Hello

kai41314

Hello
« on: 18 Oct 2017, 10:34 pm »
Hi,

I am from Australia and looking to try SE tube amplifiers. I hope I can find the info I need here!

Cheers,
Kai

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2017, 10:43 pm »
Welcome Kai :thumb:
For tube amps always better stick with Single Ended and a hi sensitivity speaker around 100dB, if possible full range single driver in a small room.

JakeJ

« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2017, 11:01 pm »
Hello, Kai, and welcome to AC.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 19 Oct 2017, 02:02 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Kai   :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 19 Oct 2017, 02:18 pm »
Yep, single driver designs with high efficiency is one of the best speaker to couple with SE tube amps.  But they're not without their challenges such as limited frequency range - especially bass, exaggerated midrange, and colored response.

After years of owning at pair of very nice single driver speakers I've converted (added an ambience tweeters and subwoofer).  If I were going the route I'd start out by looking for a nice/efficient 2-way and realize that SE means being limited to small ensemble music in a small room or possibly a huge/high efficiency speaker. 

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct 2017, 03:10 pm »
JLM seems you like neutral speakers.
I would prefer a organic sound from a paper cone FR, what I like is the general integrity and the rich harmonic content, so I not stringent with the  bass/treble extension.
As all in life audio hobby is a commitment of qualities versus a price point.

Edited.
« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2017, 05:41 pm by FullRangeMan »

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 19 Oct 2017, 06:00 pm »
Welcome!

JLM

« Reply #7 on: 19 Oct 2017, 07:43 pm »
JLM seems you like neutral speakers.
I would prefer a organic sound from a paper cone FR, what I like is the general integrity and the rich harmonic content, so I not stringent with the  bass/treble extension.
As all in life audio hobby is a commitment of qualities versus a price point.

Edited.

There is no perfect loudspeaker.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 19 Oct 2017, 08:11 pm »
If I were going the route I'd start out by looking for a nice/efficient 2-way and realize that SE means being limited to small ensemble music in a small room or possibly a huge/high efficiency speaker.
What are your favor 2 way speakers?

JLM

« Reply #9 on: 20 Oct 2017, 01:49 am »
Was afraid you'd ask.  One the best I've heard was a 12 inch woofer/horn loaded tweeter floor-stander I heard 16 years ago at the MidWest AudioFest, made by an associate of Wayne from Pi Speakers.  Of course Duke LeJeune builds similar 2-ways but I've not heard them.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 20 Oct 2017, 02:05 am »
No prob, no need enter in details 8)