Planet Drum

Captainhemo

Planet Drum
« on: 12 Apr 2013, 03:37 am »
I normally  wouldn't post this here but it was so cool  on my new speakers, I thouhgt maybe some of you   may want to give  it  a go.. I thought this sounded incredable,  I con't imagine  how it would sound  on  apir of  LS6's or LS9's
I am continuing to try  lots of different music on my OB7's  .  Tonight I came across this and  was very impressed with  how the sound was  projected around the room.  There is lots of depth and movement throughout the tracks.  Bass is clean and tight
It is an album called Drum Planet by Mickey Hartr.

I  turned it up  and  turned down the light.   You  would swear you are on location  The drums sound  amazingly real.  Where's the masks and dancers ?     :o

-jay

-jay

GT Audio Works

Re: Planet Drum
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2013, 04:11 am »
I normally  wouldn't post this here but it was so cool  on my new speakers, I thouhgt maybe some of you   may want to give  it  a go.. I thought this sounded incredable,  I con't imagine  how it would sound  on  apir of  LS6's or LS9's
I am continuing to try  lots of different music on my OB7's  .  Tonight I came across this and  was very impressed with  how the sound was  projected around the room.  There is lots of depth and movement throughout the tracks.  Bass is clean and tight

I  turned it up  and  turned down the light.   You  would swear you are on location  The drums sound  amazingly real.  Where's the masks and dancers ?     :o

-jay

-jay
Great CD !!
 There is one track..Temple caves ??  or something like that  has some awesome low frequency content. Gets my room rattling !!
You  may want to check out Glen Velez  Rhythm color exotica... the resonance and the sound of his hands hitting the skin of the frame drums is wonderful.   Greg

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2013, 04:47 am »
So Jay.......I take it your pleased with your new stuff?.............. :wink:

bdp24

« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2013, 10:27 am »

-jay

Jay---The Mickey Hart album is on the Reference Recordings label out of San Fransisco, and has been used for hi-fi demo's since it's release. Another great demo disc of drums is a direct-to-disc album on Sheffield Records, each side being a live recording of solo drumset playing. One side is of studio great Jim Keltner.

-jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #4 on: 12 Apr 2013, 03:47 pm »
I'll try  those other suggestions as well guys, thanks..  I did search out Glen Velez on  Rdio last night ,  they have 4 of his albums but not the one you  mentioned

Perry,  yes,  I am  really  happy with the OB7's.  I'm going to try  and get  some  impressions up  on my build thread this  weekend

-jay

rockdrummer

« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2013, 01:20 pm »
Awesome, i have that cd. I thought it sounded good on my crappy speakers, cant wait to finish my amp and new kit!! Thanks for the info.
Ben

gmurray618

« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr 2013, 01:41 am »
I haven't listened to that in some time.   Great alb em.  Dafos is simular but perhaps a bit more intense.  Another called Diga is totally different and had a very interesting recording technique.  You won't find the base of Dafos but a lighter sound-scape.  My fave is Happiness Is Drumming.

Good to hear about you enjoying your new speakers.   :)

Captainhemo

« Reply #7 on: 18 Apr 2013, 02:31 am »
Thanks for the suggestions .  I'll  maybe check  a couple  of them out after the hockey game tonight if they are available on Rdio  :)

-jay

carusoracer

« Reply #8 on: 18 Apr 2013, 02:41 am »
I have all of them and they are great listening. Very nice recordings, enjoy the speakers!

mikeeastman

« Reply #9 on: 18 Apr 2013, 02:58 am »
He also produce and play on "The Apocalypse Now Sessions" the group was called Rhythm Devils. I think it's one of his best.

mojave

« Reply #10 on: 23 Apr 2013, 02:01 pm »
We just got this album for possible use at the Iowa Speaker GTG this coming Saturday. The CD was shipped to the host's house so I won't get a chance to hear it until Thursday or Friday. Is there a track or two that is recommended?

edoggrc51

« Reply #11 on: 23 Apr 2013, 06:19 pm »
I just got my copy of Planet Drum last night. Thanks guys!  :thumb:

Captainhemo

« Reply #12 on: 23 Apr 2013, 06:50 pm »
We just got this album for possible use at the Iowa Speaker GTG this coming Saturday. The CD was shipped to the host's house so I won't get a chance to hear it until Thursday or Friday. Is there a track or two that is recommended?

As GT Audio mentioned above, track 7 "Temple Caves"  has  really deep bass and some cool  effects.  I also  really like  tracks 5 "Jewe, you are the one" and  6 "The Hunt".   I find the sound of the drums being struck  is really well defined   and the sound stage seems  really big in these  tracks.  Bet they'd be incredible on the LS6's
I 'll  maybe have another listen tonight and  let you  know what else really stands out.   They are all pretty cool though :)
« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2013, 08:39 pm by Captainhemo »

Captainhemo

« Reply #13 on: 24 Apr 2013, 01:58 am »
In addition to those  other tracks,
 Also like track 2  "Island Groove" ,
Track 11 "Evening Samba"  has an interestin gmix of mid bass and some  highs
Track 13  " Mysterious Island "  really seems to add some depth to the room  with some neat effect

I'm  sure everyone is going to have their favoritess, I'd say those  would be mine

-jay

mojave

« Reply #14 on: 24 Apr 2013, 02:10 pm »
Thanks for the recommendations. I should have a chance to listen to these tracks tomorrow night.

Captainhemo

« Reply #15 on: 6 May 2013, 07:16 pm »
Any report   ?  Kind of curious as to how   this sounded on the LS6's  as well as the other  speakers  that were there

-jay