Need some equipment for an audiophiles daughter - GAS guys!!

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Hello fellow gassers.  :thumb:

Wayne from BOLDER CABLES wrote me a note asking for some assistance in the hope that my fellow St. Louisains could lend a helping hand.
Seems his daughter is all by herself here in the Soulard neighborhood and is lacking audio equipment.

She is now out of college and has moved into her own VERY small apartment. She is looking for a small pair of bookshelf, monitor, or small footprint floor-stand speakers. She also will need a physically small integrated amp or receiver with a phono section. She also would like an inexpensive turn table.

The key here is size. The apartment is SMALL, so she's not looking for a pair of monoblocks on maple pedestals feeding a pair of 'Stats.
So if any of the GAS members maybe have some smaller items that needs a good home, this is the place, and this is the time.

By the way....No problem paying for anything. She isn't looking for handouts.

As far as video goes, she's got a 19" flat screen TV with built in DVD that she used at Mizzou. Dad (Wayne) also sent along a Roku 2. She has no cable TV, just internet. I am sure she would appreciate a bigger screen if something were available for not too much money.

Wayne does have some "stuff" squirreled away from the audio bizz. If anyone is interested in trade, he might be able to accommodate them. Lots of components like RIken resistors, Jensen capacitors, Bybees etc

I've been the "long distance liaison" between Wayne and his daughter for a few years now. A task I perform with pleasure, and Wayne and his daughter are both very good people.
More than likely, I'll set the equipment up and get her up and running.

So...if any of you fellas have something that sounds like it would work well in the SMALL room of an audiophiles daughters apartment, let me know.

Thanks fellas!
Bob

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Re: Need some equipment for an audiophiles daughter - GAS guys!!
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2015, 06:38 pm »
I have a pair of late-model AR speakers, about 12" high.  Maybe ads200s as well.

kentj1948

« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2015, 07:14 pm »
She can have the pair of the Pioneer SP-BS21-LR speakers that I have sitting around.  They are definitely small but have a very good reputation for sound.  I don't have any stands.  I can provide some Monster XP speaker wire with them.  Kent   

mjmsound

« Reply #3 on: 13 Oct 2015, 08:21 pm »
I have a Scott 350R receiver. 40 wpc

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 13 Oct 2015, 08:40 pm »
One of the best systems I heard at Axpona this year was Napa Acoustics.  It was a tiny tube pre/solid state power integrated with tiny 2-way speakers.  25 wpc that managed to fill a good sized room in the basement and did nothing wrong for $600.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 15 Oct 2015, 02:15 pm »
I've got a record cleaning machine, chemicals and brushes to donate to Waynes daughter.

Bob

Scott F.

« Reply #6 on: 16 Oct 2015, 12:52 am »
Just got back in town and saw this thread.

That Scott and the Pioneers will make a sweet little system. I've got a Miida (Denon) turntable she can have. It could use a cartridge but she could pick up a Ortophon Red for $100. Those sound just fine, especially for the money. Oh, the Miida is 'well used' but it works just fine. If memory serves, I put a new belt on it too. 

I'll even toss in some vinyl :thumb: Lord knows I could stand to cull my collection  :duh: just lemme know what kind of music she's into and I'll pull a nice pile out for her.

Oh, and say "Hey" to Wayne for me. It's been a while!

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 16 Oct 2015, 02:09 am »
Thanks Scott!  :thumb:
I'll give them a heads-up on the TT, that would be a great addition.

The generosity of GAS is much appreciated. Y'all make me proud!  :D

Blackmore

« Reply #8 on: 16 Oct 2015, 02:10 am »
Since I gave you the record cleaning supplies, can I at least get an assist????   :lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 16 Oct 2015, 03:07 am »
Since I gave you the record cleaning supplies, can I at least get an assist????   :lol:
Oh yea Mark....You get 99.9% credit for the RCM equipment!
Since I never was successful getting vinyl spinning in my room, I gave up. :thumb:

vintage9594

« Reply #10 on: 16 Oct 2015, 03:18 am »
I can contribute a pair of BPT speaker cables just let me know where to drop them...Kent i think your donating something so I could drop them by with you and you can include them with the pioneer speakers. I also have a Oppo DVD player she can have as its a universal so she can spin SACD and DVD audio as well.
Don V

vintage9594

« Reply #11 on: 16 Oct 2015, 03:21 am »
I also have a Rega Turntable wall mount if you think she could use it....someone(Scott) maybe could cut a nice shelf to go on top of the wall mount so any table could work on it.
Don V

Scott F.

« Reply #12 on: 16 Oct 2015, 03:31 am »
I also have a Rega Turntable wall mount if you think she could use it....someone(Scott) maybe could cut a nice shelf to go on top of the wall mount so any table could work on it.
Don V

Consider it done if she wants to use the wall mount.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 20 Oct 2015, 08:03 pm »
OK fellas, wonderful job on the equipment. Wayne and daughter have made their choices. It's up to me to gather the equipment from Mike, Scott and Kent (sorry Bob, we still love ya. ;) )

If anybody has a USB DAC she can hook up her Macbook, and a (small) rack, that would be a nice addition.
If nothing shows up for a rack, I might make her a "Flexy rack".
Wayne said he is willing to perform mods to audio equipment for GAS guys in return for equipment, so keep that in mind.

Thanks guys!
Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 20 Oct 2015, 08:31 pm »
Ok....The next day I have available to pick up, drop off, and hook up equipment will be Friday the 30th.
If I can't get the equipment from the folks by then, I'd like to pick it up on that day.

I've got Pacific, Creve Coeur, Maplewood, and Soulard on my "route". Quite trek around the city.  :lol:

Everybody good with that?

Scott F.

« Reply #15 on: 20 Oct 2015, 09:35 pm »
Friday might be tough for me since I'm working but I can drop it off one morning on the way in. One less stop for you.

Also, if Wayne or his daughter picks up a new cartridge, I'd be happy to mount it and get it balanced and aligned. That way it's plug and play for her.

lemmeno :thumb:

mjmsound

« Reply #16 on: 20 Oct 2015, 09:46 pm »
I should be good for Friday.

daves

« Reply #17 on: 20 Oct 2015, 11:13 pm »
Bob, when you get down to her place, let her know she is cordially invited to our tube amps party on the 7th or 8th. She can bring a friend if she is inclined to associate with us heathens, as well.  :wink:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 21 Oct 2015, 12:18 pm »
Thanks guys. Sorry if it sounded like I was whining about the driving. I got a couple messages about that last night, and after re-reading my post, it does sound like I was complaining.
My bad.  :oops: :duh:

Kent, thanks for dropping the speakers at Mikes.
Mike, sounds good. I'll see you on the 30th. PM/email me your address please.
Scott, that would be great. I get in about 7:00am. Wayne said he is interested in getting a new cart and asked if you would get one and set it up. He thought he could get an Ortofon Red from Needle Doctor and ship it to you.

Again, thanks guys!
Bob

Scott F.

« Reply #19 on: 21 Oct 2015, 01:38 pm »

Scott, that would be great. I get in about 7:00am. Wayne said he is interested in getting a new cart and asked if you would get one and set it up. He thought he could get an Ortofon Red from Needle Doctor and ship it to you.

That works perfect! Does he still have my address? Probably does since I've got like three modded SBs that I still use :lol:

Tell him, he owes me a beer from his brewery next I'm I'm out there, which may not be that long from now.