BDA-3 DAC

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
Re: BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #600 on: 22 Oct 2016, 06:03 pm »
Hi

Yes here is our RCA digital cable - the BNC and the RCA are 75 ohms.

http://bryston.com/products/other/digital_BNC_RCA.html

james

Thanks. I'm very content with my 1m Cardas Parsec RCA-BNC.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #601 on: 26 Oct 2016, 12:47 pm »
Hello again,

One more review ( sorry, I forgot to send it before ) of BDA-3 DAC!

http://highfidelity.pl/@main-2774&lang=

Best regards

Robert Fijałkowski
MJ AUDIO LAB

Grant Hill

« Reply #602 on: 26 Oct 2016, 12:59 pm »
Thank you James, it is possible to have it in english?

Have a nice day

Phil A

« Reply #603 on: 26 Oct 2016, 01:21 pm »
Thank you James, it is possible to have it in english?

Have a nice day

Google will translate it

"among the countries that first come to mind when we think of audio producers, Canada is unlikely to take first place, but there are several brands You probably most of you know. Among them are high-end, with fantastic-sounding, but cosmically wycenionymi products, vide the creator of my favorite (next Ubiq Audio ) columns, which Hansen Audio ( Prince V2 , to be precise), the Tenor Audio , a manufacturer of electronics sensational.

Bryston , a company with above mentioned has the advantage of more than 35 years of experience, forging them into products priced much wiser, though fantastically made and great sounding. This is how the company trusts its own products and the quality of their performance can be seen even after 20 years (!) Warranty, which provides products and analog 5-year-old to digital. In this regard, at the start we beat many competitors.

Yes, however, it has made it this far, I had the opportunity to test only the columns of this brand, Mini A , which gave me a really fun with the music, despite its small size and relatively reasonable prices. Together with these columns distributor brought me the Bryston amplifier, stipulating that there be no part of that test, or a separate facility, as was already announced the new version, and she was soon hit the test.

The amplifier could not impressed me so huge impression, as these small monitorki, but I think mainly because it's just too much of it required. So it was listening, "by the way", assessed after the column (which during the test also had to play with my standard test kit). Despite this, I was very impressed, so the new version I'm looking forward. Note that Wojtek Pacuła had the opportunity to test the previous (ie. Still available, but introduced to the market earlier) model DAC, labeled BDA-2 , the successor to the first, now nieoferowanego, D / A converter of the company, model BDA-1, and - as you read - he rated it very positively.

Such a test can somehow assumed in advance if you are dealing with a product of over 35 years (!) Experience of operating in both the home audio and studio equipment. This type of company, active in both, in theory, so different from each other, parts of the audio market usually able to all your devices combine the features appreciated by both professionals and private users.

BDA-3
For virtually all devices (or at least the electronics) Bryston provenance study manifests itself already in the external dizajnie - no fishnet elements - simple, nice front, a lot of options, buttons, and "lights", compact shape, a mild - at least in the case of DACs - housing (incidentally BDA-3 can be ordered with an optional rack mount and a larger version of the front panel), and, still no remote control as standard, it can be ordered as a option. And the number of buttons shows, that would be what to support.

Add to this that most, if not all, Bryston products are specialized devices - in this case, buy a digital-to-analog and get a device that precisely that role. You will not find here additive type headphone, or volume control. In a word - you can see that the company has a practical approach, a native of market pro. The device is assigned a function, with its design can be optimized under its angle to be able to meet as well as possible, and the appearance is a matter of secondary - but you can not accuse Brystonom that are ugly. Dizajn can and is quite simple, but pleasing to the eye, and the workmanship is on a good level.

The wealth of digital inputs in the BDA-3 is - I assume - a nod primarily toward audiophiles. We get virtually everything from the DAC may be required. With the option used by the competition there is no truth at the entrance LAN (for music), but this is due to the already mentioned specialization of each device - Bryston offers customers a digital-to-analog and not streamer, so the LAN input is unnecessary.

