Super 3-1.5 High Output on the truck

OzarkTom

Re: Super 3-1.5 High Output on the truck
« Reply #40 on: 4 Feb 2017, 10:29 pm »
Also, do you have 100 hours of burn in on the Microzotl? That is a must.

sabocat

« Reply #41 on: 4 Feb 2017, 10:43 pm »
No the MZ2 does not have sufficient burn-in time logged, nor does my Vista pre.

I'm playing it now as a preamp. Sounds quite good, maybe a bit more bass, but does not beat the CJ enough to qualify selling the latter.

doggie

« Reply #42 on: 5 Feb 2017, 01:27 am »
I bought a MicroZOTL 2 and a Z10 to use with my Omega Super Alnico High Outputs and the results are wonderful. I highly recommend trying some NOS tubes once you have the preamp broken in. They make a huge difference. The Linear Tube Audio equipment is so transparent with David Berning's OTL circuit that you can really dial it in with different tubes...
« Last Edit: 7 Feb 2017, 03:22 am by doggie »

sabocat

« Reply #43 on: 5 Feb 2017, 09:35 am »
I bought a MicroZOTL 2 amd a Z10 to use with my Omega Super Alnico High Outputs and the results are wonderful. I highly recommend trying some NOS tubes once you have the preamp broken in. They make a huge difference. The Linear Tube Audio equipment is so transparent with David Berning's OTL circuit that you can really dial it in with different tubes...

Glad you chipped in. After a few hours of play time I rolled in a few 6SN7 gtb sylvanias. I tried a few mullard 12AT7's, but did not like them at all. I like the stock tung sols better.

sabocat

« Reply #44 on: 6 Feb 2017, 09:25 pm »
Had some feedback issues with the MZ2 so I put it back in the main system and got the CJ going again. I'm just amazed how fast these speakers are. Getting more slam and deeper bass, although upper and mid-bass of course are prominent. The CJ and Omega speakers are a really good match. The sweet 6V6 tubes of the console amp don't hurt. I should also say that the Neko Audio D100 MK2 DAC matches well with the Omegas. It's a bit on the dark side, but semi-sweet like dark chocolate. It adds a bit of a bass kick lacking from the Thorens.

sabocat

« Reply #45 on: 7 Feb 2017, 12:57 am »
I ran the MZ2 in the main system for 3 hours or so this afternoon with no feedback issue, so I decided to try it again in the bedroom with the omegas except this time isolating the power supply from all other cords. Feedback issue resolved. I'm pretty sure the unit came with NOS tungsols, not new production, because they sound very very good. The MZ2 has more extended highs and deeper bass than the CJ. It really shows how good these speakers can sound. Now i can break in both at the same time.

doggie

« Reply #46 on: 7 Feb 2017, 03:33 am »
I ran the MZ2 in the main system for 3 hours or so this afternoon with no feedback issue, so I decided to try it again in the bedroom with the omegas except this time isolating the power supply from all other cords. Feedback issue resolved. I'm pretty sure the unit came with NOS tungsols, not new production, because they sound very very good. The MZ2 has more extended highs and deeper bass than the CJ. It really shows how good these speakers can sound. Now i can break in both at the same time.

My MZ2 came with NOS Sylvania 12AT7's and my own NOS RCA 12SN7's. I replaced the 12AT7's with Amperex 7062's and put in some Kenrad VT-231's. BIG difference. The Kenrad tubes give my Super Alnico High Output floor-standers great, tight bass. Got some Tungsol roundplate 12SN7's to try next.

The LTA ZOTL 10 amp in my system uses push pull OTL EL84's. These really make the Omegas sing.

Sorry to make this a tube rolling thread but the LTA gear works great with my Omegas. Just spreading the word.

sabocat

« Reply #47 on: 7 Feb 2017, 10:11 am »
Actually I was hoping you would. Now if you could assist me with some good sources for a pair of those Kentucky radio tubes that would be great.

doggie

« Reply #48 on: 7 Feb 2017, 12:45 pm »
Actually I was hoping you would. Now if you could assist me with some good sources for a pair of those Kentucky radio tubes that would be great.

They are not cheap in the 6v version. The going price is about $200 a matched pair unless you get lucky. Since the Berning circuit runs them very conservatively they could last for years and still might be a good investment considering their sonic qualities. I have had good luck purchasing tubes from Brent Jesse. You might find cheaper but you will be sure to get well matched and properly identified tubes. Another possibility is to place a WTB ad either here or a place like Head-Fi to see if someone has some "spares". And finally the clear glass 12v version is supposed to sound the same and be cheaper ...if you can find some.

sabocat

« Reply #49 on: 7 Feb 2017, 11:08 pm »
Yeah I'll just stick to early 50's sylvanias. Got a few GE GTA's that sound very good also.

sabocat

« Reply #50 on: 8 Feb 2017, 11:58 am »
Now that the MZ2 has burned in for a bit longer, I'm trying the Mullards again, along with my Sylvania 6SN7 gtb's. So far so good with the headphones. Now listening at fairly low volume with the omegas. Very smooth presentation. Coltrane still has that piercing quality in the upper register but it stays within comfortable boundaries. The piano sounds very fine. I'm waiting on a pair of GE 6201's. In the meantime I will give the mullards some time to settle in. So far I like them better than I did previously.  I should say I think the reason is the paper tweeters on my Dalis like a brighter tube, such as the Tungsol, while the Omegas seem to like the Mullards. Again, the Mullards are very authoritative and extended in the upper register without sounding harsh, and they sound more fleshed-out in the midrange. Bass is taut and deep.

