The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread

studiotech

Re: The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread
« Reply #320 on: 1 Feb 2018, 12:20 am »
Thanks Hal for the info, cleared up my misunderstanding on that  :duh:  Thank you studiotech for bring it up so that could happen.  :thumb:

Glad you're straightened out there.  I was getting worried.  Just remember, audio alternates.  Up and down, like a sine wave, but more complex.

You've probably been measuring DC offset or something on the output of your amps, which is something you most certainly do not want to be there.

Greg

studiotech

« Reply #321 on: 1 Feb 2018, 12:24 am »

There are things in audio that can be heard to be different but the audible difference is not measureable.  All wires sound different....and all wires sound different depending on which direction you orient them......this cannot be measured but can be heard......same with "coil directionality".  In fact, there are way more things that cannot be measured that make a difference than those that can be measured.  However, in order to know this, you have to have an open inquisitive mind and be willing to do very tweaky controlled listening experiments (not blind A/Bs or double blind.....these tests are for those that don't believe in differences)

That's fine, but don't explain it in misleading terms.  That only adds to the voodoo of the process.  You can have you own opinions, but not your own facts.

Greg

orientalexpress

« Reply #322 on: 21 Feb 2018, 12:40 am »
Any updates? 8)

Captainhemo

« Reply #323 on: 21 Feb 2018, 03:20 am »
Patience,  they are coming      :lol:
Danny does  have a  moddded/upgdated  bafflle  now..  I'm  sure he'll be   doing some testing soon    :thumb:

jay

para7452

« Reply #324 on: 21 Feb 2018, 09:50 pm »
Pretty interested myself. Love my V1s, but would love more airy, speed, layers. I'd keep the sub cabinets intact, and would build a new upper cabinet for the B&G drivers that would sit on top. If the baffle thing works out, that is.

Oh, hi Danny. Long time. Thanks for all of the help with the construction a few years ago. Wow how time flies.

ebag4

« Reply #325 on: 22 Feb 2018, 12:08 am »
Patience,  they are coming      :lol:

Haha, patience, right Jay :lol:

Would it be possible to let us know what the outer dimensions of the baffle are?  I want to verify it won’t be too tall for my application.

Thanks,
Ed

Captainhemo

« Reply #326 on: 22 Feb 2018, 05:58 pm »
I was able to  shorten it a bit, it's right around the 30"  mark   at this  point.
Am also working on some side wings that will match up  withthe subs

jay

ebag4

« Reply #327 on: 22 Feb 2018, 06:01 pm »
I was able to  shorten it a bit, it's right around the 30"  mark   at this  point.
Am also working on some side wings that will match up  withthe subs

jay

Thanks Jay!

para7452

« Reply #328 on: 5 Apr 2018, 01:31 am »
I thought that I'd throw out a "any news on the baffle front?" follow up to keep this thing going. Plus, I'm really interested and curious...

Captainhemo

« Reply #329 on: 6 Apr 2018, 04:39 pm »
Yeah,  was supposed to get  an updated baffle  yesterday, hoping it will arrive today  so I can get it  off to danny. 

jay

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #330 on: 6 Apr 2018, 06:48 pm »
Well, I finally did it - got the Jupiter Copper caps for the 10uf and 15uf positions in my crossover.  Over $2k for the 4 caps needed, holy crap that's expensive.  Feels weird to have caps that cost more than my amp.

Oh, speaking of amps, I finally got my tube amp up and running (and quieted down) so I can use it in my system again.  VTA ST70 using the octal input boards and coupling caps upgraded to Jupiter copper caps too.  Very, very nice synergy with the Super 7s.  For my tastes, this is easily the best my system has ever sounded. 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #331 on: 6 Apr 2018, 09:49 pm »
Yep, that's serious money for caps.  I'll be interested in reading your take on them after a bit of break in. 

mikeeastman

« Reply #332 on: 7 Apr 2018, 01:06 am »
I agree with Tyson the Jupiter copper foil cap although expensive were well worth in my option.

