NFL Football ('14-'15)

macrojack

• Restricted
Re: NFL Football ('14-'15)
« Reply #80 on: 10 Sep 2014, 08:20 pm »
No way Dallas ends up 32.  I'd even give odds.  That's just a writer trying to get views.  As to the timing being bad on the JJ accusation, it is timed badly for the gal.  With the Rice scandal, the NFL and Jerry will fight this the best that money can buy.  If she had made the accusation a couple of weeks ago, she might have gotten a settlement.  I bet that Jones feels good about going to court against a trio of strippers 5 years after the fact.
Incidentally, the expression "no way" seems to belie an extreme confidence in the position you are taking. Sounds strong enough to warrant giving 10 to 1, in fact. If that's the case, I'll put my ten against your C-note.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #81 on: 10 Sep 2014, 08:39 pm »
A serious wager would be 3:2  But more in the spirit of AC comradery, what about a fifth against a liter of a nice beverage? 
As to who ends up in the cellar, last year Houston was touted as a SB possibility.  You never know, but Romo will have to stay bad/hurt for the Boys to end up last... but they might, let's pick a scotch and find out at the end of the year.

S Clark

« Reply #82 on: 10 Sep 2014, 08:41 pm »
And as to Jerry not being popular, you got that one right... even his own fans hate him. :flak:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #83 on: 10 Sep 2014, 08:58 pm »
A serious wager would be 3:2  But more in the spirit of AC comradery, what about a fifth against a liter of a nice beverage? 
As to who ends up in the cellar, last year Houston was touted as a SB possibility.  You never know, but Romo will have to stay bad/hurt for the Boys to end up last... but they might, let's pick a scotch and find out at the end of the year.
[/quote

That is a thoughtful, well-crafted proposition - but misplaced. I'm a recovered alcoholic. No hooch since the 80s.

Also, let's keep in mind that you win if The 'boys finish 31st. My winning specific is much narrower - very much.

I really used to like scotch but the way I poured it down, it could have been fermented mayonnaise. Quality was not really an issue. Nonetheless it was the time of Hugh Hefner and Harry Pearson so I liked seeing myself as scrupulously discerning.

S Clark

« Reply #84 on: 10 Sep 2014, 09:43 pm »
That's a long time sober and something to be proud of.  What about a dozen JRT sized homemade dog biscuits against two dozen?  There are lots of recipes online.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #85 on: 10 Sep 2014, 10:59 pm »
I had to look up JRT. Jack Russell Terrier. My dog is a 120 lb. Akita. He would probably prefer a much larger size. Also. I haven't read the ingredients but he is allergic to wheat. Probably would be best if you made his from nothing but Texas beef. And none of that hormone stuff either. He's 11 years old and has kept his trim figure by being very selective about his diet. On second thought, wild game would be best.

Or, we could scrap the dog cookie angle and wager some local product. Maybe I can find you a little dinosaur bone or a pictograph. No wait, I think the latter are protected. I wonder if I can ship beer. Colorado is a national leader in the craft beer wars. I can't think of anything that I would want from Texas that I can mention here with impunity.

Just make it a friendly wager. I'm pretty sure to lose anyway. As soon as the Cowboys chalk up their 4th win (about week 12) I will be a loser. Certainly somebody will be 1-11 by then. Actually, St. Louis looks like they could provide us with a showing like that. I'm thinking they will lose all 6 of their division games. If they play the NFC North, that's 4 more losses. I don't know who they play in the AFC but there could be several losses there as well. They are the league's best bet for the #1 pick next spring.
Cowboys will have to find their new QB with the 2nd pick.

S Clark

« Reply #86 on: 10 Sep 2014, 11:30 pm »
Oops, my mistake.  It's Jackman that has the Jack Russell- and I thought I was being clever.
Tell you what, the dead last is a tough bet for you, but I've got an idea.  If the Boys are last, I'll send you a bottles of a good, locally made sweet pickled jalapeno pepper  and good local bbq rub.  If they make the playoffs, you can send me a comparable Colorado product. 
Honestly, I think the Boys will be about 6 and 10, finishing out of the playoffs , but well above last place.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #87 on: 10 Sep 2014, 11:57 pm »
Think they'll finish higher than the NY G'aints?  How can a team owner fuque up a franchise like he has.  One of the previously best franchises in the game.  Why doesn't he just hire a GM and step down?  Does he not want what's best for the team and their fans?  He wants something else more and it's not good for either.  He wants to prove himself as he sees himself.  He can't see the forest for THE tree.  And so it will go.  Sorry faithful Cowboys fans, but so long as he is the owner and remains an idiot, it gonna take an act of God for you to have a good season.
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2014, 12:59 am by jimdgoulding »

