Moviepass?

randytsuch

Moviepass?
« on: 17 Aug 2017, 09:53 pm »
Anyone sign up for Moviepass?

$10 a month, see a movie a day (once per 24 hours).

No 3d or imax or fancy theaters, but seems like everything else is included.

Seems like a no brainer to try it. 

I'm planning to sign up in a couple weeks, hopefully deal is still there lol.

Randy

stlrman

Re: Moviepass?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2017, 11:06 pm »
I read an article about this . Seems awesome !!!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/moviepass-ceo-mitch-lowe-interview-amc/

If you catch 5 flicks a month, that's 2 bucks a piece. Wow !!!

I see only a handful a year though, because I have a hometheater movie screen and Netflix .
Can you do the movie pass month by month or only a yearly subscription?

randytsuch

« Reply #2 on: 18 Aug 2017, 12:09 am »
I'm pretty sure it's month to month.
I've been doing some reading, and haven't seen any mention of yearly.

I have Netflix too, but this would let you see more movies on a big screen.
And take chances on movies you wouldn't pay full price for, the lettuce ones lol.

There are some disadvantages though.
They said the app only works within 500 feet (or some short distance) of the movie theater.  You can only buy tickets the day of the movie (not in advance) when you're next to the theater.

Also, it's just for you.  So for a couple, I guess you both get the tickets at the same time, and get adjoining seats?
Synchronized moviepass  :green:

Going to have to see how this works.  Worst case, I don't like it and stop after one month.

Randy

stlrman

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2018, 02:39 am »
It's now only $7.98 !!  :thumb:
My wife and I just signed up.!!
We usually rent , and watch on our 120 inch screen, but I do go to movies with my daughter and by myself . This will mean more date nights!
If I go to five movies a month , I'm paying $1.59 a piece. Psyched !!!

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2018, 10:57 pm »
Signed up like 5-6 months ago.  We have been wondering, how are they going to survive?  I mean, both the movie theaters and MoviePass.  My first thought was that people are going to the theaters less now because of Netflix ($10 a month or less also), etc.  The comfort of home.  But.  I felt that I like sitting in a movie place better, and the gigantic screen, and good sound system (my living room is like about 1/75, 1/100 of the auditorium, so the math is simple, not to mention the decision.

But... through the last few months, we've had snafus.  We would check on Fandango (used to use Yahoo's movie listings, but it was lousy, and now Fandango IS it!) the movie listings.  But, several times when we get close to the screening place (requiring 300 ft. away), the particular movie just wasn't showing up on the screen.  Couple of times I paid for it, and MoviePass reimbursed us.  But.... it's gone downhill.  They don't even respond to comments and complaints.  So, no more sucker, pay for it and expect MoviePass to pay back (the movie theater said so, so we tried a couple of times).  Couple of times, the movie we wanted to see, as seen on Fandango, turned out to be something else.  For example, one time, Taxi.  The synopsis, listing, etc. showed a different movie.  This particular one we found out was an old, old, oldie, Robert Dinero's Taxi Driver, and not the Korean title.....

The MoviePass people blamed Fandango, and Fandango defended by saying that they got their feed from this other place.....

Regardless, we stayed with MoviePass, simply, $10 a month and one can see one a day, like taking vitamins, ain't bad.

stlrman

« Reply #5 on: 22 Mar 2018, 02:22 am »
The movie theaters are paid on full.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #6 on: 22 Mar 2018, 09:21 am »
The movie theaters are paid on full.

Now, that's interesting.  How does MoviePass manage it?  I usually see on the ticket the $15 sticker price.  How does MoviePass stay in the black?  They have Warren Buffet backing them financially? :duh: :scratch:

stlrman

« Reply #7 on: 22 Mar 2018, 10:50 am »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.com/story/moviepass-second-act/amp

They will be buying movies and eventually working with theaters. They are making money selling data.

MoviePass might make up 20% of ticket sales in a few short years. I think Loews will have to pay MoviePass some type of cut.
Smaller theaters that are losing money will start profiting , and will give kickbacks to MP.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #8 on: 22 Mar 2018, 10:57 am »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.com/story/moviepass-second-act/amp

They will be buying movies and eventually working with theaters. They are making money selling data.

MoviePass might make up 20% of ticket sales in a few short years. I think Loews will have to pay MoviePass some type of cut.
Smaller theaters that are losing money will start profiting , and will give kickbacks to MP.