The only well known to me the product of the Canadian company, the previously mentioned column Mini-A, gave indeed a good insight into the recordings, but they were by no means typical studio monitor minded mainly on high analyticity, which a little before listening session feared. It turned out that it is extremely dynamic and at the same time musically sounding Bestyjki with which to listen to virtually any music was very pleased, even though the small size did not indicate the nature of the sound, and in addition they are not the best speaker in the world. So I was hoping that in the case BDA-3 get something between a highly analytical sound studio, and an exciting, musically what I am looking for in audio component. But first, a few more of the same device.

As I mentioned user gets available up to 10 digital inputs. In addition to "classic" basic set or input coaxial (in two versions: RCA and BNC), a TOSLINK optical and balanced AES / EBU, we have available today already actually the standard, asynchronous USB input, and more specifically two such inputs, and up to four inputs HDMI, which can take the audio signal in both PCM and DSD, but only in the form of dual channel. I admit that such a large amount of the latter remains a mystery to me, but the fact that such input Bryston equipped me personally pleased.

A few years ago, when I tested one of the first Devialetów, I used the HDMI input by sending signals from my Oppo and sound effects were more than good, maybe even better than with other digital inputs. Yeah so it was, that this time such a connection'll try, the more so that more and more people use Blu-ray, and so recreating the SACD, and with them (or at least many of them), you can send a signal in native DSD (only when HDMI) or signal hi-res accompanying music concerts released on Blu-ray Disc (also the only HDMI because in deriving the signal by "koaksjal" or "optics" is the machine downsamplowany to 16 / 44.1). In the latter case, you only need to remember that in the options the player to select the stereo sound in the form of PCM, because the multi-channel input Bryston not support.

As befits a modern, or maybe that follows market trends, DAC BDA-3 supports PCM signal with a resolution of 32 bits and a sampling frequency of 384 kHz, and native DSD64, 128 and even 256, so those who have players Oppo rubbing their hands.
An additional option upsampling is possible to use a signal which goes to the traditional input devices (i.e., not by a USB cable or HDMI). Signals with a frequency of 44.1 kHz and 88.2 are upsamplowane to 176.4 kHz, and 48 kHz and 96 kHz to 192 kHz.

Returning to the equipment BDA-3 - the user gets to the disposal of both balanced and unbalanced analog outputs, and so-called. "HDMI video pass through" word unit can forward without any treatment provided to his image, eg. TV and it even 4K resolution. On the back we find another section of the socket RS232, USB and Ethernet can communicate with devices / control systems. This allows you to connect the device eg. Intelligent home system, or control it through a web browser. This solution, in addition to HDMI inputs distinguished Canadian DAC against competitors all the more, that after all it is not overly expensive device.

From my point of view, "daki" BRYSTON are interesting for another reason - they are based on the bones of AKM, which virtually all subsequent known to me applications prove to be the first great, second to me personally, "are" much more than their counterparts proposed ESS Sabre. To put it briefly - he was going to be a very interesting test.

BRYSTON in "High Fidelity"

Discs used for the test (selection)

The Nordic Sound , 2L 2L-RR1-Sabda, SACD / Blu-ray
Al di Meola, John McLaughlin, Paco de Lucia,  Friday night in San Francisco , Philips 800 047-2, CD / FLAC
Alan Silvestri,  Predator , Intrada MAF 7118, CD / FLAC
Hugh Masekela, Time , Sony Jazz 508295 2 CD / FLAC
Isao Suzuki,  Blow Up , Three Blind Mice B000682FAE, CD / FLAC
Led Zeppelin,  Led Zeppelin , Atlantic / Warner Music Japan WPCR-11611, CD / FLAC
Lee Ritenour,  Rhythm sessions , Concord Records CRE 33709-02, CD / FLAC
Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington,  The Complete Session. Deluxe Edition , Roulette Jazz 7243 5 24547 2 2 (and 3), CD
Muddy Waters,  Folk Singer , CLASSIC HDAD 2008 DVD-Audio
Peter Gabriel  New Blood , EMI Music Poland 10232262, CD / FLAC
Pink Floyd,  Wish you were here , EMI / EMI Records Japan TOCP-53808, CD / FLAC
Ron Carter, Jimmy Cobb, George Coleman, Mike Stern, Four generations of Miles , Chesky Records SACD 243, CD / SACD
The Ray Brown Trio,  Summer Wind , Concord Jazz CCD-4426, CD / FLAC
U2 360 at the Rose Bowl , Universal 2,735,523, Blu-ray
Japanese versions of the discs available on 

