VAC-1 substantial difference?

jlafrenz

VAC-1 substantial difference?
« on: 2 Jan 2012, 01:54 am »
In regards to the VDA-2, I am curious about the results of those who added the power supply.

Was there a substantial difference?
Was it worth the extra $?
And what did you gain by adding the VAC-1?

slbenz

Re: VAC-1 substantial difference?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2012, 03:32 am »
In regards to the VDA-2, I am curious about the results of those who added the power supply.

Was there a substantial difference?
Was it worth the extra $?
And what did you gain by adding the VAC-1?

Yes, it is a big jump in sound quality over the stock wall wart.  More clean bass, clarity and more life-like sound with a blacker background.  Worth it?  Yes, especially it gives you the option to use an aftermarket power cord. 

jlafrenz

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2012, 02:58 am »
Thanks for your response. Care to elaborate on "big jump in sound quality"?

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #3 on: 6 Jan 2012, 04:10 am »
Yes, The VAC-1 makes a substantial difference.

I have a modded VDA-1, and the addition of the CIA power supply has made it my DAC of choice for the majority of listening sessions. There's really no comparison to the stock PS.

CIA has a 30 day trial, but you'll know in the first few bars that you won't be sending it back. :thumb:

Have fun,

Jerry

slbenz

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2012, 03:38 am »
Thanks for your response. Care to elaborate on "big jump in sound quality"?

As I said before, cleaner bass and not as muddy.  Background is much quieter.  Gives the presentation closer to a live performance.  More three dimensional in the soundstage and and imaging vs. the wall wart.  Closer to a tube-like warmth without cutting off the highs.

jlafrenz

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2012, 01:11 am »
Thanks guys. I am hoping to get my hands on a used one of these in the near future.

griff2

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jan 2012, 12:10 pm »
I'm awaiting a VAC-1 in the post, for my VDA-2.  I look forward to finding out just what the differences are.

griff2

« Reply #7 on: 31 Jan 2012, 09:22 pm »
Well, recived VAC-1 and have to say, initial impressions are not that good.  Yes, you get more analytical detail but this really is at the expense of musical involvement, ie the feel of the music.  As a UK user I'm not sure whether to send the power supply back, and lose the fortune in VAT I paid.  Maybe I would be better off selling on say, Head-Fi, or maybe even ebay.

Still, as a pure AC source, I'm tempted to build my own power supply, using maybe a toroidal transformer, if I wish to situate the power supply on the equipment rack (although why would I want to do that?) and then make some comparisons.

Pity really, I'm somewhat disillusioned and was hoping for great things..

dminches

« Reply #8 on: 31 Jan 2012, 09:27 pm »
How many hours do you have on the PS?  My guess is that it may take a little time to burn in.

CIAudio

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jan 2012, 10:16 pm »
Well, recived VAC-1 and have to say, initial impressions are not that good.  Yes, you get more analytical detail but this really is at the expense of musical involvement, ie the feel of the music.  As a UK user I'm not sure whether to send the power supply back, and lose the fortune in VAT I paid.  Maybe I would be better off selling on say, Head-Fi, or maybe even ebay.

Still, as a pure AC source, I'm tempted to build my own power supply, using maybe a toroidal transformer, if I wish to situate the power supply on the equipment rack (although why would I want to do that?) and then make some comparisons.

Pity really, I'm somewhat disillusioned and was hoping for great things..

The supply is AC only... the diodes, capacitors, regulators, etc. are in the VDA-2 itself.
You can only get so much improvement by changing the supply (transformer). The VAC-1 uses a higher quality EI transformer with low excitation current, low output impedance, and also contains some mild filtering. This improves dynamics and detail but can only make a small improvement in overall performance.
You can also experiment with different power cords... you might want to try various shielded types.

griff2

« Reply #10 on: 1 Feb 2012, 07:57 am »
The supply is AC only... the diodes, capacitors, regulators, etc. are in the VDA-2 itself.
You can only get so much improvement by changing the supply (transformer). The VAC-1 uses a higher quality EI transformer with low excitation current, low output impedance, and also contains some mild filtering. This improves dynamics and detail but can only make a small improvement in overall performance.
You can also experiment with different power cords... you might want to try various shielded types.

I'll do some experimenting over the weekend - the first thing I'll do is make up a longer umbilical lead, so l can situate the power supply on the floor.

BTW l measured the unloaded AC output of the VAC-1 and it was ~17.2VAC the stock psu has a measured unloaded output of ~15.5VAC, is this normal?

CIAudio

« Reply #11 on: 1 Feb 2012, 01:58 pm »
BTW l measured the unloaded AC output of the VAC-1 and it was ~17.2VAC the stock psu has a measured unloaded output of ~15.5VAC, is this normal?

Yes, this is normal unloaded voltage.

griff2

« Reply #12 on: 1 Feb 2012, 06:11 pm »
How many hours do you have on the PS?  My guess is that it may take a little time to burn in.

Thanks, although I suspect there's not much latitude for burn-in with a transformer.

griff2

« Reply #13 on: 1 Feb 2012, 06:22 pm »
Yes, this is normal unloaded voltage.

Good to know.

Apart from the VAC-1 aspect, the VDA-2 seems to sound better as time goes by.  The 24/96 files through Toslink sound very good, timing and the instrumental (including vocal) tonality in particular are improving.  The P-3A still has the VDA-2 beat for 16/48 material, but that may (I hope) change in time.

griff2

« Reply #14 on: 5 Feb 2012, 10:44 pm »
..The P-3A still has the VDA-2 beat for 16/48 material..

Not any more see here for more details.