Wait a sec, MoviePass would pay Loew's my ticket's cost, say $15, and Loew's will pay MoviePass a cut? Where does Loew's dip into to pay MoviePass?  Not from the ticket MoviePass pays them, do they?

Pls explain the math.  Oh, from the $ generated from their selling of data (oh, my MoviePass data!), MoviePass pays Loew's a cut?  And, on top of the $15 MoviePass will pay for my ticket?

Pardon me for being sooo dumb. :duh:

stlrman

« Reply #9 on: 22 Mar 2018, 12:07 pm »
If MoviePass is able to prove that it can drive incremental box-office revenue to studios and cinemas, Lowe said, the company can strike deals to share in the revenue from those sales, as well as from concessions.

That could then lead to studios paying MoviePass to promote films to its users. MoviePass has experimented with this already, and Farnsworth said 18% of users go to movies after prompting by the MoviePass app.

Farnsworth and Lowe said they want to partner with restaurants located near cinemas and possibly even with Uber to get users a ride to the theater. It’s all about capitalizing on a night out at the movies, Farnsworth said.

Part of MoviePass’s $27 million deal with Helios and Matheson Analytics included an additional payment if MoviePass hit 150,000 subscribers in a 15-month time span. The company passed 150,000 within days.

It took Netflix 3 years to reach 1 million subscribers , it took MP 4 months.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #10 on: 25 Mar 2018, 12:32 pm »
If MoviePass is able to prove that it can drive incremental box-office revenue to studios and cinemas, Lowe said, the company can strike deals to share in the revenue from those sales, as well as from concessions.

That could then lead to studios paying MoviePass to promote films to its users. MoviePass has experimented with this already, and Farnsworth said 18% of users go to movies after prompting by the MoviePass app.

Farnsworth and Lowe said they want to partner with restaurants located near cinemas and possibly even with Uber to get users a ride to the theater. It’s all about capitalizing on a night out at the movies, Farnsworth said.

Part of MoviePass’s $27 million deal with Helios and Matheson Analytics included an additional payment if MoviePass hit 150,000 subscribers in a 15-month time span. The company passed 150,000 within days.

It took Netflix 3 years to reach 1 million subscribers , it took MP 4 months.
===================================================================

Ohhhhhhhhhhh!, the studios?, like Helios and Matheson, pay MoviePass.... So, the movie theater auditorium gets filled up with us free loaders.... Everybody's happy.  I'd better watch out, Matheson may be using my name in their schemes...... like the Facebook fiasco. :duh: :scratch: :thumb:

stlrman

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #12 on: 31 Jul 2018, 10:10 pm »
I've been really annoyed with MP last couple of weeks.  Couldn't log in to secure a ticket several times.  Now, the surcharge.....  Well... will see how long MP's going to last. :popcorn:

randytsuch

« Reply #13 on: 1 Aug 2018, 02:38 pm »
AMC has a version of Moviepass too now, for $20 a month, their A-list program

WGH

« Reply #14 on: 1 Aug 2018, 06:15 pm »
The NY Times thinks the end of MoviePass is near:

A Timeline of MoviePass’s Bumpy History
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/31/movies/moviepass-timeline.html

"The credits are not quite yet rolling on MoviePass, but barring a major twist, the end feels near. Last week, the subscription-based movie ticket service was forced to borrow $5 million to pay its bills and briefly experienced a “service interruption.” On Tuesday, with its stock price tumbling, the company announced it would raise its subscription price from $10 to $14.95 a month and limit the viewing availability of blockbuster releases."

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #15 on: 6 Aug 2018, 12:55 am »
P'd off even more last few days.  I know that all my APPs have been updated, and my iPhone 6 is up to date (sat in the Apple store last week for like half an hour to get it up to date).  Now that they've introduced the "lightning" stroke for the in-demand movies.... I tried again today at the Regal at 13th St. and Broadway for the 2 pm Mission Impossible show.  An hour before I got there, I looked up, and they have like at least 40, 50% of the seats not sold yet.  But... when I got to be like 200 ft. of the theatre, I AGAIN had a hard time getting the theatre listing screen up.  After 2-3 tries, 10 minutes later, finally it came up.  But..... Mission Impossible was ALL blacked out for me.  Not even the Lightning Rod over a show time so I could pay the surcharge of like $5 to get a ticket.  No such luck, if you call that luck..... Really, really p'd off.  You submit a "ticket" on their website, you don't get a reply, if you do get one, after several days if you're lucky. 

I think because they're losing so much money, they just can't afford enough staffing to take care of things now.....  PATHETIC!  ANNOYING! 