The test focused on the USB input, but also tried BNC - which hit signal from the converter USB Bada Alpha - and HDMI - "fed" signal from the player Oppo. Each of these connections gave very good, though slightly different sonic results, showing clearly that the tested converter Bryston does not harmonize the sound from all sources, but well shows the differences that exist between them, despite the fact that everywhere it kind of just ones and zeros.

Input: BNC
From the first minutes of listening, it was clear that the BDA-3 does not offer sound, which I define as "studio". Perhaps some of its features can be found here, but the general character was much more musical, emotionally involving than what it offers most of the known devices from the market I pro (emphasize once more - this is my opinion, and not only right the truth). At the beginning of files played from a dedicated PC is via the Bada Alpha, still one of the best converters USB / SPDIF market. The signal was getting to the BNC input for digital cable company our native AudioMica Laboratory .

Much of this wording was Bady character - playing smooth and consistent, but at the same time precise, very well arranged, retail and open. So also they played probably all drivers based on the bones of AKM, which I was able to hear. I must admit that the sound suits me very well. There's a lot of information given accurately, but not intrusive manner, thus differentiating record stands at a high level, but the man does not focus on these details, but on the music, which co-create. She sounded completely different disc recorded in tribute to the great Miles - Four generations of Miles in 2002 - played from a file 24/96, and otherwise recorded decades ago Kind of Blue master himself, played with the file 16 / 44.1.

This first recording was by far cleaner, more transparent and it is on these features based disputes realism of this realization. In the case of recordings of Miles attention focused on color, emotion, you could feel the charisma master. It was not until maybe the precision, detail may not even be less, but were certainly less expressive, and yet it is the second recording more spoke to my soul, played after the regular file 16 / 44.1, without hesitation would point to them as better. OK, there is an element whose impact can not be the end to determine, but which certainly had some significance - aware that the game Miles, in the second case, it's 'not-Miles' could play a role. Although the class musicians who have recorded an album that you can not refuse - Coleman, Carter, Cobb and Stern finally the great figures of world jazz.

The first of these recordings are recording a live performance above mentioned musicians. Bryston so he had a chance to show that it can very convincingly render a lively acoustics of the hall, to show its size, and the whole adorn disasters reactions of the audience. It is no different thing to have when playing often used by me during testing Jazz at the Pawnshop , which is one of the best execution jazz concert - and this is not only my opinion. BDA-3 showed that not only diversification, but the separation is his forte, which is useful when many instruments pressed on a small stage.

For a device of this price range, do not have any lights on board, Canadian DAC surprisingly convincingly drew a scene with considerable spatial, three-dimensional solids instruments precisely poustawianymi in specific locations in space. Bryston can not charmed much of a degree of tangibility, and so beautiful, natural color as mine (about 3 x more expensive) Lampizator , but was doing and in this regard than expected. Particular attention was drawn (also on many other recordings) very sonorous, but weighted, fast cymbals. They fared very well wind instruments and plucked both through convincing color, large amounts of air around them, as well as full wybrzmieniom. Acoustic music, but also vocal listened to me with great pleasure.

It's relaxing, addictive, but not boring to play. Word of something that somehow the device from a company operating in the market pro did not expect.

