Paul's Band On The Run in 24/96

Phil A

« on: 20 Oct 2010, 01:00 am »
I noticed there are two versions of "Band on the Run" - Deluxe and Special and the Deluxe is much more expensive and apparently has a 4th disc.  I'm all for hi-rez and like the music even though I really don't believe Paul McCartney is really alive.  It looked like the Deluxe Edition was three and a half times the Special Edition.  Anyone know if there are any other differences other than the 4th disc?

Phil A

« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2010, 01:56 am »
I found some more info.  From the below it's looks like the hi-rez will be downloadable only with the expensive Deluxe Edition?  Or did I misread it?

http://www.concordmusicgroup.com/albums/Band-On-The-Run-CD-DVD-HRM-32564-00/

“Collectors will be especially thrilled by the 4 disc (3CD, 1 DVD) deluxe edition which adds an extraordinary 120-page hard bound book containing many unseen and unpublished photos by Linda McCartney and Clive Arrowsmith, album and single artwork, downloadable hi-res audio versions of the remastered album and bonus audio tracks, a full history of the album complete with a new interview with Paul and expanded track by track information for all four discs. The deluxe edition also includes a special Band on the Run audio documentary (originally produced for the 25th Anniversary edition.)”

TomS

« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2010, 02:07 am »
Hmm, so I assume that's just the $90 flavor in hi-rez (3cd, 1DVD, + download hi-rez)?

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2010, 02:14 am »
Hmm, so I assume that's just the $90 flavor in hi-rez (3cd, 1DVD, + download hi-rez)?

I don't know but that's how I read the description

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 20 Oct 2010, 02:16 am »

I also seen pre-order price for the Deluxe Edition in the neighborhood of $70.  It would be nice if they just had the downloadable hi-rez version.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #5 on: 20 Oct 2010, 03:11 am »
Guys, not sure what you are looking at, but my site shows hirez for $19.99, just like I posted.  And yes, as per my post there are like 4 versions of the "collection"...too much IMHO.

http://www.paulmccartney.com/bandontherun/

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 20 Oct 2010, 03:14 am »
Ted - the site I posted is that of the record label - Concord Music Group.  What site are you looking at?

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 20 Oct 2010, 03:16 am »
Ted - the site I posted is that of the record label - Concord Music Group.  What site are you looking at?

Paul's site, the one I referenced.  It's in my posts (I edited the original too).

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 20 Oct 2010, 03:27 am »
I wonder if the record label will show it later?  They show four versions, CD, LP, Special and Deluxe but no separate digital?

http://www.concordmusicgroup.com/search/?Search_Type=album&Search=band+on+the+run

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 20 Oct 2010, 03:41 am »
Incidentally, if one goes to the McCartney site and places the digital download in their cart it shows this:

Pre-order BOTR High Resolution Digital Audio Only
Hide details

$19.99

Selected Digital Media:
Audio Format: MP3 Only (320 kbps)

Bonus Tracks
AUDIO TRACKS:
- Band on the Run (Live in Glasgow, 1979)
- No Words (Live in Glasgow, 1979)

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 20 Oct 2010, 03:57 am »
I've been reading the descriptions again on the McCartney website and I believe the Deluxe Edition Digital Audio for $29.99 does include hi-rez vs. the regular digital for $19.99 which is 320bps MP3S.  The description of the Deluxe Edition Digital says this:

"Deluxe Edition audio is available as DRM-free 320Kbps MP3s, FLAC, Apple Lossless and high resolution 24bit 96kHz audio (limited and unlimited)
"

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 20 Oct 2010, 04:56 am »
I've been reading the descriptions again on the McCartney website and I believe the Deluxe Edition Digital Audio for $29.99 does include hi-rez vs. the regular digital for $19.99 which is 320bps MP3S.  The description of the Deluxe Edition Digital says this:

"Deluxe Edition audio is available as DRM-free 320Kbps MP3s, FLAC, Apple Lossless and high resolution 24bit 96kHz audio (limited and unlimited)
"

Phil, what my site says is there is no "regular digital for $19.99" (you can buy MP3 only for $8.99).  If you were to order the deluxe downloads at $29.99 (which you claim is only way to get 24/96) then go to store and pulldown details...still says MP3 (which is obviously wrong....likely just early pre-order issues)

I ordered the hirez at $19.99.  I'll report back on Nov 2nd.

