Synergistic Research technology versus Walker Velocitor technology

Big Red Machine

There isn't any disclosure of what technology Lloyd Walker is employing in his Velocitor units.  All the reviews I have uncovered give it high praise.  I have used Synergistic Power Cells before with mixed results but do know that they are based on magnetics much like Core Technologies and perhaps others.  So no capacitors, coils, etc. in the chain.

If the reviews of Velocitors and even Lloyd's own website claim a speeding up or higher energy of the music, isn't that going to be the same result that Power Cells give?  Lloyed says not caps, etc. in his unit.

I have had 3 BPT's and 1 Furman balanced unit and do not want to go back to that.  Have tried a large Audience unit but it seemed thin on the top end and we know it is loaded with capacitors and chokes.

Anyone have any insights or theories on how the Walker units function?
« Last Edit: 1 Nov 2014, 04:38 pm by Big Red Machine »

Folsom

Yes, your fear of capacitors and inductors is irrational; stemmed from marketing. The audience may have been correct and you where hearing what your stereo sounds like.

Big Red Machine

Clarified my particular question.

Folsom

It appears to act like a resonance device from what I can dig up. The concept is that it influences electrons to flow better, with a reduction of "noise" of them being toward random. It'd be similar to cryo'd gear, except that in this case the potential can extend farther, into equipment, and maybe much more effectively. That is, in concept. It might literally just try to cancel resonances and nothing else (not that impressive and only works on standing ones).

It doesn't do anything really for removing noise on the line, it just makes things sound slightly better. In fact maybe all it's really doing is offering a tiny bit of PFC and not really doing whatever they're talking about.

The most expensive conditioner I've made has 17 Bybee's in it. However they are icing on the cake, and don't hold the fart of mouse to what the rest of the conditioner does.

There's so many reasons why many conditioners aren't quiet what people want them to be. The least of all is because of particular parts themselves, and only sometimes because of inappropriate use. Every piece of equipment you own has capacitors in it, and almost all have a transformer. It's ironic that marketing tells us that these things are inherently bad, because as far as I can tell they're taking advantage of someones less than ideal topology/implementation to be able to warrant selling you stuff that doesn't cost much of anything, at high prices. Look at Pi Audio who doesn't use several things others do, and look at his price reflecting that, being extremely modest; oh and it sounds good.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
It appears to act like a resonance device from what I can dig up. The concept is that it influences electrons to flow better, with a reduction of "noise" of them being toward random. It'd be similar to cryo'd gear, except that in this case the potential can extend farther, into equipment, and maybe much more effectively. That is, in concept. It might literally just try to cancel resonances and nothing else (not that impressive and only works on standing ones).

It doesn't do anything really for removing noise on the line, it just makes things sound slightly better. In fact maybe all it's really doing is offering a tiny bit of PFC and not really doing whatever they're talking about.

The most expensive conditioner I've made has 17 Bybee's in it. However they are icing on the cake, and don't hold the fart of mouse to what the rest of the conditioner does.

There's so many reasons why many conditioners aren't quiet what people want them to be. The least of all is because of particular parts themselves, and only sometimes because of inappropriate use. Every piece of equipment you own has capacitors in it, and almost all have a transformer. It's ironic that marketing tells us that these things are inherently bad, because as far as I can tell they're taking advantage of someones less than ideal topology/implementation to be able to warrant selling you stuff that doesn't cost much of anything, at high prices. Look at Pi Audio who doesn't use several things others do, and look at his price reflecting that, being extremely modest; oh and it sounds good.
When/where do we see specs (including pricing) on your conditioner? 

Folsom

I almost forgot...

Use your ears to select which like, in total disregard for everything else, you'll be happier. My advise is chose one that has the least fatigue, while maintaining aspects you enjoy in the music. I mean, if fatigue isn't low you won't listen so it's pretty important. 

Folsom

When/where do we see specs (including pricing) on your conditioner?

They're custom order for now. You can PM me if you like. (Wrong circle to "advertise")

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
They're custom order for now. You can PM me if you like. (Wrong circle to "advertise")
OK, how about starting a new thread here so you can tell us all. 

Big Red Machine

I am not saying caps, et al are bad.  Having owned those types of units I can appreciate what they do.  I am interested in the final sound that can be influenced by the different types of conditioners and the Walker site provides zero as to what it really does.  Many happy users so I am interested in exploring.