"Maestro" amp question

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
"Maestro" amp question
« on: 9 Feb 2005, 06:55 pm »
Hey Mike,
Could you explain why there are 2 x-over adjustments on the amp? Don't you want them both set the same? How would you use them set differently?

Eric

"Maestro" amp question
« Reply #1 on: 9 Feb 2005, 08:29 pm »
From the documentation on the site:

"Each filter has a 12db/oct roll off and is used to set the upper cutoff point of the subwoofer. Normally, you will set both filters at the same frequency for a 24db/oct roll off. In some systems it may be advantageous to be able to independently adjust these filters for the optimum blend"

It appears they are there to provide added flexibility and to smooth out the crossover upper limit if there are issues. In other words you could creat a more gradual cuttoff of the sub if so desired

jermmd

"Maestro" amp question
« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2005, 12:09 am »
Quote from: Eric
From the documentation on the site:

"Each filter has a 12db/oct roll off and is used to set the upper cutoff point of the subwoofer. Normally, you will set both filters at the same frequency for a 24db/oct roll off. In some systems it may be advantageous to be able to independently adjust these filters for the optimum blend"

It appears they are there to provide added flexibility and to smooth out the crossover upper limit if there are issues. In other words you could creat a more gradual cuttoff of the sub if so desired

For example,  My Maestro sits next to my right speaker which for some reason (?room modes) has weaker bass than my left speaker.  I set the right crossover slightly higher than the left and the integration is perfect.  The higher crossover point doesn't localize the sub because it sits on the right.

Joe M.

Mike Dzurko

"Maestro" amp question
« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2005, 02:11 am »
Joe and Eric did a very good explanation. I'd say probably 90% of our sub users end up with both filters at the same frequency. Having two different filters does allow just that little bit extra flexibility to really dial it in.