For much electricity board Lee Ritenour my attention in the end, hard work here, electric bass, drums and immediately afterwards. Low frequencies are their strengths tested DAC, although they are not presented in a highly conspicuously attention. That is why only the more energetic, electric playing, where in addition the bass is a very important part of music, "hear" what they mean. Bas is dociążony goes down low and is well differentiated. There is a lot of energy in every pull the strings of a bass guitar or drum sticks hit. You can hear good control and definition, good speed and mass.

Muddy Waters concert showed that the pace and rhythm are not Canadian Foreign transmitter. On both of these discs on which electric guitars play a significant role, they fared slightly softer than I'm used to this. This was confirmed and traditionally odsłuchanym concert of AC / DC. There were a lot of energy, power, rhythm was well run, very well, clearly fall out vocals, guitar Angus Young, but some would "przybrudził" and "sharpened" to make it sound more like a concert. With BRYSTON I received its smoothed version. Yes, pleasant to the ear and not giving cause for complaint, but did not completely true.

Remembering how played a column Bryston amplifier with them, I think, even if it is only a theoretical assumption that the BDA-3 could do them perfectly fit that together would create more value than is apparent from the simple sum of what they have to offer. The spontaneity, the huge energy columns, purity, transparency and sensational musical amplifier and control DAC should give a total of delicious effect.

USB port
I spent a lot of time with my dedicated computer as a source feeding the signal from the USB card company JPLAY to the USB BDA-3. It abolished the limit on the maximum resolution of PCM files (by Bada Alpha and BNC input could not play files with a maximum resolution 24/192) and allowed to play the native DSD files. Interestingly "normal" files, which are those in resolution CD (16 / 44.1), however, sounded better through Bady Alpha, or the BNC input BRYSTON. The sound was fuller, smoother, more palpable. But when it came to playing 24-bit (sampling frequency was not so important) files to PCM it was difficult to clearly point favorite. The sound was very close - by BNC bit smoother, and USB little more energy. The differences are really small and probably difficult to detect without a direct comparison.

If the files DSD (64 and 128; DSD256 not have) Bryston was doing a very "analog" - smoothly, consistently, charmed color, peace, saturation. Each DAC plays native DSD comparing course to master in this field, namely Lampizator, and if everyone, without exception, was killed in the clash. BDA-3 was no exception - the incredible natural, spaciousness, freedom and tangibility Big7 a little lacking. But this is not any gap, so considering the difference in price can be "Canadian" be considered as a unique device that DSD format and doing very well.

What is important, and does not rule is when playing back files via the USB I set a long playlist, not caring that quite what kind of files will go there, Bryston also my choice completely not care. They were so-y PCM 16 / 44.1 and "denser" they were also downloaded DSD and not once during the transition between files of different resolution or even file formats not recorded any cracks, breaks or other unwanted activities. BDA-3 without hesitation perform any "order".

This is not a transducer that unifies everything gets to play. None of these things. Recording high-quality sound perfectly even in the form of 16 / 44.1, and the weaker does not help even the density of 24/192. Weak DSD files do not have, so I can not say how this device copes with their differentiation, but probably not worse, because otherwise sound files executed today by the label 2L, and otherwise rips SACD, even with recordings of Miles Davis. They both fared very well, but but otherwise showing clearly different approach to the implementation of the recordings.

Bryston it not, however, in the habit of massacring recordings is not an absolute tool that extracts studio on top of each weakness of the recording. Their weaknesses can be heard, but rather in the background, they are not the most important element of communication. As a result, you could even listen to U2 plate, or one of the old recordings of the Republic, and the listening evoked positive memories from the past instead of waking me malcontent complaining about the wrong done by someone in the studio work. It is a sign that the BDA-3 is a DAC with a human face.

Input: HDMI
At the end I had to try the HDMI input. So I connected to the DAC player Oppo, television to its output, and a drawer landed U2 360 at the Rose Bowl on Blu-ray disc, which contains the path stereo format 24/48. Grommet video works seamlessly, DAC had no problem with playing sound, lights up the corresponding LED showing that the device gets a signal sampling rate of 48 kHz. Once again, I could not catch so Bryston on any slip-up.

