BRYSTON CD PLAYER SURVEY

rmurray

Re: BRYSTON CD PLAYER SURVEY
« Reply #260 on: 12 Sep 2014, 01:21 pm »
 It seems what you are aiming at is a "universal player". Many high  end names offered these in the past but none seem to ever do full justice to redbook material. I think is will always be a thing of "jack of all trade but master of none" deal if too many formats are attempted . Having usb connections is a good idea(IMO) but other than that if it's to be a new cd player then let it be purely that. Otherwise ,I am happy with the BCD-1 as a truly great player.:thumb:

ezgoin51

« Reply #261 on: 12 Sep 2014, 02:23 pm »
For me, the only reason I would consider buying a separate optical transport would be if it played SACD discs.  With a computer for CD ripping and a BDP-2/BDA-2 for playback, I'm fully satisfied with my system's Redbook and digital download playing capability.  However, I have no way to get equivalent quality playback from the SACD discs I own (and might like to acquire) without using a separate "Universal" player.  I do currently have an older Denon model, but its analog output quality pales by comparison to the BDP/BDA combo, even with SACDs.
-Eric

Phil A

« Reply #262 on: 12 Sep 2014, 04:15 pm »
For me, the only reason I would consider buying a separate optical transport would be if it played SACD discs.  With a computer for CD ripping and a BDP-2/BDA-2 for playback, I'm fully satisfied with my system's Redbook and digital download playing capability.  However, I have no way to get equivalent quality playback from the SACD discs I own (and might like to acquire) without using a separate "Universal" player.  I do currently have an older Denon model, but its analog output quality pales by comparison to the BDP/BDA combo, even with SACDs.
-Eric

One can always burn DSD files (or have someone do it for you) and convert them or get an Oppo player and an HDMI audio de-embedder (e.g. http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2) and playback 24/88.2 PCM via a BDA.  I did this with my BDA-1 when I had it for a bit.  Still sounds quite good.  I have too much DSD (and still buy SACDs) and burn the disc image to create the file to playback.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #263 on: 14 Sep 2014, 01:20 am »
James,

i'd say that a cd player is 'better' than a transport. some would want the Bryston sound through the analog outs. if this new player has digital outs then the customer can compare the sound with an external dac and make a final decision.

al.
   Yes , that sounds like a great idea. :thumb:

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #264 on: 14 Sep 2014, 10:38 am »
Phil,

i tried a Yamaha 1020 and a Ligawo hdmi de-embedder together with a Denon DA300 dac. the pcm signal from the sacd was 176.4 khz. :thumb:
not sure if it was a 24 bit signal as well because the dac didn't show it...

does the Oppo put out also 176.4 khz or is the 88.2 signal some kind of limitation??

al.

Phil A

« Reply #265 on: 14 Sep 2014, 02:57 pm »
Phil,

i tried a Yamaha 1020 and a Ligawo hdmi de-embedder together with a Denon DA300 dac. the pcm signal from the sacd was 176.4 khz. :thumb:
not sure if it was a 24 bit signal as well because the dac didn't show it...

does the Oppo put out also 176.4 khz or is the 88.2 signal some kind of limitation??

al.

Al, John Gatski of Everything Audio Network has done more extensive testing of players and de-embedders.  Here's one review -  http://everythingaudionetwork.blogspot.com/2013/04/audiophile-review-hdmi-de-embedder.html   I moved from the DC area and I talked to John at length a few times and actually dragged a player over to his house once (an Integra I bought after I went to the Capital Audiofest a few years back that they were closing out and got some info from the Integra rep and then looked at the manual which also just said 176.4).  John owns an ATI sample rate converter/A-D converter that reads bit depth and was instrumental in getting Benchmark to add a bit depth display to their last DAC.

I mainly used the de-embedder with my BDA-1 DAC and then just a few weeks when I got my Meitner DAC while I was getting the music digitized.  I can't say that John has tested every single player but he has indicated that only the Oppo players do 24 bits (although of the ones that do 176.4, my Integra, DPS6.9, which I don't used at the moment sounded best but it just did 16 bits).  The Oppo players do 24/88.2 (and in many cases I preferred the BDA-1 upsampling to 176.4 as many of the SACDs were really good recordings).  I actually preferred going through the de-mbedder to the BDA-1 vs. listening to SACDs via the analog outs of my modded BDP-83.  The highs were a drop better playing the SACD but I preferred the imaging and overall presentation of converting to PCM and going through the BDA-1.  However, once I got things digitized with the Meitner DAC, I prefer to listen to DSD files.  Unfortunately, as consumers, we don't have the power to compel studios to release things which would sound best in a particular format.  DSD may be wonderful for old analog recordings (or something recorded in DSD) but it something was originally recorded in 24/96, it would be nice if it did not go through the conversion process.

So I'd guess you are getting 16/176.4.  My BDP-83 also will do full resolution from DVD-As via the coax digital out (the above review from the Everything Audio Network talks about that and I believe the new Oppo players no longer do that - kind of like my old Samsung HD1000 DVD-V/DVD-A player where they managed to get a couple of hundred of the pre-HDMI units into the USA that upconverted DVDs via the analog component outs before they got the studios on their case).  For someone who prefers physical media (nothing wrong with that) or does not have many SACDs and owns a good DAC, I'd highly recommend the route of the de-embedder.  I also used an upgraded power supply (for the Monoprice unit, their product ID 5557, anything that works for a Logitech Squeezebox Touch is fine).  The new Oppo players (even the 103) can play also kinds of high resolution files, included DSD and DSD multi-channel via a hard drive.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #266 on: 14 Sep 2014, 09:32 pm »
thanks for the input, Phil :thumb:

btw, the de-embedder shown in Gatski's review (KanexPro Haexcoax) looks exactly like the unit that i have at home (Ligawo). these units seem to have different brandnames depending on where they are sold, i guess :roll:
however, i like the Ligawo a lot as it is a nice piece of hifi equipment :thumb:

al.

