Redwine and Horns

Emil

Redwine and Horns
« on: 30 Dec 2013, 06:01 pm »
being battery operated must produce a dead quiet amp which is of great importance to horn and other high efficiency speaker users.

Any horn users here that would care to share their experiences?

Im looking at the Signature 16 amp in particular. Plan on mating it with a Dehaviland Ultra preamp
and Klipsch cornwalls. Currently driving them with a McCormack DNA 225.

Im also considering the Quicksilver Horn amps on the tube side

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Redwine and Horns
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2013, 07:13 pm »
Hi Emil,

We can build you a Signature 16 power amp if you already have a preamp of choice - but it is important that your preamp
has low noise/hum, and not too much gain since you won't need much (especially with horns). 

I do have a number of customers with high-efficiency speakers.  I believe earlier in the year I had a customer in Europe buy
one for a pair of Cornwall III's @ 102dB.  It was a good match and more than enough power, but not a monster amp like
the DNA225.

QS Horn amps have low gain - so they could also help with noise. 

Happy New Year!

Vinnie

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jan 2014, 02:09 am »
I sold Klipsch through my college years in the late '70s. The only model I ever owned were LaScalas. But I sold a ton of their complete line, from Heresy's to many, many Klipschhorns. I could only have wished for an amp like the Signature 16 back in those days! As close as we could get back then was an Audio Research D76 and SP-3a-1, at considerably more money in today's dollars. I

'm pretty confident, that having owned the Sig 16 with high-efficiency single drivers, that Sig 16 would be a fantastic amp for the Cornwalls. I say this based on multiple factors...

1. Dead quiet
2. Plenty of power without being overkill
3. Ability to roll tubes to tailor sound to taste
4. Great tone, detail and imaging
5. And maybe most important (based on the Cornwall speakers I experienced in the late '70s), the Sig 16 has killer bass. At least from what I know of the Cornwalls of old, tight and tuneful bass was a necessity for optimal sound -- Sig 16 with LFP battery power has very tight and musical bass, not easy to find in tube designs -- especially at this price point.

Good luck with your decision. Kent

« Last Edit: 1 Jan 2014, 04:03 am by Alwayswantmore »

fitmartin

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jan 2014, 08:33 pm »
I sold Klipsch through my college years in the late '70s. The only model I ever owned were LaScalas. But I sold a ton of their complete line, from Heresy's to many, many Klipschhorns. I could only have wished for an amp like the Signature 16 back in those days! As close as we could get back then was an Audio Research D76 and SP-3a-1, at considerably more money in today's dollars. I

'm pretty confident, that having owned the Sig 16 with high-efficiency single drivers, that Sig 16 would be a fantastic amp for the Cornwalls. I say this based on multiple factors...

1. Dead quiet
2. Plenty of power without being overkill
3. Ability to roll tubes to tailor sound to taste

Speaking of tube rolling, just wish to mention I received a used Siemens 6922/E88CC tube yesterday and it stomps/smokes all the others I have sampled.

Strong tight bass, extended open airy top end and huge soundstage.

Anyone just getting into tube rolling ... this one may be the only one you need to buy!

They are about $150 NOS but I lucked out and got a perfectly fine used one for $65 on the audiomart here in Canada.

Healthy New Year to all!    :thumb:

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2014, 05:49 pm »
Hi Alwayswantmore,

Thanks for your post and it is the attributes that you listed that also make me believe the Sig 16 will pair very well with the Cornwalls.

Hi fitmartin,

Thanks for your post, and please feel free to post your impressions of the Siemens 6922 here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=91642.100

This is the RWA tube rolling thread.  It can use a little updating  :wink:

Happy New Year, everyone!

Vinnie

Dobs

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jan 2014, 11:26 am »
Are you talking about horn tweeter or horn design cabinet?