Wadia i170 with VDC 9.0

blazen69

Wadia i170 with VDC 9.0
« on: 2 Nov 2009, 07:32 pm »
I have been considering pairing the Wadia ipod transport with the CiAudio VDC 9.0
and i had a couple questions about it.In the Stereophile review of the Wadia they
mentioned that it had quite high jitter, and i was wondering if anyone knows where
the jitter comes from.Does it come from the switching power supply?Would the VDC 9.0
help with this?Any input would be greatly appreciated.

CIAudio

Re: Wadia i170 with VDC 9.0
« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2009, 07:53 pm »
The jitter is primarily caused by the Wadia's internal circuit which converts USB to spdif.

blazen69

« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2009, 08:46 pm »
Ah,i see.That makes sense.So i guess i would be better off going with a Squeezebox
then? Apparently it's jitter measurements are quite a bit better.Btw, thank you for the
quick response.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2009, 08:53 pm »
If you already have an iPod, the Wadia can make sense.  Several companies offer mods (starting around $375) to reduce jitter and upgrade the power supply.

But if you don't have an iPod (or don't want to deal with the limited storage and eventual battery life), the Squeeze Box (or Duet) wins.  Like the Wadia, stock SB/Duet units aren't considered high end.

Either way its about a $1,000 USD to mod and upgrade the power supplies plus you'll need a computer and probably add one or two hard drives for storage and backup.