And the sound? Already once I wrote that pulled a soundtrack from a DVD and that is probably the best-sounding U2 that I have. Now I can say it is the best show on BD, provided you have such a DAC as Bryston, offering HDMI input. It is still not recording outstanding quality, but I listened to it with pleasure, feeling the atmosphere of the concert, twirling every move volume to further feel like participants and less like a spectator in front of the TV. In a word - if you have a lot of concerts on BD and DVD and want to hear the real sound to recommend to the BDA-3, as HDMI is doing very, very well.

It was no different from the already very audiophile sampler The Nordic Sound label 2L, so that BD could listen to two-channel PCM-in resolution 24/192. The recording of the choir of fantastically captured acoustics of the medieval church literally struck me to my knees. There's no denying that the volume knob was set above the normal level at which listening outside the window began to dusk, and I have not turned on the lights, so the climate was suitable to Gregorian chants. The climate created even more amazing that the eyes had a huge space, and the voices were extremely clean, strong and simply spoke directly to my soul ... :)

Unfortunately my Oppo does not send even when the HDMI stereo native DSD, so the discs in this format received signal downsamplowany to 16 / 44.1, which by the way sounded pretty good, but not what I meant. In contrast, only possessed my disc in DVD-Audio, fantastic folksinger Muddy Waters, "volunteered" in the DAC in the form (24 bits implicitly) 192 kHz. I sounded almost like vinyl, giving the latter only in the field of organic character in respect of which the board released on LP by Mobile Fidelity has no equal.

Summary
The money BDA-3 has to offer a lot. No, there are no bells and whistles, this is not a device overwhelming appearance, or combining several functions. It is very solidly designed and DAC generously equipped with digital inputs. Only so much and so many. These inputs are still as many as 10, including 4 HDMI accept stereo sound with the BD players, after which this connector can send a signal DSD. And that is also available for HDMI pass-through for the image, even in 4K resolution, so the Bryston should connect a DVD player or BD, in this simple way to build a simple but really good-sounding stereo cinema.

Because the sound of Canadian DAC offers delicious. I know that 15 000 zł a lot of money, but relatively, compared to what is available in the market, it's just a great deal. The sound is musical, and a bit warmer side of the force, tidy, spacious, definitely engaging the listener. BDA-3 is very well defined and controlled bass that can go down really low. It voiced, full of mountain air, the long decay, a natural color acoustic instruments and vocals. Could what the truth a little bit of focus, even electric guitars, but against a huge set of advantages it can simply be ignored.

It is not overtly analytical device, but it can give a good insight into the recording, and very well recorded differentiates. You can not get bored with it, it gives a lot of fun with music thanks to a large portion of emotions, which serves only if the recording allows it. There is also a brutal tool to extract all the weaknesses of the recordings - the listener attention is focused on the elements of music, emotion and stumbling technical implementers are shown somewhere in the background without disturbing the perception of value, and yet not always perfectly recorded music. In my opinion BDA-3 is the first one of the best proposals in terms of sound and richness of the digital interface on the market, and second position nearly mandatory for holders of a collection of concerts on the BD, who will benefit enormously at the "passing" of the sound after the HDMI cable by Canadian DAC -and. A great piece of equipment!

DAC BDA-3 is equipped with a typical Bryston housing with a thick aluminum front is available in two colors (silver and black) and two widths (17 "or 19"). The rest of the casing is made of sheet steel in black, and the whole opted for unsophisticated but pretty well LISTED the rubber feet. On the front you can see milled logo and model name. Next to it is the eye of the receiver remote control (the remote control is not included - it is only an additional fee option).

