Which Grado?

charmerci

Re: Which Grado?
« Reply #20 on: 28 Jul 2014, 04:37 am »
Do you know - did they say that they were coming out with a E300i?

brooklyn

« Reply #21 on: 28 Jul 2014, 05:41 am »
Hi Lititroll, that’s a great report, thank’s for the info. I’ve been looking at the Hifiman HE400’s for a few weeks now but I’m glad I waited to buy them, I didn’t know the new models were coming out.  But..

While I was trying to decide on an amp, I got an opportunity to purchased a preowned Graham Slee Solo Mk lll headphone amp and there was also a pair of Grado 325i headphones available so I bought those to…..  They haven’t arrived yet.

This will only be the second headphone amp I ever owned, the first was the PS Audio hp amp which I pared with the AKG Q701’s but I wasn’t crazy about that combo. It almost seemed like the PS Audio didn’t have enough power to drive them, I would have to turn the volume knob to around the 3 o’clock position to get the cans to crank. The sound was to laid back for my taste.

I’m looking forward to the Grado’s and the amp, I hope they sounds good….
If it doesn’t, I will do what I've always done in a time of crisis, out with the old and in
with the new.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #22 on: 29 Jul 2014, 03:21 am »
I didn't ask about the 300s, but I'm sure they would have something on their website.  Brooklyn, let us know how you like the Grados.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #23 on: 29 Jul 2014, 12:46 pm »
I'm gonna try and grab the new 400's, from HiFiman. I had some He5-LE's and they were so awesome I sold them to stay interested in new stuff coming out....crazy huh....but I'm ready for the HifiMan sound again.......whats the timing Letitroll? Do we know when they are coming or did I just miss reading it in your post?

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #24 on: 29 Jul 2014, 02:07 pm »
I had a set of 325i's for a year or so, they were pretty good, bright and the usual "veil" you here referred to when talking about cans is not there with most grades they are in your face bright and a really distinct sound.

Lots of cans although called musical, accurate etch., seem dull compared to grades IMO.

I sold mine after discovering Beyer and liking that "sound" signature better to my tastes.

That said I really enjoyed the Grades I had... if money was no object I would still have mine!!

Alex

brooklyn

« Reply #25 on: 29 Jul 2014, 04:32 pm »
I didn't ask about the 300s, but I'm sure they would have something on their website.  Brooklyn, let us know how you like the Grados.

I will try to have a couple of pictures and some into on the Grado's soon but so far, I like what I've been hearing.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #26 on: 30 Jul 2014, 03:50 am »
I'm gonna try and grab the new 400's, from HiFiman. I had some He5-LE's and they were so awesome I sold them to stay interested in new stuff coming out....crazy huh....but I'm ready for the HifiMan sound again.......whats the timing Letitroll? Do we know when they are coming or did I just miss reading it in your post?

They said about 3 weeks.

brooklyn

« Reply #27 on: 30 Jul 2014, 09:50 pm »

I compared the Grado’s to my AKG Q701 headphones which I already owned. Both headphones sounded excellent to me but there were differences. The Grado’s I thought had a better top end and a better separation of instruments, I could hear deeper into the music. They were also a little more in your face like most headphiles have mentioned then the AKG’s, They were clean sounding but not analytical, the music had a very nice flow to it no matter what (album) I listen to.  This is my first time owning Grado’s and I do like the way they sound a lot, they also paired nicely with the Graham Slee.

The AKG’s had more of a fuller sound quality with more bass, the music sounded a little more blended and warmer then the Grado’s. Total comfort went to the AKG’s, they fit my head better then the Grado’s…. the Grado’s fit looser and if I tilted my head downward they would want to slide off from there own weight, even with my large ears to stop them. I’m not a big fan of the retro look but the fit and finish is very nice.

The GS is a remarkable little headphone amp, it was musical and clean sounding and drove both headphone with ease. It also has two analog inputs so I will be able to connect a turntable and phono preamp into it so I will be able to listen to some vinyl.

I would like to give the HiFI-Man HE400i’s a try at some point (like when I have more cash) to see what all the fuss is about although the HE400’s are a great buy right now.

I listened to music from a Mac Mini and itunes lossless files. While I have very limited experience with headphones I have to say that the Grado/Slee combo is a great sounding rig to my ears.

« Last Edit: 1 Aug 2014, 12:58 am by brooklyn »

Scott F.

« Reply #28 on: 31 Jul 2014, 01:09 am »
Hey Jerry,

Glad to read you are enjoying the rig :thumb:

brooklyn

« Reply #29 on: 31 Jul 2014, 03:58 am »
Thanks for making this great headphone rig possible, it's total musical enjoyment.  :bowdown:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 12 Aug 2014, 09:53 pm »
Hey brooklyn are the Grado's you have using a chromed over plastic ear cup?? If its metal of some sort can you tell if any wooden shell materials are used maybe to line the interior of the silver??
 Let me know you best guesstimates if you could...Thanks.

Letitroll you say they mentioned 3 weeks and thats cool, but now I'm seriously thinking about one of these choices PS500e, SR325e, Fullsize Momentums (over the ear), or a DAP, maybe the ibasso DX90 or Astell and kearn older model....depends on used prices on that.
Then I looked at MP301 Mk3's from Musical Paradise, then I started looking at speakers and went insane, actually insane(r)!!!!!lol

My last year to get Rent Rebate if I stay in this apartment......its $500 and due anyday............I'm horrible at saving and being 56 and an old dog no new tricks is me!

