Yaqin 100b tube amp > which Omegas?

flyingdutchman

Yaqin 100b tube amp > which Omegas?
« on: 26 May 2017, 08:25 pm »
Hi there!

Newbie to the forum here. Coming off about 2hrs of reading up on past posts but please bear with me for any 'stupid questions.'

For the last 10 years I have been running a variety of modified Yaqin amps. I originally discovered them living in China and have continued buying them since. The last two years I have been on a Yaqin 100B coupled with a pair of Chane Audio A5rx-c.

For those not familiar with the speakers, Jon has a consumer direct model focussed on zero bs and high quality audio. I have loved them but as part of a move I am selling them and they are no longer in production. I am using the opportunity to replace them with something one step up and in my search of high efficiency, tube friendly speakers, stumbled on the Omegas.

I listen to a mix of classical, jazz and electronica.

Amp specs:
Maximum Output: 30W per channel (8Ω and Triode Mode)
Output Impedance: 4Ω and 8Ω
Frequency Response: 5Hz ~ 80KHz
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 90dB (A weight)

My key questions:
- which Omega model should I get if I can spend between 2-3k on speakers? I am having a hard time getting a true differentiation.
- I have gotten used to decent bass as part of Jon's design, should I pursue a subwoofer route along side the Omegas?
- How critical is the listening angle?
- How much space is needed behind the speakers from the wall?

Appreciate any and all input!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Yaqin 100b tube amp > which Omegas?
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2017, 08:37 pm »
With 30W Triode you can drive any Omega speaker.

pursuitofnow

« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2017, 09:31 pm »
With a room that size and your budget, I recommend the Super 8XRS.

https://omegaloudspeakers.com/collections/tower-speakers/products/super-8xrs?variant=38555364748

sunnydaze

« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2017, 10:33 pm »
Really nice room!    :thumb:

My advise.....a room that size.......GET A SUB!   Preferably two!  For whatever Omega model you choose.

I'm in a much smaller room (10 x 11 x 8 ft high) and can't be satisfied with my Omega towers without one.

At a given budget, I'd choose a lesser Omega model + subs rather than a higher model without subs.   That's how important I feel the sub is to completing the sonic picture.  You can effectively upgrade whatever Omega model you choose by high-passing it to remove the LF, and use subs to fill in.  Resultant sound will be more transparent, open and refined, and have better punch and weight.

As usual,  we all have different tastes and needs, so YMMV.

mick wolfe

« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2017, 11:32 pm »
The room pictured looks huge, at least from a total volume standpoint. I would consider one of Louis's "high output" designs.... perhaps based on large drivers like the new RS8.

mick wolfe

« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2017, 11:42 pm »
Yep, I agree with sunnydaze as well.  A couple of subs and IMHO, an Omega based on the new RS8 driver.

flyingdutchman

« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2017, 11:49 pm »
This is my old apartment  :roll:

New living room is substantially smaller and lower ceilings. 5mx10m*3m

sunnydaze

« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2017, 12:04 am »
Roughly 15 x 30 ft is still a large space to fill!

For $3k new, I'd probably be focusing on Super Alnico Monitor + sub (preferably 2)

or,  Junior 8 XRS + sub  (preferably 2)

And yes, a sub pair can be had that cheaply.  Rather than retype it, see my reply #149 here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=150144.msg1607559#msg1607559

Can be done cheaper if you buy used.

mick wolfe

« Reply #8 on: 27 May 2017, 12:04 am »
This is my old apartment  :roll:

New living room is substantially smaller and lower ceilings. 5mx10m*3m

That's still a pretty good sized room. ( roughly 32' x 16'x 10' )  I'd still consider an RS8 based design with at least one sub. A "high output" version would still in the mix as well depending on your listening levels.