Next, there are three successive columns of small LEDs to indicate the sample rate PCM or DSD delivered to selected at the time of entry, and the last confirmed sync with the selected source (lock). Next in the row placed a total of 12 small buttons with associated controls. The first left turn on / off the upsampling, the first right turn on / off the device. Among them is 10 buttons, each of which allows you to select one of the 10 digital inputs. Placed at the back output analog RCA and XLR, these 10 digital inputs - Coaxial, BNC, AES-EBU, Toslink optical, 2 x USB and 4 HDMI. The latter accept two-channel sound, both PCM and DSD and of course the video signal, which without any treatment send to also present on the rear panel HDMI output, where the signal can hit eg. For TV resolutions up 4K (resolution obviously depends on the source ).

USB inputs accept PCM signal at resolutions up to 32 bits and 384 kHz, as well as DSD 64, 128 and 256 in the native form and DoP. The device is also equipped with network module with three sockets: RS232, USB and Ethernet enable control transmitter whether through a web browser or smart home system. Next to it is even trigger socket and IEC power.

Inside there are three plates - one placed on the analogue part, the second supports the HDMI input on the third are the other systems. For converting digital signals to analog converters correspond to two brand AKM AK4490EQ. The device is equipped with a linear power supply based on a toroidal transformer, which is not shielded, but placed far away from the sensitive electronics.

Technical data (according to manufacturer)
A discrete analog output stage in class A
independent signal path analog and digital
file playback PCM and DSD at different resolutions
Sampling 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192, 352.8, 384 kHz
HDMI Video pass-through of audio output (4K video pass-through)
Dimensions (W x D x W): 92.2 x 282.45 x 431.8 mm (482.6 mm with a 17 "front panel)
Weight: 6.8 kg

Options:
Available with front panel in silver or black
The front panel 17 "or 19"
Option mounted in a cabinet rack (2U)
Optional remote control BR2

Distribution in Poland: MJ AUDIO LAB office@mjaudiolab.pl www.mjaudiolab.pl"

Grant Hill

« Reply #604 on: 26 Oct 2016, 01:35 pm »
Thank you Phil

now25

« Reply #605 on: 1 Nov 2016, 03:23 pm »
Hi James

Just received the BDA-3 with the new bead blasted faceplate to match the Cubed amps. Very nice and sounds even better! Still waiting for the matching BDP-2 which I understand is delayed.
Also just received the 7B3's. Still running in but already sounding great! A lot of improvement on my old 7BSST2's. The highs are a lot sweeter which enables me to play the music louder than before. The air around the instruments during playback is tremendous and the soundstage is huge. Bass is well controlled and tuneful especially with the Townshend podiums on my PMC fact12's. The podiums are the best accessory I have used so far. My CAT SL-1 Renaissance tube pre-amp certainly helps with sound staging and air I think.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #606 on: 1 Nov 2016, 04:10 pm »
Great ! - thanks for the feedback  :thumb:

james

Badge

« Reply #607 on: 2 Nov 2016, 01:06 am »
I did not know that the new bead blasted finish is available for the  digital products....damn, I wish I knew that as I ordered my BDA-3 in late August and just received my new BDP-2 last week!!!  During this time I decided to also change my power amp so I ordered the new cubed series and just picked up my 4B3 a couple of weeks ago from my dealer so obviously I wish the faceplates all matched..it would have been nice to have known that this option was available at the time of ordering   :x
Any way of getting the faceplate retrofitted to match my BDA-3 and BDP-2 ?1?

Aaron

Hi James

Just received the BDA-3 with the new bead blasted faceplate to match the Cubed amps. Very nice and sounds even better! Still waiting for the matching BDP-2 which I understand is delayed.
Also just received the 7B3's. Still running in but already sounding great! A lot of improvement on my old 7BSST2's. The highs are a lot sweeter which enables me to play the music louder than before. The air around the instruments during playback is tremendous and the soundstage is huge. Bass is well controlled and tuneful especially with the Townshend podiums on my PMC fact12's. The podiums are the best accessory I have used so far. My CAT SL-1 Renaissance tube pre-amp certainly helps with sound staging and air I think.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #608 on: 9 Nov 2016, 12:17 pm »
Hi Folks,

Sneak Peak

The very extensive review on the BDA-3 DAC will be out shortly – Stereophile December issue.

