Meat thermometer

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Meat thermometer
« Reply #20 on: 10 Feb 2014, 02:58 pm »
Had a thermo-pen for inspection work, but wasn't convenient for me (wouldn't hold a reading while trying to verify freezer temps and it took more room than a simple probe thermometer that can clip to my shirt).  Plus I can calibrate the probe thermometer, but can only verify that the thermo-pen is working.  Plus the probe thermometer is way cheaper to replace if lost/broken.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #21 on: 11 Feb 2014, 05:01 am »
Had a thermo-pen for inspection work, but wasn't convenient for me (wouldn't hold a reading while trying to verify freezer temps and it took more room than a simple probe thermometer that can clip to my shirt).  Plus I can calibrate the probe thermometer, but can only verify that the thermo-pen is working.  Plus the probe thermometer is way cheaper to replace if lost/broken.

You can field calibrate the Thermapen, too (although you probably won't ever need to).  Behind the back label there are two buttons, one to calibrate in a properly-prepared ice bath and one for boiling water.  Pretty easy to do once you peel the label.  But my 7 year old model only needed it once; after six years of use the battery died and when I swapped in a new one it was a few degrees off.

jk@home

« Reply #22 on: 11 Feb 2014, 12:34 pm »
Sign up for their mailing list. They have open box sales that are 25% off. This also includes the same warranty as a new one. Pretty good deal. It's cheaper than buying a used one.

You can field calibrate the Thermapen, too (although you probably won't ever need to).  Behind the back label there are two buttons, one to calibrate in a properly-prepared ice bath and one for boiling water.  Pretty easy to do once you peel the label.  But my 7 year old model only needed it once; after six years of use the battery died and when I swapped in a new one it was a few degrees off.

I've had a Thermapen for at least 4-5 years now, bought it when I picked up a BGE cooker. Always worked great.  Although I was in the commercial HVAC trade for many years, never worried about checking the calibration of the Pen.

We own an RV that is stored on the other side of town, and a few times now I have accidentally left the Thermapen on it, after a trip. Which meant I had to drive across town round trip to retrieve it. So picked up one of the open box specials from the sale they had recently. Compared the two (with just ambient air temperature) and they were off a good 3-4 degrees. So I guess I need to calibrate.

Another cheaper version from the same folks is the Thermopop. Basic difference is the reaction time, a few more seconds.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/thermopop.html

Philistine

« Reply #23 on: 29 Aug 2014, 02:17 pm »
I bit the bullet recently and picked up a Thermapen.

It's as good as you guy's say it is - I'm impressed, use it for steaks and steaming milk for cappuccino so far.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #24 on: 29 Aug 2014, 03:11 pm »
I bit the bullet recently and picked up a Thermapen.

It's as good as you guy's say it is - I'm impressed, use it for steaks and steaming milk for cappuccino so far.
:thumb:
Once you get used to a Thermapen, there's no going back.

Wig

« Reply #25 on: 29 Aug 2014, 07:30 pm »
I've been using a Thermapen for 5 years now and use my BBQ Guru for my slow and low cooks

Wig  :thumb:

ctviggen

« Reply #26 on: 30 Aug 2014, 11:14 am »
My thermapen finally died on me after many years (at least 5), and I had to buy another immediately.  Now, they have tons of colors if you order directly from the store.  They're still $100 though. They also have a neat, very simple timer I was thinking of getting. 

persisting1

« Reply #27 on: 2 Dec 2014, 09:10 pm »
Used a ThermoWorks Dot for the fist time on a turkey this Thanksgiving. Did a great job. Thanks for the pointing me in the right direction.