Onkyo Integra TX-DS939 receiver Cheap and kinda wow! Anyone heard this model?

sonicxtc

I tripped over a deal on an Onkyo Integra TX-DS939, then read some reviews, and considering my intended purpose to use the unit as a 2 channel integrated amplifier (it's an AV receiver circa 1999), I thought, "What the heck?" It was around $2k in its day, and can be found for a relative song, now.

Well, I'm listening to it right now on my 2nd system and frankly, I'm kind of stunned.
It's too early to tell, but this sounds really good. Is it great? I'm not sure, yet and don't want to rush to judgment. But, I am sure that I'm getting better bass depth than with a rather lauded top tier Sansui integrated from the Alpha series. I think it's overall a bit smoother and more "analogue" sounding. This is on a system with which I'm very familiar. I didn't change any other components, so I'm pretty sure this is "real."

Has anyone ever heard this unit?
What were your impressions?

roscoeiii

Don't know it but congrats on your find! Look forward to your further impressions. I've always heard great things about Sansui receivers,  so your post caught my attention.

gychang

I also had a smilar experience with budget 5.1 receiver, discontinued Pioneer VSX-520-K Receiver, I had it on craiglist for $50 wanting to sell and no one called, so I decided to just hook it up to a nice diy fullrange speaker.  I was pleasantly surprised at the sound, bass, midrange, and treble, all there with nice cd...  I agree some of these used av receivers have a clean pleasant full sound.

dukecv

I haven't heard that model but I have a onkyo tx-nr808, and I really like the ways it sounds with my speakers. Every time I want to sell it, I listen to the system and forget all about anything new. Sweet find though.

TheHills44060

I've heard the TX-DS555, 656 and 747 first hand.  I believe the 939 was the flagship Integra badged model in that same lineup.  I remember briefly looking at the "9" in mid 1999 but did not listen or allow myself to drool because it was much more than I was willing to spend. 

As for that years' lineup (both upper and lower end) I'd say it was very good but definitely a step down from what Onkyo was building earlier in the decade.  The first thing I noticed was the build quality was down when comparing to an Onkyo Integra receiver I has built in '91.  Just the case fit n finish, the feel of the knobs, etc...

I ended up buying a 656 because I was still impressed with it and it companions in the series. I passed it down to my sister ans she's still using it without any hitches.  I'm not sure what you are paying forthe 939 I have to imagine it's definitely a solid and possibly better performer than the ones i heard.     

RDavidson

Some of those big tank flagship reveivers from the late 90's and early 2000's were built when Dolby Digital, DTS and HT in general started really gaining footing. They're really well built and were like state-of-the-art products at the time. Look at the Denon AVR 5700 or Yamaha RX-Z1. Massive! I wouldn't be surprised if their sound is still competitive, if not better than a lot of receivers built today. I've had thoughts about this from time to time, but one could get an Oppo 103 or 105 (utilizing its internal decoding) and run the analog outs to something like big old Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha or Pioneer. You wouldn't get Audyssey and you might need to add an HDMI switch box, but that's about all you'd be missing. You'd have a pretty competent system, relatively cheap otherwise.

mcgsxr

Glad that the Onkyo is doing it for you.  My brother is happy with his, not sure of the specific model.

I was surprised how decent my Pioneer VSX-1018 was with some of the speakers I have owned in the past 18 months.

Ultimately I added an outboard amp, but the initial sound was pretty good.

I am currently using an older Yamaha 2 channel receiver, and am very impressed with it.  When (hey, its good to know your weakness!) I decide I NEED a different amp, I will keep it, and drop it into the HT via the pre out/main ins to drive the front 2 Paradigms.

Papuhl

Just saw this thread. I am sitting and listening to my onkyo ds-939 that I bought in the late 1990's and it still sounds great! I have bought many newer AV receivers since but have kept the onkyo 939 as my audio 2-channel receiver and still love the sound of it.

Archguy

LOOK AT THE BACK OF THAT THING
« Reply #8 on: 4 Aug 2017, 12:30 am »

Yeah I know it's an old thread, but hey Welcome Papuhl!

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Wow, that's a golden oldie, no HDMI, just S video.  I have an old Nakamichi that looks somewhat similar, still sounds great.  I also have this one http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=68889.0 used presently as a preamp/processor.  James Romeyn replaced thousands of dollars of separates with this Pioneer receiver that Earl Geddes famously used to drive his speakers at an audio show because the amp modules had the lowest switching distortion of any amp he measured.  I could never get the amp modules to remain stable into various speakers I had on hand, all of which dip below 8 ohms.

srb

Wow, that's a golden oldie, no HDMI, just S video.

Not just S-Video, it also has 3 of the newer Component Video (YPbPr) inputs.

sshanky

I have one of these that my father left to us along with a mint pair of JBL L7 speakers. Listened to it a lot back in the day. Not sure what to do with it now since I need HDMI.

Any ideas where to find it a good home where it won't get dumped into a landfill or sold at a garage sale for $10? I am sure there's someone interested in these, just can't figure out how to find them!

Thanks