Xilica?

Housteau

Xilica?
« on: 18 Jul 2014, 01:40 am »
Does anyone have any experience with Xilica processors? 

http://www.grouptechnologies.com.au/product_details/category/live/product/Xilica_XP-4080_Loudspeaker_Management_System   

The one unit looks to be very close in function the the DCX 2496, but at a higher cost and possibly better build.  This what Legacy uses for it highly reviewed Aeris.  My modded DCX is doing fine, but I like to have options just in case.  Those Behringer units do not have the best track record in longevity.

TomS

Re: Xilica?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2014, 02:26 am »
The Xilica is what Legacy uses for the Aeris speakers, among others. It sounded great when I visited there and looks very robust, much more so than the DCX's I've had. Of course, it's also much more expensive, but it has a lot more horsepower too.

Housteau

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2014, 02:52 am »
I had listened to the Aeris in Vegas 2013 and was impressed with it.  Legacy is going whole hog into making full use out of DSP for both loudspeaker and room correction.  I believe Brian was on that path being very impressed with what the DCX was able to do for his speakers.  However, he only had the time to just skim the surface with setting up crossovers and doing a correction for the midrange drivers.  If he was still with us I believe he would have a processor like the DCX preprogramed to correct phase and timing issues of the crossovers and drivers, as well as what else was needed for each speaker model, just like Legacy.

Donald

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2014, 02:10 pm »
Have one that came with my Whisper XD's. Going on 3 1/2 years old. Very reliable unit and quiet. User friendly and great product support, if ever have any questions. Never used another processor. Therefore, can't compare to other manufacturers.

Housteau

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jul 2014, 02:07 am »
The Whisper looks to be a very interesting speaker.  I have seen them at Rocky Mountain, but didn't have a chance to hear them.  How do you feel they relate to the newer Aeris?  Are they still higher in the food chain?

TomS

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jul 2014, 02:21 am »
If you really want to get to the ultimate active/dsp destination, Bill D showed his concept at AXPONA for a "combo" preamp/dsp/xo that is in development, totally separate from the effort with Xilica. There is a video of that session somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment. I attended the session and it was fascinating, far beyond what most anyone is doing in this space.

Housteau

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jul 2014, 02:45 am »
That sounds very interesting.  I have a modded DCX that is a full analog preamp now.  A lot of these type units such as the DCX and probably the Xilica work best when fed a full line level signal, as from a source component and not a preamp.  The preamp function needs to follow the DSP and when built in it can do that.

Housteau

« Reply #7 on: 31 Jan 2015, 02:27 am »
Well, my DCX decided to stop working last week, so I decided to try the Xcilia 4080.  I haven't had time to fully dial it in yet, but so far so good.