Larger aftermarket woofer upgrade

714shane

Larger aftermarket woofer upgrade
« on: 12 Oct 2013, 04:22 pm »
Hey folks I am in search of advice on replacement woofers for my Larger sub. I currently have the original megawoofers and need something with more extension. The current 15 is the first to bottom out, the Misco 12 holds up better. Right now my focus is on replacing the 15, eventually i want to replace the 12 as well.

I found a few replacement options and was curious if anyone has tried these in the Larger cabinet.

Dayton Audio RSS390HO-4 15 http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-469

Dayton Audio RSS390HF-4 15 http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-468

Eminence LAB 15 http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=290-575

Stereo Integrity HT 15 http://stereointegrity.com/index.php?id=60

My amp delivers 680wpc @ 8ohms 1000wpc @4ohms - 50/50 music and movies -  BB PR is installed

Thanks in advance for any insights.

John Casler

Re: Larger aftermarket woofer upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2013, 06:26 pm »
Make sure and "carefully" measure the outside diameter of "your" LARGER.

In most cases the maximum is 15.25".

All the sub drivers you listed above are greater than that.

That said you can surface mount, but that might make it difficult to fit the grill on the front. :duh:

Brax

« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2013, 06:52 pm »
I'm suprised your 15 is bottoming, I push mine hard and have never bottomed it. My PR would bottom when pushed but once I upgraded to the big bump PR, I haven't had that problem.

You will need to consider the internal volume of the cabinet for your choice of drivers, some will work better than others. You shoul run Simulations in software to confirm the performance.

There is a TC Sounds 15 on ebay now you could look at.

714shane

« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2013, 07:26 pm »
Make sure and "carefully" measure the outside diameter of "your" LARGER.

In most cases the maximum is 15.25"

Sure enough. You're right on the money John. I just measured 15.25 outside diameter. It looks like there is room for routing though if needed. The grill cover is a must.

I'm surprised your 15 is bottoming

I have the old 15 with the phase plug as I understand from research the newer megawoofers are stronger. To be more accurate the 15 starts to make a strange squeaking sound when pushed hard. The squeaking only happens on loud passages, but it does bother me that its there at all. Thanks for the idea of running the simulation. I was not aware there was an option to do such a thing.

Brax

« Reply #4 on: 13 Oct 2013, 03:52 am »
The one I use is called WinISD, it's a free download. You need the internal volume of the cabinet and the TS parameters of the driver. The only thing is that the cabinet shares the space with te 12" so I don't know what effect it will have on the results.

I would also look at AE drivers.

Recently I saw a set of 18" Aura subs for sale and was going to upgrade my Avalance drivers. When I ran the simulation, the gain in low output from the new drivers was minimal so I decided not to upgrade.

714shane

« Reply #5 on: 18 Oct 2013, 01:19 am »
Thanks Brax. The WinISD program has thoroughly outsmarted me. It doesn't account for passive radiators, or two subs like you had mentioned. I did find a program called SubSim that took passive radiators but i could not get the damn thing to calculate.

I assume the ultraMegaWoofers are a thing of the past. I should have jumped on them when I had the chance  :duh:.

If anyone comes across this post and has some suggestions on aftermarket subs please post. I will be checking back here and there

Thanks guys for the info. it is much appreciated

PMAT

« Reply #6 on: 18 Oct 2013, 03:52 am »
What if the driver is fine. Squeaks are often a bad seal. Check that. Or a squirrel in the port.

Long Ear

« Reply #7 on: 18 Oct 2013, 06:50 pm »
I upgraded to the ulrarmega 12 & 15 inch subwoofers about a year or so ago from Brian, but the speakers were sourced from Parts Express &
were their Dayton brand as was labeled on the shipping boxes. Not sure of the parts# but these are metal cones & have yet to have these bottom out on anything that I play. I also did the big bump passive from Brian at the same time & am using the 1000 watt Dayton sub amps
without a problem. Hope that helps, Good luck & enjoy the music.