Last night at The Sound Room Grand Opening

daves

Last night at The Sound Room Grand Opening
« on: 24 Feb 2017, 01:39 pm »
The Sound Room has officially moved to their new store down in the Gumbo Flats area of Chesterfield, at the Boones Crossing exit off Highway 40. Gordon, Richard and his sister Susan, Kent, Liam and I were some of the GAS members who made it out to see their new store, and see some of the gear and the manufacturer's reps that were on location.

Dave, Andy, and Tony were quite the gracious hosts, and were beaming at the prospects of so many folks attending their official opening/open house. These events are always a crowd, and with the new store and plenty of advertising on KMOX, over 400 people were at the store when Liam and I arrived at 6pm. All the little beefs about the old store being slightly cramped for an open house were multiplied five times over at last night's event, BUT
these events are not made for serious listening. They get the folks in en masse, and you get to see some of the new stuff on hand. It always is difficult to impossible to do critical listening, and the reps and workers tend to err with the volume to the high side, so these just are givens at a large event.

The food was great, as it was all devoured by the time we got there. :-( Liam and I skipped dinner to make it out there fast, so it was a little disappointing, but nothing that Chick-Fil-E  could not solve.

Kent rubbed his rabbit's foot in his pocket during the first door prize drawing, stated he felt lucky...and then walked away with a set of B&W headphones. Liam was sad the luck didn't rub off on him! Here is the happy photo

And the sad photo, where Liam's "sad" isn't fooling anyone.

It was nice to see everyone who attended, who are interested in audio. The new store is quite the flagship.

Blackmore

Re: Last night at The Sound Room Grand Opening
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2017, 03:21 pm »
Sorry I missed you. I was there at 4 until about 5:30 and the place was packed. I did get a pair of the free earbuds and actually bought something. The Star Trek clip was pretty fun with the wall shaking as the Enterprise comes out of the ocean. Scott and I wanted a bass tone control knob so we could "adjust" (crank up) the AC/DC cut in the B&W Diamond 802 room.  :icon_twisted: :rock: :guitar: :drums:

daves

« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2017, 06:13 pm »
We were hoping to catch you two, but getting off work at 5 pm in north city, rolling down to south county, and then out to west county is a real time eater. :-(

Hearing that you guys went boss hog on the B&Ws is :-)

Scott F.

« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2017, 07:43 pm »
It was a busy place last night. Great to see a brick 'n mortar doing well.

The home theater they built was pretty killer. Must have had at least 4 JL subs going with Lord knows how many kWs of power behind them.

The new 802D's were nice but as Mark mentioned, they needed some tone controls for old rock and some tubes to fill them out. Sure are a good looking speaker. I think I'll stick with my 800Ds, Mac and tube pre.

electricbear

« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2017, 09:18 pm »
So Mark and Scott were the ones responsible for the lack of food by the time Dave got there.

daves

« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2017, 09:31 pm »
Don't tell Liam that. He will track them down and spray them with that secret North Korean kim chee double VX sauce.

Blackmore

« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2017, 09:32 pm »
I wish!  :lol: Man, there was a swarm of people ready to eat and drink and party. I think Kent got some of the "snackies" but I visited McDonalds on the way home.

Scott F.

« Reply #7 on: 26 Feb 2017, 02:49 am »
Twernt me, I hit Chic-Fil-A on they way out  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #8 on: 26 Feb 2017, 03:14 am »
Cool, sounds like a good time. Will have to check out the new place.  :thumb: