pink floyd "FOCUS " box set 4 LPS plus BOOK ANYONE INTERESTED?

jazzcourier

Here is a FANTASTIC high priced collectable from Pink Floyd......."FOCUS" is a 4 lp set with a book.condition is great,a little wear on the box.This came out of a large collection I purchased from a gentleman who had a nice VPI tt and cleaner,most of the records looked like they were played once.This record sells all day with multiple bidders for 300.00 on Ebay,i had it priced at a recent record show for 200.00 but nobody had the bread,but they had lots of drool.I thought I would offer it to anyone here for the same price...200.00 plus paypal and shipping and insurance.
    Do a little homework online on Ebay and popsike and see the investment quality in a hard to find item like this.I could sell it on Ebay,but I would have to shoot myself.

Mike Nomad

Sorry to be Lead Man In The Bummer Tent...

/ I don't think we are supposed to be selling bootlegs on AC

(and)

/ It can be downloaded for free (as in beer) from a number of places on the InterWebs.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Mike, unless I'm missing something, it's real hard to download to lp.

jazzcourier

This is offered for sale strictly as a "collectable",i really do not deal with a lot of Rock stuff,and silly me,this looks like such a professional package it never occurred to me it was a"bootleg".A quick glance at the PF discography and I see "unauthorized" recordings by the dozens,and now these are called "bootlegs" and as the years go on they will become "historical recordings" such as in the case with many Jazz recordings of live performances of say,John Coltrane or Charlie Parker.Whether or not These Floyd guys are silly rich and brush their teeth with gold flecked toothpaste or never wear the same pair of underwear twice,they should,as artists, be compensated for any moola made from their name.With the renewed, and ever present continuing interest in the medium of vinyl some may want to comfort themselves with the actual item,such as holding and actually reading a book as opposed to the faceless "nook",playing a record as opposed to cruising the clouds of info storage.It is a matter of personal choice and preference.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
 :scratch:

Mike Nomad

Bob, you would be correct, sir. I'm simply talking about getting the show in question (16 Sept. 1970, Paris Theatre, London)

Regardless of the format, it's still a bootleg. While I don't have a problem with bootlegs, I believe that trafficking in them on AC is a no-no. If I have that wrong, I do indeed apologize for butting in.

Mike, unless I'm missing something, it's real hard to download to lp.

Mike Nomad

There are _a lot_ of professional looking (and sounding) bootleg recordings in the Rock 'n' Roll Universe: I've watched Record Police blow right past foot-thick stacks of bootleg Zep & Dylan in the bins, and go after a Lou Reed recording on Pair (dodgy looking, but, a legitimate release). Funny watching a clerk school them with a Phonalog (sp?).

They've always been called bootlegs. And Unauthorized Recordings. And Historic Recordings. And Collectables. And a few other things (but, they've never been called late for dinner). Some of them even appropriate.

Since we are talking about the Floyd, you also have another term that shows up quite frequently: ROIO (Recording of Indeterminate Origin). These are a subset of bootlegs, where the person who actually made the recording is unknown.

None of this is to be confused with pirate recordings, unless you are the RIAA. In which case, the two are conflated for political convenience.

This is offered for sale strictly as a "collectable",i really do not deal with a lot of Rock stuff,and silly me,this looks like such a professional package it never occurred to me it was a"bootleg".A quick glance at the PF discography and I see "unauthorized" recordings by the dozens,and now these are called "bootlegs" and as the years go on they will become "historical recordings" such as in the case with many Jazz recordings of live performances of say,John Coltrane or Charlie Parker.Whether or not These Floyd guys are silly rich and brush their teeth with gold flecked toothpaste or never wear the same pair of underwear twice,they should,as artists, be compensated for any moola made from their name.With the renewed, and ever present continuing interest in the medium of vinyl some may want to comfort themselves with the actual item,such as holding and actually reading a book as opposed to the faceless "nook",playing a record as opposed to cruising the clouds of info storage.It is a matter of personal choice and preference.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
Interesting. I've never heard of a pirate record. News to me. Thanks Mike!

Mike Nomad

To be clear, there is a difference between bootlegs and pirates (aka counterfeits):

Counterfeits are designed to mimic an official release. They are an attempt at an exact copy, with the intention of having the purchaser think they are getting the real deal.

Bootlegs do not attempt to mimic official releases. They may be done up to look "legit," in so far that they don't look amateurish, stand a better chance of not getting picked off in the bins (my story mentioned earlier), and serve as something of a "Trademark Of Quality" (as an aside, the name of one of the more prolific bootleg labels from the days of old...).

With the advent of affordable digital recording, pirating of official releases (counterfeits) and bootlegs (yes, there is a well established... track record of bootlegs being pirated) is a lot more common than in the LP era.

About 95% of the product they seize are actually bootlegs. About 95% of the economic damages claimed by the RIAA are actually from counterfeits. That dichotomy represents a problem for the RIAA, which is why they conflate the two. Otherwise, they would be shown for the tool bags they are.

The only reason bootleggers still have traction today is because the people running the major labels are both lazy and stupid. They've had opportunities to fix the problem as far back as the 1980s. Piracy is straight up theft, and that's always going to be a problem.

Interesting. I've never heard of a pirate record. News to me. Thanks Mike!

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
Dang, that was some good information  :o

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
Re: pink floyd "FOCUS " box set 4 LPS plus BOOK ANYONE INTERESTED?
« Reply #10 on: 17 Sep 2014, 03:51 pm »
Thanks for the clarification Mike.
I'll have to admit, I was pretty heavy on it back in the Napster and Limewire days. But digital is a "click" and you're done. Ripping off an LP and pressing more is more of a process than I would have thought would be worth it. I'd just never heard of "non-legit" records.
Thanks again!
Bob