Subwoofer ampectomy anyone?

rockadanny

Subwoofer ampectomy anyone?
« on: 9 Nov 2012, 09:16 pm »
Anyone try separating their amp from their ACI subwoofer frame and run it externally? Seems like a kinder, gentler execution this way.  :scratch:

cheap-Jack

Re: Subwoofer ampectomy anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Nov 2012, 09:22 pm »
Hi.
Anyone try separating their amp from their ACI subwoofer frame and run it externally? Seems like a kinder, gentler execution this way.  :scratch:

You think it would sound better with its amp relocated out board?

Otherwise why go thru such motion?

c-J

rockadanny

« Reply #2 on: 9 Nov 2012, 09:43 pm »
Yes, I suspect so. Especially if I can properly handle vibrations in the amp.

cheap-Jack

« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 2012, 04:25 pm »
Hi.
Yes, I suspect so. Especially if I can properly handle vibrations in the amp.

Yes. any loudspeaker box virbrates unless it is made of stone or heavy metals. The wooden boxed active subs can be much worse.

I've got one. 10" 100W now using for years.

What I have done is to place it with its rubber feet seated on a square-donut shaped stand which 'floats' on the floor via 3-in-a-set steel spikes. So any vibration feedback from the floor will be virtually diminshed. The donut stand is DIY built of a 1.5"x1.5" wood stud picked up for 90cent from a lumber store. Cheapie yet effective handbuilt stand lifting the sub around 3" off the floor.

To reduce the vibration of the sub box itself, I put a U-shaped damping 'jacket' on the top, left & right side of the sub box. This damping 'jacket' is a heavy-built black door mat made of recyled rubber tire materials, picked up from Walmart for 5.00 bucks only. I cut it to size to cover up the top & both sides of the sub box.

So the sub box is effectively damped itself & free from floor vibration feedback after 3" lifted from the floor.

No need to spend big bucks to buy any brandname so called vibration-proof stand. Be a wise consumer, my friend. What can be more vibration proofing than this!

Your idea of vibration damping the power amp inside the sub box is reasonable.

BUT, but when you take out from the sub box the built-in power amp module which forms part of the rear panel of yr ACI, then you have to fix the big hole on the rear panel left out by the power module.

It can be a very painful job to made good of the big hole even if you were a veteran carpenter.
The big question will be- would be box be as strong as it was before?????

Otherwise you will find yourself jumping from the pan to the fire!

That said, you can take out the power module & wrap it up from glasswool or the like damping materials & put it back where it was. This might help a bit.

But IME, I'd suggest you to take care of nasty sub box vibration first.

c-J