I might start a new thread with a survey and ask AC folks....LOL..... :? :o :lol: :roll:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #31 on: 13 Aug 2014, 12:14 am »
Sell something and get the 325i's.....had them for awhile they to me are the sweet spot here.....

Alex

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #32 on: 13 Aug 2014, 02:58 am »
If you're set on getting Grado's, I'd get a SR80e and use the $100 savings towards a cheap tube headphone amp, that way you can roll different tubes + give a bit more body to the sometimes thin sounding Grados. 

At 2014 CAF / Canmania I only listened to about 5 headphones and oddly enough I think the cheapest of the them all was what I preferred : the Sennheiser Momentum.  Very even, smooth but punchy sound, super light & comfortable, attractive (available in many color combos) and cheap : $150 MSRP.  They were sensitive enough to have plenty of volume even driven by a smart phone. 

I had a pair of SR80s and ultimately sold them because of the discomfort and somewhat thin sound.  Had to crank the volume pretty far to the end to get decent volume with a smart phone.  The "e" series may be better - don't know.  In any case I wouldn't bother buying used nor previous versions as the amount you will save is marginal. 

P.s. Ultimately the ones I preferred the best were the Mr. Speakers Mad Dog Pro's - especially at the show demo pair price (which I bought).  Even if they aren't open back and on the heavier side, they whomped the HiFi Man 400 I heard - which was too lean and hard uncomfortable padding.  Of course it's a much warmer sound, but still seemed more musical too me. 

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #33 on: 13 Aug 2014, 03:12 am »
Sell something and get the 325i's.....had them for awhile they to me are the sweet spot here.....

Alex

Well, that's sort of my point.  For the price of the 325's, why not sell two things and move up to either RS2's or PS500's?  Then for that money, I'd rather have HE400i's or Senn 600's.  It just doesn't stop with Grado, they have so many price points you can always justify moving up just one more level.  Or I could go back to the beginning and get the 80's or 125's on sale.  I missed the closeout prices on the e series, which wasn't much of a fire sale as they sold like hotcakes with only a 20% discount, I'd rather buy the new series just for resale value.  Maybe I'll hold out for the first sale on the e series, or maybe I'll grab something tomorrow, but it will be the lower price models, I'll add some big dumbo ear pads and find out if I like Grado headphones.

Jon, I pretty much agree with you, that's why I'm talking cheap, which is 80's or 125's.  There are so many positive and negative Grado testimonials that I'd want to dip my toe in.

Funny, I liked the HE 400i's marginally better than the Mr Speakers line.  Both were great sounding and personal taste would be the only deciding factor, hope you enjoy the MD's.  I think if I was saving up for something, it would be the Oppo PM2 and 2 series (can't remember the model#) head amp.  Sweetest combo I heard in my price range.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #34 on: 13 Aug 2014, 03:26 am »
Dan : Grado's are hardly ever discounted beyond 20% new.  I'd just decide which one you want for what you can afford and buy the new e series. 

If your coming over this Sunday, I can have a pair of RS2's and some SR80 (or 80i's : don't remember which) for you to listen to and you can decide if there's a big enough difference (sorry - don't have any "e" series to try). 

Too me frankly there's not enough for the huge gap in price.  Slightly better cabling, slightly better matched drivers, then either metal or wood vs plastic on the driver surrounds.......meh.......but I'm not a big "headphonista"........

Jon

brooklyn

« Reply #35 on: 13 Aug 2014, 04:22 am »
Hey brooklyn are the Grado's you have using a chromed over plastic ear cup?? If its metal of some sort can you tell if any wooden shell materials are used maybe to line the interior of the silver??
 Let me know you best guesstimates if you could...Thanks.[/quote

Hi eclein, the ear cups on the 325i’s that I have are gold tone metal ear cups,
there is no wood of any kind on this model. I read on another forum the the 325i’s
with the gold tone are an anniversary model. Most of the other ones I’ve seen are
silver.

also, after using them now after a few weeks, I have to say the sound quality
is very nice top to bottom. If I had to nitpick anything about them is that there
not as comfortable as the AKG Q701’s..

charmerci

« Reply #36 on: 13 Aug 2014, 06:44 am »
P.s. Ultimately the ones I preferred the best were the Mr. Speakers Mad Dog Pro's - especially at the show demo pair price (which I bought).  Even if they aren't open back and on the heavier side, they whomped the HiFi Man 400 I heard - which was too lean and hard uncomfortable padding.  Of course it's a much warmer sound, but still seemed more musical too me.

Glad you like them but man what a terrible name for an audiophile set of headphones. Mr. Speakers?  :scratch:

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #37 on: 13 Aug 2014, 03:33 pm »
Glad you like them but man what a terrible name for an audiophile set of headphones. Mr. Speakers?  :scratch:

They are all the rage these days - and I think with a lot of merit. 

There's some whole long story about that being the guy's handle on head-fi or something and he started modding Fostex headphones & the business arose from there.  With the exception of the new "alpha dogs" you really just have to get past the cosmetics of the headphones and enjoy them for their phenomenal sound and cost / performance ratio.  Sort of like Grados (at least the lower end ones).  It's nice also to support the "under dog" (there goes the dog reference again).

https://mrspeakers.com

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #38 on: 13 Aug 2014, 04:58 pm »
These started as SR125's and then I tweaked them some....

Here is a better look at the shell thinness and all....

Its been so long now that I can't remember the wood used, damn, its used in lutes, violins, etc...I'll remember at 4:30am.......
Grado's can be tweaked until you run out of stuff to tweak like I did.......they sound smooth as silk..... :thumb:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #39 on: 13 Aug 2014, 07:23 pm »
Ed - Maybe you are thinking of spruce wood.