S Clark

« Reply #88 on: 11 Sep 2014, 12:34 am »
Jerry once said that owning the Cowboys was no fun if someone else ran the club (talking bout Tuna).  Also, his ego won't let him let go, and as long as they are making more money than anyone else I think he'll stay.  Can they finish ahead of the Giants... two clubs with major problems, but I like Dallas' offense better, so I'd say probably.   

jimdgoulding

« Reply #89 on: 11 Sep 2014, 01:04 am »
Jerry once said that owning the Cowboys was no fun if someone else ran the club (talking bout Tuna).  Also, his ego won't let him let go, and as long as they are making more money than anyone else I think he'll stay.  Can they finish ahead of the Giants... two clubs with major problems, but I like Dallas' offense better, so I'd say probably.
Dallas has an offense??  Don't you have to have a coach and a QB to have one of those??  At least one or the other, no??

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #90 on: 11 Sep 2014, 01:06 am »
Think they'll finish higher than the NY G'aints?  How can a team owner fuque up a franchise like he has.  One of the previously best franchises in the game.

Think it hasn't happened before?  How about the Irsays in Baltimore?   :cuss: The old man jetted around the country to sell the team, denying it all the way, and got off the plane too drunk to answer questions.  Now his son has an alcohol "problem!"  Who'd have guessed? 

Don't even get me STARTED on GM Joe Thomas!  If there was a way to alienate the fans, he'd find it! 

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #91 on: 14 Sep 2014, 04:45 am »
Ok, the long awaited week two analysis:

I had the Ravens on Thursday, but by 2 points, not 20.  And the under with 40 points, not the actual 32.

Carolina over Detroit 23-21, but with Carolina giving 2.5 points and the under/over 43.5, a game to stay away from.
Buffalo is favored by a point, but my gut see's it Miami by the same margin 21-20, a push on the under/over, another game to avoid.
Washington will cruise by Jacksonville 24-16 so give the 6 points and take the under.
Tennessee slips past Dallas 26-24, take the underdog cowgirls getting 3.5 and avoid the under/over.
Arizona creeps by the Giants 21-20 and with NY getting 2.5 take the home dog, laying off the under/over.
NE beats the Vikes 27-21 making the points a push as is the under/over, but you might take a chance on Minnesota getting 6 at home.
The Saints will blow past Cleveland 28-20, give the 6.5 points.  The under/over is too tight.
The Bengals get past the Falcons at home 24-21, but take Atlanta's 5 points and the under.
Tampa Bay beats a Rams team that seems lost 21-17, but the road dog gets 5.5 and the under looks good here.
In a great matchup Seattle wins over San Diego 28-23, avoid the game with Chargers getting 6 at home, but I like the over at 44.5.
Houston wins over the Raiders in a yawner 17-16, take the home dog with 3 and the under 40 points.
The Jets will not show up agains the Packers losing 28-17, I don't like giving 8 points, but if you must, take Green Bay and lay off the under/over.
Denver rides KC to a 30-20 win, so stay away from -12.5 points and the under/over, basicaly stay away from the game entirely.
In a similar game San Fran beats da Bears 30-21, but you can give the 7 points with confidence and take the over.
I've got Indy by a point over the Eagles, 28-27, but my gut says stay away from the 3 points the Birds get and take the under.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #92 on: 14 Sep 2014, 08:40 pm »
Dallas, er, "Jerry's Boys" acquitted themselves well today to my surprise and chagrin. 

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #93 on: 14 Sep 2014, 08:49 pm »
Yeah, I was right on the side and wrong on the game.  From what I could see it was more like Tennessee playing bad than Dallas being that good.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #94 on: 14 Sep 2014, 09:22 pm »
I like yer picks, Let.  Ya missed a few but hope you will keep em coming.  Thanks.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #95 on: 14 Sep 2014, 11:45 pm »
Yeah the NFL is the biggest chump bet in sports.  Like the Packers go down 21-3 early, then go on a 28-3 run against the Jets to win the game they were suppose to, but it messes up the points.  If you're above 50% against the spread or the under/over you're beating the odds and winning.  I was last week, we'll see how well I do this week. 

