VR33 vs Magnepan 1.7

Hear Clifford Brown

Re: VR33 vs Magnepan 1.7
« Reply #40 on: 3 Oct 2015, 07:30 pm »
I've never heard the VR33 but was tempted to buy them w/o an audition before purchasing a pre-owned pair of MG3.7i and had 1.7's before that.  In my room and system both create a wall of sound and disappear completely, and are the most detailed speakers I've owned.  The 3.7's have considerably more bass.  I've had Vandersteen 3A Signature, Coincident Super Eclipse III and Linkwitz Orions in this room.  It's not a huge difference at all, but I think the SE III's and Orion's created a greater illusion of soundstage depth.  But the sound I'm getting is so good I would not go back.  If the VR33's can do everything the 3.7i's do AND be more more dynamic, that would be close to everything you could ask for in a speaker.

In my room the 3.7i's are 5.5 feet from the wall behind.  Measured from their inner edges they are 4 feet 8 inches apart.  The outside edge of the right is 14 inches from the side wall, and the left 49 inches, due to the irregular shape of the room.  From the center of each speaker to the listening position is 9 feet.

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #41 on: 3 Oct 2015, 10:24 pm »
U guys should consider starting a dedicated Magnapan site on audiocircle.  I heard the 1.7's w dual subs today at RMAF.  They were doing A/B's with/without deqx.  Flat sounding without room/listening seat correction.   I think you'll find the VSA boyz are dedicated "coneheads".   

BigSwede

« Reply #42 on: 4 Oct 2015, 07:52 am »
In my room the 3.7i's are 5.5 feet from the wall behind. 
My VR-33s are 9 inches from the wall behind...  :)

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #43 on: 4 Oct 2015, 03:03 pm »
How close are they to the side walls?  The width dimension of my room has usually been a problem, can't get the speakers far enough apart without getting them too close to the side walls.

BigSwede

« Reply #44 on: 4 Oct 2015, 03:13 pm »
I have mine on the long wall of the living room, so the side walls are not near.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #45 on: 4 Oct 2015, 04:09 pm »
I have owned the VR33s for a couple of years and I absolutely love them. I was just wondering how the Maggie 1.7 sound in comparison. Anyone with any insight  or who has heard both for comparison ?
Jim,
Thought I'd go back to your original post to re-sync.  I've heard both, driven by Classic Cherry (standard and ULTRA) and KING Maraschino - and other amps not much worth mentioning (ok, some bias there, but we're talking about speakers here). Note that these were on multiple separate occasions....

My money would be on the Magnepan 1.7s.  There's just nothing like the soundstage they create. I'd also use Maraschino amps for the way the make the Mags come alive. The Mags really take like speed and extended bandwidth. The 1.7s image like nobody's business!

Regarding bass, the Mags also enjoy a healthy boost from DC coupling. Really makes the bass work, better than I thought a modest sized panel ever could.  Many 1.7 owners wind up buying bigger panels later. The 3.7s (or 3.7i), for example, but maybe this is because they have weakened bass due to what's driving them.

However, if you like punch-you-in-the-gut bass, go for the VR33s.  They sound simply amazing, especially in smaller rooms where the Mags would be crammed in.  The Mags need room.

Good luck with your system.

-Tommy O
Digital Amp Co

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #46 on: 5 Oct 2015, 01:45 am »
Swede - thanks for mentioning the long wall placement.  Being able to place the VR33 very close to the wall behind makes long wall placement much more of a possibility than with Magnepans in many rooms.  I could never use the long wall for my 3.7i's because with the minimum space behind them and some space behind the chair, I'd be sitting too close.

BigSwede

« Reply #47 on: 5 Oct 2015, 02:57 pm »
No doubt. My room is 12'x20', so having the speakers 5.5 feet from the long wall isn't really an option.

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #48 on: 5 Oct 2015, 07:51 pm »
Nice size room.  Any pictures?

BigSwede

« Reply #49 on: 5 Oct 2015, 10:52 pm »
Lol not after seeing all the amazing listening rooms that guys here have. My situation is extremely middle class, and the stereo is just in the living room of a 1950s rambler, in 30-year old stereo cabinet...nothing to see here, move along. :)

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #50 on: 6 Oct 2015, 01:27 am »
Well, I bet your VR33 speakers sound great in your LR, enjoy   :thumb: