think) also to play Hi-Res PCM files. It is a "bit perfect" thing. The DAC can not lock if the stream is not bit perfect.

Deribas

I'm a long-time SBT user and have used the EDO capability with the USB  DAC built into Peachtree Grand Integrated. Unfortunately, the GI is not dsd-compatible and went back to the company (for other reasons). I'm currently awaiting the arrival of Benchmark DAC2L and reading this thread in preparation. Two questions come to mind:

1. Can benchmark DAC2 only accept DSD as DoP files, or can I also send, for instance, .DSF files?
2.  Is Foobar the only way to convert .dsf files to DoP-compatible FLAC files? I'm asking because as a Mac user, Foobar is kind of uncharted territory.

Thanks for generating this most informative thread

holzohr

Hello Deribas,

if creating DoP files should be a problem (I am not a MAC user), have a look at www.daphile.com  It is a small slim "OS" based on Gentoo and LMS 7.8.0. It offers converting DSD -> DoP on-the-fly. I use it on a small fanless Shuffle barebone (with a SSD) for a week.  All I can say is:  :thumb:

Advantage compared to the SBT is also USB-hotplugging and DSD128 playback. The "poor" SBT is used as display for the USB DAC at the moment. Surprisingly (to me) I could chose the USB DAC as extern player in the SBT menu.

Regards
Mario

migman

Thanks for all the great info in this thread.  I also have used EDO with my SBT for quite a while and just recently purchased a Schiit Loki for my DSD files.  I was disappointed that I would have to use a Mac music player to stream my DSD files to the Loki, but now I will fire up Windows 7 in a VM on the Mac and give the Foobar conversion process a try.

I still haven't found a replacement for the Touch that can do everything I want.  I almost purchased the new Sony HAP-S1 but at $1000 it was a bit steep, so I went with the Loki add-on instead for $150. If I can get the Loki to play nice with the Touch I'll be extremely happy.  Thanks!

migman

Just an update...got Foobar setup in my Win7 install and ran a test conversion on my Jerry Goldsmith SACD.  Loaded the FLACs into LMS on my Mac mini, selected the USB output on my Touch (which recognized the Loki with no issue) and it started playing with no problems.  I didn't have a chance to do any critical comparisons yet (I have the same SACD down res'd to 16/44.1), but that is next on the list to do.  I also want to try to edit my metadata with XLD to see if that alters the converted FLACs at all.  So far I am extremely pleased.

tubesguy2

Hello Deribas,

if creating DoP files should be a problem (I am not a MAC user), have a look at www.daphile.com  It is a small slim "OS" based on Gentoo and LMS 7.8.0. It offers converting DSD -> DoP on-the-fly. I use it on a small fanless Shuffle barebone (with a SSD) for a week.  All I can say is:  :thumb:

Advantage compared to the SBT is also USB-hotplugging and DSD128 playback. The "poor" SBT is used as display for the USB DAC at the moment. Surprisingly (to me) I could chose the USB DAC as extern player in the SBT menu.

Regards
Mario

Hi Mario -

Based on your recommendation, I have gotten Daphile up and running on a $125 Core2Duo refurb computer from Newegg, and I use the Touch as my controller.

My DSD dac is out of the system right now (attempting to do some Acko/synch magic to it) but I'm hoping when it's finished for an overall solution to my music library system that will let me use the Touch for all types of files. This post of yours is the only mention I've seen of DSD to DoP on the fly capabilities of Daphile in any of the threads mentioning Daphile.  Can you tell me how I can access this capability? Has Kipeta put any type of notification or tutorial up on his site?  If so, I haven't yet found it.

Thanks in advance for any help - Pat

holzohr

Hi Pat,
you can activate "DSD over PCM" in the Audio Device Settings

Most of my DSD files are in the DoP format for streaming via the SBT before but some albums are in native .dsf as the Opus 3 DSD Showcases (even DSD128), Daphile converts these files on-the-fly. My DAC only accepts the DoP format, not the native .dff or .dsf files.

tubesguy2

Hey, Mario, thanks for the quick reply and the help.  The last thing I had seen was from back in August with Kipeta saying he didn't have a DSD dac and thus hadn't explored DoP.  With this capability, he's really got a winner in Daphile, at least for those who like the Touch interface. Thanks again - Pat

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
The Loki plays DSD from the SBT?  That's cool!  So to play FLAC through the Loki via the SBT, all we have to to do is convert FLAC to DSD, then convert DSD to DoP FLAC.  No problem! :?

I've been keeping an eye on this thread since I started it a while back.  Good to see you guys taking it further than I ever could.

Russ

holzohr

Pat, you're welcome. Kipeta is posting about Daphile in several forums. I found his thread in the slimdevices forum in the beginning of October. Reading about the DSD playback... I simply had to try out that. And yes.. Daphile seems to be the ideal system for people with a Squeezebox "background".

Btw... after what I have heard and read, the Mytek 192 seems to be problematic with Linux and also with Daphile. Other DACs with common USB chips should work with Daphile.

Russ,
then convert DSD to DoP FLAC
at least this you don't need to do with Daphile  :)