Super tower IIa/R: top passive woofer replacement

pixeltweek

Super tower IIa/R: top passive woofer replacement
« on: 30 May 2014, 09:47 pm »
A few months ago I discovered all of the 12" and 15" speakers needed to be re-foamed. I found a very good audio shop that did the repairs, remounted the speakers, and have been loving the sound. However, while searching for setup instructions, I ran across a photo of these and noticed there is a passive woofer in the top! Sure enough, it needs the same foam fix. Problem is, I can't see a straightforward way of removing it unless the top of the cabinet comes off. I've removed most of the inside screws that seem to be attaching the top but there's no indication that it will actually break free. I've also noticed what looks like a bit of wood glue here and there. My question is, has anyone else been down this road and know any tricks about how to do this without damaging the cabinet?

kckucera

• http://www.hcdsi.com
Re: Super tower IIa/R: top passive woofer replacement
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2014, 08:01 pm »
Faced the same problem several years ago.  Ended up decapitating the tops on both.   

Stimpy

« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2014, 11:33 pm »
I wonder if you could cut open a circular hole (the size of the radiator), in the very top of the cabinet, for access?  Maybe use a jigsaw or a router with a plunge bit?  From in front, you couldn't see the hole, and the face of the cabinet, and the passive radiator slot, would still look stock.  Then you could reseal the top of the cabinet, with a new board (maybe a nice hardwood panel) that could be attached to allow future removal for other maintenance, when needed.

Good luck!

pixeltweek

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2014, 12:09 am »
Not the answers I was hoping for but they are most appreciated and do set the path for the next portion of this adventure. I do prefer the creation of an access on top that can be cosmetically unobtrusive. Trick is to maintain sonic integrity though I suspect the port area is not as critical as the main cabinet. I would normally complain about the original design but as an engineer myself, I understand that one can rarely think of every possibility.

Again,
Thanks for the replies!

Stimpy

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2014, 01:15 am »
Not the answers I was hoping for but they are most appreciated and do set the path for the next portion of this adventure. I do prefer the creation of an access on top that can be cosmetically unobtrusive. Trick is to maintain sonic integrity though I suspect the port area is not as critical as the main cabinet. I would normally complain about the original design but as an engineer myself, I understand that one can rarely think of every possibility.

Again,
Thanks for the replies!

I 'thought' that I remembered reading something else about this issue!  So, here you go; from the Man himself!

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=67765.0

pixeltweek

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jun 2014, 04:17 pm »
Thanks, good article. The rectangular opening seems a lot easier to reseal than a circle. Now for the time and nerve to take the saber saw to it!