AudioQuest JitterBug

Servingthemusic.com

Re: AudioQuest JitterBug
« Reply #20 on: 3 Oct 2015, 04:50 pm »
I'm using a Bryston Buc-1 usb converter with my YSF data only usb.  My old dac died and I'm limping along on an old Musical Fidelity X-Dac while I'm sorting through the market place.  The old x-dac actually sounds pretty good.

I'm in the same boat..deciding on what direction to go with a DAC..trying to see where the market is going.

Starchild

• Free your mind and your behind will follow!
« Reply #21 on: 3 Oct 2015, 06:02 pm »
I'm in the same boat..deciding on what direction to go with a DAC..trying to see where the market is going.

At this juncture I'm leaning very heavily towards a dac witha r2r ladder chip.

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #22 on: 3 Oct 2015, 08:54 pm »

For me I am not the least bit concerned about DAC chip or specs. i look at the overall design and value.

Starchild

« Reply #23 on: 3 Oct 2015, 10:03 pm »
For me I am not the least bit concerned about DAC chip or specs. i look at the overall design and value.

I don't see how you can evaluiate the overall design and value if you don't give some consideration to what's in the box.  But to each his own.  Value is in the ear and wallet of the beholder.  Good luck with your search.

mv

« Reply #24 on: 3 Oct 2015, 11:41 pm »

Which DAC is that?

Starchild

« Reply #25 on: 4 Oct 2015, 12:17 am »
Which DAC is that?

I think the Schiit multibit dacs deserve consideration as well as the Monarchy Audio m24 and nm24.  The Mojo Audio Mystique  and less expensive Audio Note kits look good too.  Occasionally I see a used MSB that looks reasonable.  I'm still wrestling with the no oversampling thing but have come to realize that upsampling is not necessarily the holy grail (native resolutions are probably better).  I like Bryston products (I love my BUC-1) but I just don't think I can go with a sigma/delta dac.  I've read several articles from designers that have caused me to rethink a lot of this stuff.  This one from Benjamin Zwickel Owner, Mojo Audio is a very interesting read and makes a lot of sense The 24-Bit Delusion.  Similar comments have been made by Mlke Moffatt, whom I have much respect for.  There's also an interesting read on Positive Feedback Mountains and Fog: the Sound of Digital Converters.  Granted, I'm sure there are valid arguments to be made from the sigma delta side and that's fine.  I just think you have to give those matters some consideration.  Ultimately its about what sounds best but you still have try to make a reasonably informed choice somewhere.  Just my 2 cents. 

Samurai7595

« Reply #26 on: 4 Oct 2015, 12:42 am »
That makes great sense when you think about it. If you're just using the USB for signal, no need to possibly muddy it up with power.

I'm no expert but from what I've read, some DACs need the 5V power from the USB device (or is it the other way around).

Therefore, for some setups, you cannot eliminate the power signal.

Phil A

« Reply #27 on: 4 Oct 2015, 12:43 am »
I'm no expert but from what I've read, some DACs need the 5V power from the USB device (or is it the other way around).

Therefore, for some setups, you cannot eliminate the power signal.

True - there is a list of many DACs here - http://www.aqvox.de/usb-power_en.html

Starchild

« Reply #28 on: 7 Oct 2015, 03:50 pm »
This is an interesting exchange on the Head-fi forum about multi-bit vs delta-sigma dacs.

R2R/Multibit vs. Delta-Sigma