There are 4 pages of measurements from John Atkinson and his conclusion was:

“With its extremely low levels of noise, harmonic and intermodulation distortion, and its superb resolution, the Bryston BDA-3 offers measured performance that is as good as digital can get.”—John Atkinson
(In other words you can spend much more money but you can not buy better performance than the BDA-3)

And from Larry Greenhill the BDA-3 reviewer:

“I recommend that the BDA-3 be listed in Class A+ of Stereophile’s ‘Recommended Components’.”

I will have a PDF of the full review in a few days.

Grant Hill

« Reply #609 on: 9 Nov 2016, 12:59 pm »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Slam Dancer

« Reply #610 on: 9 Nov 2016, 01:23 pm »
 8)

Bones13

« Reply #611 on: 10 Nov 2016, 02:33 am »
Seems like the reviewers keep approving of my choice of DAC!

The Rang

« Reply #612 on: 10 Nov 2016, 03:25 am »
Not surprised about the great review coming for the BDA-3.
Dying to buy one right NOW but going for speakers first, the DAC will have to wait until next year

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #613 on: 10 Nov 2016, 06:06 pm »
Hi Folks,

I have the full PDF Stereophile Review  now - it is 7 Pages and 1Meg.

Email me if you want a copy.

jamestanner@bryston.com

james

The Rang

« Reply #614 on: 11 Nov 2016, 02:39 am »
 Message sent

tie_breaker

« Reply #615 on: 11 Nov 2016, 03:29 am »
Hi Folks,

I have the full PDF Stereophile Review  now - it is 7 Pages and 1Meg.

Email me if you want a copy.

jamestanner@bryston.com

james

Congrats Bryston!  Very nice review, very flattering.. I've had my bda3 for six months and have been enjoying it immensely.  Just recently I was able to setup both aes/ebu and usb connections between my bda3 and bdp2.  A big thanks to Chris at Bryston who was very helpful.  I can listen to pcm files and compare the sound quality by switching channels on bda3 with the remote while playing music.  I still prefer aes/ebu over usb however I am surprised how good usb sounds! I also like that I can listen to pcm or dsd files at the same time using usb. 
Bda3 is a great DAC.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #616 on: 11 Nov 2016, 10:09 am »

Congrats Bryston!  Very nice review, very flattering.. I've had my bda3 for six months and have been enjoying it immensely.  Just recently I was able to setup both aes/ebu and usb connections between my bda3 and bdp2.  A big thanks to Chris at Bryston who was very helpful.  I can listen to pcm files and compare the sound quality by switching channels on bda3 with the remote while playing music.  I still prefer aes/ebu over usb however I am surprised how good usb sounds! I also like that I can listen to pcm or dsd files at the same time using usb. 
Bda3 is a great DAC.

HI

Thanks for your kind words - I was surprised as well at how good the new USB circuit sounds.  :thumb:

james

schmidtmike76

« Reply #617 on: 12 Nov 2016, 02:07 pm »
Have you compared USB to Coax coming from a Bryston digital player?  Which one did you prefer and why, curious as I may be moving into the BDA-3.  I could be wrong but I thought I read that the USB is better on the 3 than the BDA-2?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #618 on: 12 Nov 2016, 02:23 pm »
Have you compared USB to Coax coming from a Bryston digital player?  Which one did you prefer and why, curious as I may be moving into the BDA-3.  I could be wrong but I thought I read that the USB is better on the 3 than the BDA-2?

Hi

Yes I started using the USB at audio shows because it was easier to demo both DSD and PCM  through the same connection and I was surprised a bit at how good the USB sounded.  Whereas on the BDA2 I always preferred the AES.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #619 on: 13 Nov 2016, 11:11 am »
Hi James!

Can you give us the exaxt model number of the XMOS chop used in the BDA-3 and BDA-2?

Cheers!
Antun