Captainhemo

« Reply #333 on: 7 Apr 2018, 04:16 pm »
Well, I finally did it - got the Jupiter Copper caps for the 10uf and 15uf positions in my crossover.  Over $2k for the 4 caps needed, holy crap that's expensive.  Feels weird to have caps that cost more than my amp.

Oh, speaking of amps, I finally got my tube amp up and running (and quieted down) so I can use it in my system again.  VTA ST70 using the octal input boards and coupling caps upgraded to Jupiter copper caps too.  Very, very nice synergy with the Super 7s.  For my tastes, this is easily the best my system has ever sounded.

Wow  :o
Congrats  tyson,  hope   you  enjoy    !! Looking forward to hearing  impressions, especially if you  can listen  with the same gear as  what you  had  when  using the  Jupiter bypassed MR's

jay

Tyson

« Reply #334 on: 7 Apr 2018, 08:49 pm »
Caps should be here Tuesday, I'll solder them in and start the long, long, long burn in process. 

I have ClarityCap MRs bypassed with .22uf Jupiters in there right now.  So I'll be able to directly compare the 2.

Tyson

« Reply #335 on: 11 Apr 2018, 01:32 am »
Jupiter 10uf and 15uf copper/paper/wax caps came in today.  Just got them soldered in.  Listening to my first few tracks right now.  DAYUM!  These are a huge, huge, huge step up over the ClarityCap MRs (bypassed with .22 Jupiters) that I was using before. 

It's like switching from speaker wire made out of aluminum to speaker wire made out of very good copper.  Which, in a way, is exactly what I did.  At this point, as far as I can tell, there's not any aluminum foil in any cap anywhere in the signal path.  Except maybe in my Auralic Vega, but I'm fine with that, for now - hahaha!

Anyway, a bit more info on the sound change - DETAILS!  They just jump out at you.  I feel like I've never heard this level of detail before, on any system.  It's at the same level as what I normally hear from top-level headphones.  And everything sounds much BIGGER!  More life size.  Hell, maybe even larger than life (which I love).  Downsides?  They clearly need some burn in, as they are a bit rough/gritty sounding with zero burn in.  But even the grittiness isn't irritating, rather it just presents everything with a "Tom Waits" sort of vibe. 

I'll report back as things develop. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #336 on: 11 Apr 2018, 03:26 pm »
If only those caps were cheaper.

Tyson

« Reply #337 on: 11 Apr 2018, 07:07 pm »
If only those caps were cheaper.

Or smaller!  Here's some pics to give an idea of their size.

First unpacking, you can see they dwarf the Bluray case I had on hand:

Here they are compared to the ClarityCap MR that they are replacing.  The ClarityCap MR is already a very big cap.  The Jupiters are just huge:

And here's what the crossover looks like after installing them.  That's a LOT of copper in my crossover now!!!

Captainhemo

« Reply #338 on: 12 Apr 2018, 05:22 pm »
Yeah, cheaper would be cool.
At least  in a  two way network, there  isn't  a large value  high pass bundle leading into the  midrange  leg,  can't imagine the   cost  if a guy were trying to   include that   :(
Yeah, they  look huge,  I know how big the  Clarity MR's are, they (the Jupiter's)  remind me of the  Dueland PIO Coppers

jay. 

Tyson

« Reply #339 on: 12 Apr 2018, 06:14 pm »
Yeah, cheaper would be cool.
At least  in a  two way network, there  isn't  a large value  high pass bundle leading into the  midrange  leg,  can't imagine the   cost  if a guy were trying to   include that   :(
Yeah, they  look huge,  I know how big the  Clarity MR's are, they (the Jupiter's)  remind me of the  Dueland PIO Coppers

jay. 

Jupiters only go up to 15uf, so you'd have to cluster several together to get a larger value.  At $720 each, that adds up quick. 

On the other hand, Dueland CAST POI copper caps go up to 40uf, and those are $3300 each.   :wtf:

That's one thing I love about the Super 7's, active bass.  It solves a whole lot of problems all at once.  And ONE of those problems is it gets rid of the massive bass->mid cap completely.  Much better sound, and way cheaper, especially when dealing with premium quality cap prices.