what software are you using? and are you upsampling?

guf

I'm using Audirvana and just started experimenting with upsampling.  Wondering what others have been doing?

fridays

Re: what software are you using? and are you upsampling?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2014, 03:07 pm »
I am using Audirvana as well, on other Dacs upsampling worked well, but I dont use it with my Big5, it sounds best native
What really stinks is I bought Amarra back when it was stupid expensive, but I prefer Audirvana by a large margin

wisnon

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2014, 04:06 pm »
I have JRiver and A+.

There is a lot of talk about how good Signalyst' HQPlayer is for upsampling RBCD to DSD128 and higher!

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2014, 03:52 pm »
I want to see if I can revive this thread.

I've used Pure Music but transitioned to JRiver a couple of years ago for DSD support. I upsample everything to 2XDSD BTW.

I have no complaints about the sound quality of JRiver but have recently read nice things about HQPlayer. I'm sure some folks in this circle have tried both products. If anyone has any observations they would care to share, that would be great.

wisnon

« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2014, 09:40 pm »
The consensus is that HQP is MUCH better at upsampling! Thorsten Loesch testing seems to confirm this too.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2014, 02:39 am »
I'm still using Audirvana + and am happy with it, they haven't had any updates for a long time thou. Does the HQP work with apple?

wisnon

« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2014, 07:43 am »
Yes it does now. Before you needed an NAA.

A+ does not have the DSD upsampling feature built in. Further the filters in HQP seem to be the most advanced.

Sligolad

« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2014, 02:50 pm »
No Upsampling.

MQN kernel streaming versions for 16 44 PCM, nothing I have tried comes close to it these days, takes time to get up to speed with it as it has been evolving very quickly but looking like it could be coming to a set version for 16 44 soon, then hopefully HiRez versions to follow.

MQN KS 16 44 PCM playback is as close as I have ever heard to DSD, stunning, it got me back ripping lots of old CD's again.
Do not even think of trying it unless you want to go through a lot of learning but if you are the Development "GK" version works for the Lampi's with Amanero board.

For HiRez and DSD still using JPlay.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #8 on: 19 Dec 2014, 03:11 pm »
I've downloaded the Mac trial version but haven't gotten it to play yet. It seems you really need to read the manual to get this app up and running.  :roll:

guf

« Reply #9 on: 19 Dec 2014, 04:32 pm »
I've downloaded the Mac trial version but haven't gotten it to play yet. It seems you really need to read the manual to get this app up and running.  :roll:

yeah I tried to last night and wasn't even able to get it to play flacs
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2014, 07:28 pm by guf »

wisnon

« Reply #10 on: 19 Dec 2014, 07:52 pm »

Of MQN or HQP?

shahed

« Reply #11 on: 19 Dec 2014, 07:59 pm »
Problem with any non Jriver type player is, the headless support is not great I guess.

I'm hearing these players are the cream of the crop when it comes to sound quality (upsampling or not): HQP, MQN, Bughead Emperor.

Miska from HQP has mentioned on ComputerAudiophile that his player won't perform optimally on Windows 2012 server. Unfortunately most state of the art music server is built using WS 2012, audiophile optimizer and paul pang stuff. So, this is unfortunate.

So, my question is - whats the best audio player that has superb sound quality and has reasonable headless support (android/iphone app for example) and can perform optimally with WS 2012 OS? DSD upsampling would be a bonus.

guf

« Reply #12 on: 19 Dec 2014, 09:40 pm »
Of MQN or HQP?

I was talking about HQP

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #14 on: 20 Dec 2014, 12:46 am »
If you try HQP and cannot hear anything, be sure to turn the volume dial on the user interface all the way up.  :duh:

wisnon

« Reply #15 on: 20 Dec 2014, 09:20 am »
Problem with any non Jriver type player is, the headless support is not great I guess.

I'm hearing these players are the cream of the crop when it comes to sound quality (upsampling or not): HQP, MQN, Bughead Emperor.

Miska from HQP has mentioned on ComputerAudiophile that his player won't perform optimally on Windows 2012 server. Unfortunately most state of the art music server is built using WS 2012, audiophile optimizer and paul pang stuff. So, this is unfortunate.

So, my question is - whats the best audio player that has superb sound quality and has reasonable headless support (android/iphone app for example) and can perform optimally with WS 2012 OS? DSD upsampling would be a bonus.
Phil is working on this optimization with HQP. Stay tuned…

This is the 'holy grail'.