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 20 Oct 2010, 09:51 am »
Ted thanks.  It is hard with most commercial labels to get accurate information when it is hi-rez.  I'm all over it if it is $19.99 and I'd even spring for $29.99.  $89.99 (even discounted) is just too much.

firedog

« Reply #13 on: 20 Oct 2010, 01:33 pm »
Ted-

I'd love to have this in high res, but I'll wait to hear your report about what the file really is. I agree that the "mp3" description with the link is probably just a mistake; but after you get the file, let us know if it is really 24/96 and how the remaster sounds.

I for one really appreciate that they are making an "unlimited" version available. I don't like volume compression, even when lightly applied as on the Beatles remasters - I think, for example, it makes the percussion sounds too up front and un-natural sounding.

firedog

« Reply #14 on: 28 Oct 2010, 06:05 am »
Wrote the company asking about the checkout calling the hi res files 320k mp3. Here's the reply I received:
Hi there,

Apologies for any confusion but the "mp3/320 only" refers to the bonus tracks you receive immediately after purchasing. Any other audio that comes with your order will be available in the hi-res formats.

firedog

« Reply #15 on: 30 Oct 2010, 11:36 am »
Amazon just emailed me an advertisement for the remaster. They are pushing all the variations EXCEPT the hi-res. The hi-res is only mentioned in a passing phrase in the product description (as a bonus you get with the deluxe and special editions). No separate download mentioned or the ability to buy the download from them or through them as a separate edition. No listing of the hi-res tracks in the product detail.

I think this tells us a lot about the place of hi-res in marketing for the mainstream - non-existent.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 30 Oct 2010, 02:31 pm »
Agree about hirez in the mainstream.  We're trying!  :)

Update:  I cancelled my hirez order for $19.99 (cc problem on the site) and forgot to reorder until today.  Lo and behold the Macca site now has the hirez split into "limited " and "unlimited" each for $9.99.  I ordered the "unlimited" and it went through (downloaded the 2 addtl mp3 songs, live versions of BOTR and No Words).

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
« Reply #17 on: 30 Oct 2010, 02:46 pm »
Ted:
What is the difference between the "limited" and "unlimited"?
Chris H.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 30 Oct 2010, 03:00 pm »

Peak limiting is a process that increases the loudness of music. It is achieved by holding the loudest peaks down and raising the overall level of the music. Much depends on the amount of limiting applied, but at its most extreme the result can be a serious reduction in the dynamic range and often audible distortion.

The release of The Beatles’ remasters in 2009 saw a marked change in attitudes towards these issues, where both noise reduction and limiting were used sparingly with the aim of representing the master tapes more accurately. Such is the case with the newly remastered CD of Band on the Run: tape noise reduction has scarcely been used and the degree of limiting is subtle. In addition digital technology has advanced with the ability now to offer recordings in 24 bit/96kHz. The high resolution version is being made available via download and is being offered in two formats: limited, which is comparable in volume to the remastered CD, and un-limited, which in comparison with the limited version will sound quieter, but retain the dynamic range of the original master recording.

Allan Rouse Abbey Road Studios"

[/i]

Chris, That's all I got.  I've never seen this kind of release before...a hirez file with gain limiting?  Might be interesting to get both for $19.99 or we swap (for scientific purposes only  :)  ).

Phil A

« Reply #19 on: 30 Oct 2010, 06:22 pm »
Agree about hirez in the mainstream.  We're trying!  :)

Update:  I cancelled my hirez order for $19.99 (cc problem on the site) and forgot to reorder until today.  Lo and behold the Macca site now has the hirez split into "limited " and "unlimited" each for $9.99.  I ordered the "unlimited" and it went through (downloaded the 2 addtl mp3 songs, live versions of BOTR and No Words).

I ordered it too