What is good? What to Buy?

usp1

What is good? What to Buy?
« on: 15 Apr 2015, 01:20 pm »
I am a relative newbie to vinyl. I own a direct drive Denon DP-62L and often longingly look at many of the ads for used tables. Occasionally, I ask veteran vinyl gurus like neobop for advice if a specific used TT is worth buying. (And he has steered me away from a couple.) But I realize that there is only so often that one can do that before it becomes an imposition. I have tried to educate myself about the various turntables but there are so many and often it is hard to know if the author/reviewer of an internet post has any credibility.  Vinyl engine has lots of good technical information but often one wants more than that. Are there known issues with particular models. What is the hierarchy among models of a specific company. What to look for when deciding on a cartridge? And so on. I did come across http://best-turntables.com/ website which does what I want but lacks depth.

My question, dear reader, is this. Are there any authoritative (even if opinionated) books, blogs, websites that compare various makes and models. Is there a good reference that explains what to look for while matching components in the analog chain?

ernest787

Re: What is good? What to Buy?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2015, 01:45 pm »
One of the easiest things to do is just google turntables that you find.  I know that seems like a cop out answer, but it works really well.

I do this for a lot of audio gear actually.  When I'm in the market for new components, I will often see a product for sale and will simply search in google and you will be surprised how easy it is to find articles, forum post, etc on that item.  A lot of these will generally include comparisions to other products of similar build quality/price range.  When they do, I will often input that item into google and just go from there.  As you can imagine, it's very easy to go down a rabbit hole, but it's an easy way to get 3-4 items of interest and then build from there.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2015, 02:02 pm »
Hi Usp1,
Try this:
http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Tables.html

BTW, that 62L is nice table.  I doubt if there's anything out there for $2K that beats it.   But everything's relative.
neo

usp1

« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2015, 03:27 pm »
ernest787 - that is what I have been doing as well. I was just hoping that there is a good repository of such knowledge.

neobop - Thanks for the link. I was aware of that link (hence the comment about opinionated!). I do look for some of the table Arthur mentions but most of those tables are difficult to find/afford or usually require a lot of extra work to be made operational.there are so many more that it would be nice to find a more comprehensive review.

simoon

« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2015, 04:18 pm »
As Neo already stated, the 62L (motor and platter) is no slouch.

But the plinth and arm are not the best. The plinth is basically a hollow resonant box and the Servo Tracer arm was of questionable design.

Not sure what your DIY skills are, or even if you are interested, but that table could be mounted on a better (less resonant and better damped) plinth, with a better arm and better isolation feet. For a bit of "sweat equity", the performance of your 62L could be raised several levels at substantially less than what a comparable table would run.

I heard a Denon of similar vintage mounted on solid wood plinth with reservoirs filled with lead shot and resin (dead quiet plinth), and a Rega RB303 tonearm sound incredible.

usp1

« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2015, 05:39 pm »
As Neo already stated, the 62L (motor and platter) is no slouch.

But the plinth and arm are not the best. The plinth is basically a hollow resonant box and the Servo Tracer arm was of questionable design.

Not sure what your DIY skills are, or even if you are interested, but that table could be mounted on a better (less resonant and better damped) plinth, with a better arm and better isolation feet. For a bit of "sweat equity", the performance of your 62L could be raised several levels at substantially less than what a comparable table would run.

I heard a Denon of similar vintage mounted on solid wood plinth with reservoirs filled with lead shot and resin (dead quiet plinth), and a Rega RB303 tonearm sound incredible.

My DIY skills are more imagined than real. I know the 62L is very good and so I would be very hesitant to mess with it, at least until I have another better TT. 

simoon

« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2015, 06:25 pm »
My DIY skills are more imagined than real. I know the 62L is very good and so I would be very hesitant to mess with it, at least until I have another better TT.

Well, it's not that you are really 'messing with it', since if your custom plinth does not work out, the motor/platter unit can be re-installed into the factory plinth. No harm done.

Not to mention, that the factory table will still be playable in its present form while the custom plinth is being worked on.

usp1

« Reply #7 on: 16 Apr 2015, 01:07 am »
Well, it's not that you are really 'messing with it', since if your custom plinth does not work out, the motor/platter unit can be re-installed into the factory plinth. No harm done.

Not to mention, that the factory table will still be playable in its present form while the custom plinth is being worked on.

You are, of course, correct. I just meant that I would be afraid to DIY anything for fear of causing unintended problems. Perhaps finding a competent woodworker to build a laminated plinth may be the answer.

ACHiPo

« Reply #8 on: 16 Apr 2015, 01:31 pm »
There's a lot of good info here

Also, Michael Fremer's site is good if you have megabuck ambitions (although in fairness he does review some modestly priced gear).

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #9 on: 25 Apr 2015, 12:27 am »
Everyone is focusing on the hardware, but I want to mention that it's important to buy good vinyl.  There is a world of difference in the quality of records- more than the quality of turntables.  Some were simply better at pressing, and to find a high quality vinyl that you like in good condition is likely to be somewhat pricey.  Don't be cheap.  Get the best quality lp you can afford and you won't purchase twice. 

orthobiz

« Reply #10 on: 27 Apr 2015, 12:59 am »
I looked up some Google images and your turntable is beautiful! Keep it and add another!!

Post some pics...

Paul

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #11 on: 27 Apr 2015, 01:27 pm »
There is another approach and that's having one really good table.  I think most people who play records have just one. 
There are different ways to look at it, but you can only use one at a time and you might want to have that one as good as it can possibly be.

I wouldn't be inclined to sell a functioning 62L.  It's not just the rosewood veneer, Denon has a very smooth, natural sounding speed control circuit, and the table would make a great daily driver except cart swapping might be unrealistic.  You might not want to use an expensive cart to check out used records.

There are better tables even better Denons, but one of the pitfalls is the possibility of selling and getting something you don't like as much.  For example, a heavy platter will give depth and solidity, but they can also sound thick and plodding if the drive system isn't quite up to the task.  There's a reason behind the idler cults today.  People hear/value different aspects and it's nearly impossible to predict without a basis for comparison.  Unless you're thinking of spending a lot of money there's always something better.  The question is, what will make you happy?
neo