Phil A

« Reply #267 on: 14 Sep 2014, 10:53 pm »
thanks for the input, Phil :thumb:

btw, the de-embedder shown in Gatski's review (KanexPro Haexcoax) looks exactly like the unit that i have at home (Ligawo). these units seem to have different brandnames depending on where they are sold, i guess :roll:
however, i like the Ligawo a lot as it is a nice piece of hifi equipment :thumb:

al.

Al, a look at the unit (KanexPro) shows it has a 5V DC input so you may be able to use an upgraded power supply made for a Squeezebox Touch if you ever want to experiment.

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #268 on: 16 Sep 2014, 05:55 pm »
Perusing the techie issues on this thread and the BDP thread seems to me to help make a case for a standalone Bryston CD player. No firmware, interface, network, or ancillary gear issues. Just pop in the disc and play. Whew.

I very much enjoy my BDP-2/BDA-2 combo, but it's a different level of product than a CD player, which is much more family-friendly.

Cheerio,

Rich

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

Phil A

« Reply #269 on: 16 Sep 2014, 08:03 pm »
Perusing the techie issues on this thread and the BDP thread seems to me to help make a case for a standalone Bryston CD player. No firmware, interface, network, or ancillary gear issues. Just pop in the disc and play. Whew.

I very much enjoy my BDP-2/BDA-2 combo, but it's a different level of product than a CD player, which is much more family-friendly.

Cheerio,

Rich

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

Rich, even my old BCD-1 had firmware (and I remember do one upgrade on it when I had it).  I agree that you don't want to turn it into a jack of all trades (for people who just want to plop in a disc and play) but if it adds little or nothing to the cost a digital input might be nice to give it a little broader appeal (to more audiophiles) without turning into an all in one thing requirement for more R&D and parts it might be a good thing.  The wider appeal it may have from something that costs little (and does change it from a CD player) can't hurt sales.  A USB input could require more stuff to put in and of course that's up to Bryston and what they feel is best.  A coax and optical digital input may be of value to some in taking PCM from a TV broadcast or Internet Radio (or high quality FM) tuner and make it able to obtain high quality sound and benefit from the DACs already in the player as an example.  The broader appeal without adding much cost or turning into much more than a CD player may help Bryston make the decision to manufacture the product.

brucek

« Reply #270 on: 16 Sep 2014, 08:49 pm »
I agree that you don't want to turn it into a jack of all trades (for people who just want to plop in a disc and play) but if it adds little or nothing to the cost a digital input might be nice to give it a little broader appeal ...............

I think it would require a lot of extra marketing. It would basically be a DAC that already had a CD player feeding one of its inputs.

Most who are looking for a standalone CD player may not require the extra cost of the digital inputs - coax, optical, USB, etc., (and I don't feel it would be as inexpensive as you may think).

I see the standard customer response as being, "Dude, what's all this extra crap, I just want a CD player - I already have a DAC". :)

brucek

spinner

« Reply #271 on: 17 Sep 2014, 12:06 am »
I think it would require a lot of extra marketing. It would basically be a DAC that already had a CD player feeding one of its inputs.

Most who are looking for a standalone CD player may not require the extra cost of the digital inputs - coax, optical, USB, etc., (and I don't feel it would be as inexpensive as you may think).

I see the standard customer response as being, "Dude, what's all this extra crap, I just want a CD player - I already have a DAC". :)

brucek    Right on. :thumb:

mkaiser

« Reply #272 on: 19 Sep 2014, 10:31 pm »
Hi James,
If my memory seves me correctly, I remember you posting here at one time that Bryston was thinking of making a more superior CDP than the BCD1 with a top load. I would revisit that player that you had in mind  - minus the top loading feature.

Mark

redbook

« Reply #273 on: 21 Sep 2014, 04:50 pm »
Hi James,
If my memory seves me correctly, I remember you posting here at one time that Bryston was thinking of making a more superior CDP than the BCD1 with a top load. I would revisit that player that you had in mind  - minus the top loading feature.

Mark
                Yes, hope we see the front load but with a smoother drawer. :thumb:

1ZIP

« Reply #274 on: 21 Sep 2014, 05:38 pm »
Definitely not a top load.  But other than that I don't care if the drawer has a hand crank......just get us a new CD player.

Samurai7595

« Reply #275 on: 21 Sep 2014, 06:16 pm »
Definitely not a top load.

Agreed, since a top-load will limit placement of the unit in an audio rack.

redbook

« Reply #276 on: 21 Sep 2014, 11:17 pm »
  There's always the option of a manual swing out tray like Naim's :idea:

spinner

« Reply #277 on: 21 Sep 2014, 11:20 pm »
Definitely not a top load.  But other than that I don't care if the drawer has a hand crank......just get us a new CD player.
   A hand crank is ok but has to be on the side, not the top :lol: :thumb:

rpmartins

« Reply #278 on: 26 Sep 2014, 11:26 pm »
My CD player is about to become my ex-CD player.
So the question is:
 When could I buy a brand  new CD player from Bryston?

1ZIP

« Reply #279 on: 27 Sep 2014, 02:33 pm »
I think James once indicated a new BCD might be available around Christmas.  A guess would be, a prototype for 2015 CES and consumer delivery in the Spring.  But Bryston may be further along than we think.