"stand alone a 370peq"

kyrill

"stand alone a 370peq"
« on: 15 Jul 2008, 10:44 am »
a very basic maybe too simple question?
I am waiting for my ordered servo woofers (4) and 2 "PEQ" amps for my OB adventure

but as I have no experience with plate amps for OB  before ( "always"saw them build in the enclosure of the woofers)
i wonder how do you place them? Do they have an enclosure of their own like "normal"amps or are they designed to be build in the speaker cabinet? As OB does not have a cabinet, do you have to build a separate enclosure ( i do not find those amps to be pretty looking like a Dodd amp for instance ;) )for the amps and put them as close as possible to the OB speaker?

Danny Richie

Re: "stand alone a 370peq"
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2008, 12:00 am »
As OB does not have a cabinet, do you have to build a separate enclosure ( i do not find those amps to be pretty looking like a Dodd amp for instance  )for the amps and put them as close as possible to the OB speaker?

In short, yes, to the question above.

Optichammer

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2008, 09:04 pm »
Are you wanting to put them "in the rack" with the other components? How about building just a 3U box with a cutout for both and some binding posts, or, my new favorite: Speakon connectors. You can also get a rack component tray or rollout from PE...

Eric

gooberdude

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jul 2008, 10:12 pm »
Building a little box for the PEQ370 plate amp is very easy.  I just made one last weekend out of 3/4" Birch plywood.

5 pieces of wood (4 sides and 1 bottom piece) plus a few wood screws, took less than an hour.

I won't be finishing the wood on mine though.  At some point I'll send the PEQ370 off to a reputable audio firm who will make a custom wooden surround for it (stained and beautiful) and also install a permanent speaker binding post.

When you unwrap the PEQ370 for the 1st time, you will notice a black and red wire coming out of it.   These 2 wires attach to your speaker cables (+ and -).      Initially, I just combine the bare copper stranded ends together and hold them tight with a plastic wire nut.  This is just temp though, until I can afford a new custom made box and binding posts.

A bit off topic, but i think its nice to have the plate amps away from the rest of the system... 

They aren't that pretty to look at and i always try and keep amps a good 3-4 feet apart from one another to avoid any intereference from tranny leakage, EMI and what not.     

This is just me talkin', but i feel plate amps sound better when a gigantic subwoofer magnet isn't a few inches away.

You will have LOADS of fun with 2 PEQ 370 amps!!

kyrill

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jul 2008, 11:30 pm »

nah not in my rack Opti

WHat Gooby is sayin put them in a nice wooden box, is more like it

15-20 inches away from my speakers

The servo cables ( thin) and the main driver cables ( thicker) can be tight together?

The amps  and drivers arrived yesterday, but i have not yet looked at the drivers to find out they have a separate connection  for the servo part

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jul 2008, 02:45 am »
Hey gooberdude, I am sure that this amp with your Augie is a great combo, but wait until you here it with the Direct Servo control system on a free air sub. It's not just good, it's REALLY good.

Optichammer

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jul 2008, 03:20 pm »
GOOBERDUDE,Great name.
Say, tell me what you have in mind for the amp enclosure, I'm always interested in a GR-Philes' vision. I see a shallow, deluxe veneered box with a solid vented spiked base and a solid, vented lid on hinges or slide out...
- Eric