which von scheikert speakers for me?

falcoron

which von scheikert speakers for me?
« on: 18 Aug 2015, 09:49 am »
I have heard a pair of old but nice VR4.4 speakers with my 10w SE 300b valve amp. the match was stunning, in fact best i have ever heard period! only issue is these are too big for my 15' x 15' x8' high room. can anyone tell me if the smaller VR22 or VR2 will work with my low power amp please and de these share the same voice as the VR4.5 ie clarity and detail from top to bottom, effortlessly portaying the music that had me stunned!

JackD201

Re: which von scheikert speakers for me?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2015, 11:58 pm »
If you can find a pair of DB-100s, that would be closest to your 4.4's signature. Very few were made though as they were superceded by the DB-99s. If you get really lucky you might find someone parting with these.  These were literally built for use of DHT SETs and boy do they do it all with those amps.

kgturner

« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2015, 02:25 am »
There's a pair of dB99 on Audio Asylum Trader right now. I just sold my dB99 speakers and the buyer received them and loves them. He's using an 8 watt Coincident amplifier. I really never intended to sell them, but they just didn't fit my new living room. It's unfortunate because I absolutely loved them. I'm going to give the Spatial M4 and dual Rythmik subs a try.

Kevin T

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2015, 03:33 am »
Pair of dB99's on audiogon for $5k awhile back! Outrageous bang for the buck!

kgturner

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2015, 01:22 pm »
Pair of dB99's on audiogon for $5k awhile back! Outrageous bang for the buck!

Those were mine. They now reside in San Diego with their new owner.

Kevin T

groovy.guru

« Reply #5 on: 3 Sep 2015, 04:29 am »
Thank you Kevin for the awesome db99's.  :thumb: :thumb:

ASMAN

« Reply #6 on: 3 Sep 2015, 02:05 pm »
I can tell you from first hand experience that the VR22's will fill your room nicely.
I have them amplified by a Cary SLI-80 and never use near that much power (I run them in triode mode at 40W of which I use less than 10W).
My room is of similar size and they will overload the room at higher power.
Add to that they can be placed against the rear wall. I have mine out about 16" from the wall and the sound is wonderful. Great imaging and depth to the soundstage.
Best of luck,
Marlin