Good thing that I've gotten Amex to give me credit for this month via their "dispute" route.  Don't want to wait for MoviePass.  Way to "GO", MoviePass. :duh: :scratch: :nono:

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #16 on: 7 Aug 2018, 08:14 pm »
The NY Times thinks the end of MoviePass is near:

A Timeline of MoviePass’s Bumpy History
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/31/movies/moviepass-timeline.html

"The credits are not quite yet rolling on MoviePass, but barring a major twist, the end feels near. Last week, the subscription-based movie ticket service was forced to borrow $5 million to pay its bills and briefly experienced a “service interruption.” On Tuesday, with its stock price tumbling, the company announced it would raise its subscription price from $10 to $14.95 a month and limit the viewing availability of blockbuster releases."

About an hour ago, tried again to see Mission Impossible.  Still BLACKED out on my iPhone screen.  It's more than 2 weeks since release, it's still blacked out.  Incidentally, yesterday I tried to see it at a Regal place mid-town here in NYC.  More than an hour before the I think 2:20 pm scheduled showtime, I Fandangoed, and saw pretty much like at least 50%, if not more, of the seats were still open (available).  15 minutes later, I got to the Regal spot.  Still blacked out for me.  I thought my iPhone was no good.  But... I think they're still blocking us cheap MP holders.  Ridiculous.  That led me to suspect, they're really sinking.  So, they're desperate to try to cut costs by blacking out more than necessary.  Damn!!!!!!!!!! :duh: :popcorn:

misterclean

« Reply #17 on: 7 Aug 2018, 08:28 pm »

My wife and I have been Moviepass members most of the summer and have generally had good luck, with only a glitch here and there. However, in the past few weeks, the company has been struggling to stay afloat financially, borrowing money to "keep the lights on" and trying several strategies to survive. During that period, trying to use the app has been a complete mess.

I received an email last night from the company outlining the latest strategy--instead of permitting members to watch a movie per day throughout the month, you now get three movies. We were on the verge of canceling after the app crapped out over the weekend for the second weekend in. a row, but we may wait to see if the new plan works before bailing out completely. We've seen a bunch of movies and saved a lot of money the past few months using Moviepass, but if they don't get the glitches worked out, it won't matter whether then new plan is good or not. Three movies per month would still be worth it to us, but we shall see.

As for Mission Impossible, they announced a few weeks ago that members would not be able to see this movie using the plan, as one of their cost-cutting measures. There was a good piece on their struggles in the Washington Post over the weekend on all of this.

Personally, I hope the company survives, but they need a Hail Mary touchdown pass, it would appear.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #18 on: 7 Aug 2018, 08:51 pm »
Oh, I didn't know, Mission Impossible is "totally" unavailable.  That's baaaad indeed.

Being able to see 3 for $10 is still a good deal.  The way things were going lately is totally poor management, saying it mildly.  Well.... for a company that's drowning, what can I say?

Thanks for the info.  One good thing about being in NYC here is that I can go see more Indie movies, which usually are less likely blacked out.  The only thing bad is when the App cops out on me.... Well....

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #19 on: 14 Aug 2018, 09:54 pm »
It's getting worse.  The $10/month deal is getting less worthy.

Last 3 weeks or so it's been very problematic getting to the "theater" listing screen.  Contacted MP several times; all they did was giving us the song and dance, saying that we must check if our APP is up to date, our phone is up to date, when I just sat in the Apple store for 1/2 hr to get updated with the latest IOS, and ALL APPs updated.  Just never got the theater list screen.  Then, starting last week, we "HERE AND THERE" somehow got lucky, got the screen and saw a movie, HERE AND THERE.

Then, last couple of days.  The problem persists, tho here and there, NOT without frustration and struggle, we'd get to see a movie.  Mission Impossible was still TOTALLY blacked out.  Then, last couple of days, we got lucky, got to see 1. BUT.... each time, ONLY, ONLY 1 movie title would show up.  Each of the movie venue we were at certainly had about half a dozen titles running.  BUT, we got 1 and only 1 title.  STRANGE INDEED.

This MoviePass place is getting less and less attractive.  Either theirs or our days are numbered perhaps.  We may just bite the bullet, kick their butt, and quit.  We've been thinking, tho pretty soon we'll see only 3 a month.  It's still be OK.  But, the frustration?, ain't worth it IMO.

Likely will sign up AMC's A-List.  Seems like a good deal, for a little more.....  The MoviePass people must be playing a trick with us.