I do the games for a pool I'm in and just repost the analysis here.  It's all math using data from Pure Points and ELO, comparing that against the Vegas line.  Early in the year most all of the straight up picks are chalk, it's the spread that equalizes everything.  Thus real betters avoid the spread and bet the money line or the under/over line.  I'm just an amateur having fun.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #96 on: 21 Sep 2014, 06:33 am »
The most fun week yet this season, we can finally get off the chaulk and really bet the games.  And interesting that the home field advantage is almost nil this week, only 1.1 points averaged across the predictors.

I did have Atlanta on Thursday, but by 4 points, not the blowout that ensued.

So let's start with the fun games:

Buffalo is giving 2.5 points, but San Diego will win 23-21, predictors have them by 2.28 points.
Detroit is giving 2.5 points at home, however Green Bay takes it 27-24, predictors have Green Bay by 3.11 points.
For some reason the Jets are giving 3 points to Chicago, predictors have it Chi-town by 3.44, I'll say 24-21 da Bears.
Miami is favored by 3.5 points, but they have a let down agains KC, the Chiefs 21-20.  My least confident pick with predictors only giving the nod to KC by .37 points.
And my wildcard hunch bet, Houston 21-20 even though the Giants are favored by a point and predictors have them winning by 1.62, I have no faith in the G-men.

Seattle will win outright 28-27 over Denver, but take the 5 points and bet Denver.
Cleveland is getting 2 points, however they will lose 17-21, take Baltimore and give the points.  Also take the under at 41.5 points.
Dallas over St. Louis 21-20, take the under here at 44.5 points.
Cinncy over Tennessee 23-16, taking the under at 42.5 points.
San Fran over AZ 26-21, the over is a great bet at 42 points.

The rest are chaulk, lay off the bets here.
Philly over Washington 27-20, but never take the under (50) with Philly in the game.
New Orleans over the Vikes 30-20.
Indy over Jacksonville 27-19.
NE over hapless Oakland 30-16.
Carolina over the sinking Steelers 22-19.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #97 on: 21 Sep 2014, 02:31 pm »
Well, I must give Dallas some due.  Their last game was damned good.  A 180 turnaround from their opener.  Jason Garrett looked like he knew what he was doing.  Maybe they are onto something.  I know one ex-pat AC'er who is happy.  Happy to see me eat some crow, too.

Go Houston.  Their coach might be mixing up a special brew.  We shall see.  Ready to see what Denver will come up with, also.  Fall is the best time of year for this fool.  Ya got yer color, cool temps and FOOTBALL.  Keep em comin, Let.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #98 on: 21 Sep 2014, 10:28 pm »
Denver looks awful.  Slow, conventional and conservative to a fault.  They were just at mid field, trailing, with a yard to go and punted.  That's right, give the ball to Seattle.  Maybe they can do something with it.  Did I say they looked old?  Well, they do.  They need an offensive coordinator badly.  Somebody with nerve and imagination.   The team as it is cannot win a Super Bowl and I doubt they would look even a little better than last year.  If I'm the owner I'm rebuilding.

A few minutes later . . Well, they scored, but I'm not eating my hat just yet.  The Seattle defense is greased lightin and they're all over the place.  Now, let's see what Denver's defense can do just having had a shot in the arm.  Wishing them well I am.

Dallas put up some points today and won.  I am looking forward to seeing them play on TV as they ARE scoring a lot of points.       

jackman

« Reply #99 on: 21 Sep 2014, 10:31 pm »
Denver looks awful.  Slow, conventional and conservative to a fault.  They were just at mid field, trailing, with a yard to go and punted.  That's right, give the ball to Seattle.  Maybe they can do something with it.  Did I say they looked old?  Well, they do.  They need an offensive coordinator badly.  Somebody with nerve and imagination.   The team as it is cannot win a Super Bowl and I doubt they would look even a little better than last year.  If I'm the owner I'm rebuilding.

Are you talking about the play where two Seattle defenders crashed through the line before the snap and we're not called for being offsides?  What th F were the refs looking at?  Really bad call. Relax, Seattle should win this one at home. What happened to them last week in sandiego?  We're you calling for a rebuild of the Seahawks on that day? I don't recall.