Dexter Gordon "Tangerine" is just superb all around. Plenty of air with Louis Hayes' subtle cymbal work, Clarke's bass is deeper still than Paul Chambers on the Coltrane LP, and the horns float in the air. Prestige label jazz hardly ever disappoints.

p.s. Subwoofers, who needs 'em...
« Last Edit: 8 Feb 2017, 02:47 pm by sabocat »

sabocat

« Reply #51 on: 10 Feb 2017, 02:30 am »
The NOS GE 6201's arrived from Canada today, so I installed them straight away. Could not resist, which is a good thing because these little guys sound the best yet. Smooth and fairly neutral but more extension all round. More dynamic, bigger soundstage. It just keeps going from better to better still...

Switching out the sylvanias for my pair of GE 6SN7 GTA's. Trying an all GE lineup. Very neutral presentation. Bass is supple, taut, well-defined, but not as deep as with the Sylvania 6SN7 GTB's. Very detailed and delineated soundstage, accentuating the 3D imaging of the JWN amp. Good slam and snap on the drums. Listened to a few cuts from JJ Cale's Shades, the last 2 tracks on the record in particular. Bass was just right and hearing more details from the various instruments, including guitar play and piano. Vocals sound excellent. Good combo. I would be interested in pairing the Mullard 12AT7's with the GE 6SN7. Might get a little  more bass. On the other hand, now that the system has warmed up, the bass on Dexter Gordon's Tangerine is equal to the Sylvanias.
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2017, 01:25 am by sabocat »

danabunner

« Reply #52 on: 14 Feb 2017, 02:03 am »
In my Dennis Had Inspire SE amp, I've tried 10 different 6SN7 tubes and the best have been Westinghouse (not Sylvanias).  More open and natural, just by a tad but noticeable.  This had held true whether I'm running 6V6, KT77, or KT88 power tubes. 
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2017, 05:27 pm by danabunner »

roscoe65

« Reply #53 on: 14 Feb 2017, 02:16 am »
In my Dennis Had Inspire SE amp, I've tried 10 different 6SN7 tubes and the best have been the Sylvanias.  More open and natural, just by a tad but noticeable.  This had held true whether I'm running 6V6, KT77, or KT88 power tubes.

Which Syvlania's did you use?  I like the Melz 1578 five hole plates in my PSE. 

danabunner

« Reply #54 on: 14 Feb 2017, 05:27 pm »
Oops, brain burp.  I like the old yellow-labeled Westinghouse 6SN7s the best.  Will have to go back and edit.   I have a couple of different Sylvania, some chrome domes and bottom getters.  These are good, but the Westinghouse were better.   And in my gear, out of the 10-12 or so different types of 6SN7, my least favorite are the new Tungsols.  I wanted to like them, but the soundstage was compressed through them.

sabocat

« Reply #55 on: 15 Feb 2017, 12:15 am »
Last night I switched out the GE 6SN7GTA's for the Sylvania GTB's. Not really sure which ones I like best. Hard to go wrong with either. Thanks for the westinghouse tip, btw. I'm waiting for a pair of sylvania 6201's also. Got those for cheap.  Had to get some new rectifier tubes as well. Most of mine are now testing weak. Actually I discovered a discrepancy in the shunt values listed for the 5U4GB rectifier. The scroll on the eico has 2 tests--one at 28, then at 25, while an updated print copy says 31. I went with the 31 and 3 of my 5U4 now test good. Very strange.

Listening to Horace Silver, and then Kenny Drew on solo piano, I have to say the Omegas continue to impress.
« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2017, 07:38 am by sabocat »

danabunner

« Reply #56 on: 15 Feb 2017, 03:42 pm »
Those console amps can be real sleepers, especially those from Pilot and surprisingly Magnavox.  You used to be able to get the Magnavox amps for almost nothing but work got out.  IIRC when Dennis Had started his "retirement" business he started modding Magnavox SE EL84 amps and reselling them.  THat sort of evolved into his current SE amps.  You can still get them pretty cheap (less than $300 restored or unrestored) but some people are trying to sell them for over $1,000.

Along the way he built his own version of those Magnavox amps.  I've seen those selling used in the $500-$600 range.   Nice way to get a modern version of a classic Maggie, with a few upgrades. 

Magnavox put out some nice amps in those consoles.  Some even run two 6V6 tubes per channel and produce about 10 wpc.   Several very good restoration articles around the web.

danabunner

« Reply #57 on: 15 Feb 2017, 03:45 pm »
Keep sharing your impressions of the HO 3 1.5 monitors.   This speaker intrigues me.  Hopefully more owners will chime in.

sabocat

« Reply #58 on: 15 Feb 2017, 08:43 pm »
Along the way he built his own version of those Magnavox amps.  I've seen those selling used in the $500-$600 range.   Nice way to get a modern version of a classic Maggie, with a few upgrades. 

Magnavox put out some nice amps in those consoles.  Some even run two 6V6 tubes per channel and produce about 10 wpc.   Several very good restoration articles around the web.

Mine has 2 6V6 per channel. I think jim said it was putting out about 18 wpc when he was done with it, but don't quote me on that. It's probably more like 12.

sabocat

« Reply #59 on: 16 Feb 2017, 09:54 am »
Been doing a bit more tube rolling with the Microzotl2,, as I got a good deal on a few 6201's. For the Omegas, the best tube combos in my system thus far are the Sylvania 6SN7 GTB with orange label Amperex 6201, probably a rebranded GE. The green label Sylvania 6201 sounded a bit thin with the Omegas. The Mullard 12AT7 sounds very good with the GE 6SN7 GTA, as does the Jan GE 6201.