Best sub for Magnepan 1.7s?

JimM

Re: Best sub for Magnepan 1.7s?
« Reply #20 on: 2 Sep 2014, 03:33 am »
I have a Rythmik D15 direct servo sub with a 3 cu ft sealed enclosure that I built using Rythmik plans I think it was the DS1500s plans. I built the sub in 2009 and it has been used with a lot of different main speakers. Currently using it with my Magnepan 1.7's with very good success. In my opinion the mark of a good sub is when you don't known there and that is what the Rythmik does extending the low frequencies in a natural seamless manner.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #21 on: 5 Sep 2014, 10:30 pm »
I just picked up an SVS 20-39 passive sub and a Dayton 500W plate amp and it works REALLY well with my 1.7s.
I wasn't sure what to expect but I'm very impressed with that combination.
These big hot water heater types always intrigued me simply because they're so cool looking compared to the boxes and the Dayton unit has an EQ function so you can mess around with the curve until you've got the sound you want.
My neighbors are SO lucky to have me...

« Last Edit: 6 Sep 2014, 04:53 am by SteveFord »

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #22 on: 11 Sep 2014, 10:07 am »
I pulled the trigger finally on a Rythmik F12G that will arrive Monday.  I have not had a sub in over 20 years and have no idea how to hook it up, or what settings to use.  Should I run interconnect from my AVA fet valve preamp 2nd out to the sub, or hook speaker cable to the sub and then to the speakers.  What would be the best settings to use for Magnepan 1.7s?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

edn4x4

« Reply #23 on: 11 Sep 2014, 01:41 pm »
Congrats on pulling the trigger!
I run straight from my pre 2nd outputs.  Make sure to use both L/R outputs to the sub as it has both L/R inputs (good pair of Blue Jeans sub cables).  I spent a lot of time getting the settings on the sub to sound well blended, so I think it is hard to recommend best settings.  The Rythmik manual has some good information to start with.  Initially I ran the sub up to 80 - mainly for break in and to feel it.  Later I backed it down around 50ish to let the 1.7s run full. Let me know how this works out and I can certainly send you my settings (reminder may be required!)
Eric

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #24 on: 11 Sep 2014, 02:31 pm »
Congrats on the sub. I have heard edn4x4's set up and the sub and system sounds great and integrates well.  I have the 1.6's and use a Martin Logan sub and have the crossover pt set at 45hz.  Play around with the crossover from 40-55hz and see what sounds best.   The sub should blend in seamlessly and should not be heard on music that does not have a lot of bass and it should not be overpowering on bass heavy music.  Placing the sub in the corner of a room will exaggerate the bass. 

Nightfall, the upgrade to the CF AVA preamp is worth it.  I auditioned both in home and the new CF is much better than the FET.  The CF has a warmer more tube like sound with a sweeter midrange.  It is more musical and has better bass.  I think it is well worth the money.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Larry

SwamisCat

« Reply #25 on: 11 Sep 2014, 03:51 pm »
I have a Rythmik as well, integrated with 3.7i's. Any time I move my speakers, the sub or my listening position I find I have to adjust the settings on the sub.

I too set the primary XO (the switch) at 50, though I have dialed in the secondary XO everywhere from 30 to almost 80 depending upon the setup as detailed above. In my room the sub sounds fastest and tightest when placed closer to me than my main speakers. It might just be a room anomaly though.

With the PEQ equalizer, the phase dial and all the adjustments on the Rythmik, it is pretty easy to smooth and integrate the bass, IMO.  The phase is especially important. I play the stereophile test tracks to identify the phase near the crossover which is additive rather than neutral or subtractive.

I am sure you will enjoy it.

Oh, by the way, if you have carpet it is a lot easier to move the sub before you put the feet on. I suggest putting them on after you have everything optimized.

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #26 on: 13 Sep 2014, 06:27 pm »
Thank you all for the responses.  Eric, can you post pics of your setting?  Looks like I have a lot of reading to do.
After I set up the sub (should arrive on Monday) I wonder if I should order a second?  Anyone else run two?

edn4x4

« Reply #27 on: 14 Sep 2014, 04:25 pm »
Thank you all for the responses.  Eric, can you post pics of your setting?

I would leave PEQ off and work on placement first.  Be sure to use line in from your pre.
I also updated my gallery with a pic of the big rig.
Keep us posted on integration and impressions.

Anyone else run two?
RU married?
 If (yes) then one  :argue:,
 else  :hyper: two!

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #28 on: 15 Sep 2014, 12:48 am »
So Eric, when does the second Rhythmik arrive? :P

edn4x4

« Reply #29 on: 15 Sep 2014, 01:39 am »
I haven't found a trade up program as generous as Magnepan's :rotflmao:

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #30 on: 15 Sep 2014, 02:31 am »
Eric,
Thanks for the pics!  I can't wait till tomorrow!
To answer your question, I am happily single!  I guess that means a second sub
Next month. :D

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #31 on: 16 Sep 2014, 04:06 pm »
I finally got my sub yesterday!  I think I threw my back out walking it up the stairs.  I hooked it up and set the dials to Eric's settings.  Then I put on a CD of Metallica's "Master of Puppets".  I really could not tell if it was on unless I put my hand on the  driver.  I think I have too much crap in that room (boxes mainly) and I need to learn more about the settings.  Should I only "feel" the bass from the sub and not hear it?  I placed it between my Magnepans and a few inches closer to me than the speakers.  Will the sub "open up" more after it breaks in?  An I not supposed to tell where the bass is coming from?  Do I need to get a second sub?  Thanks all for any advice.

edn4x4

« Reply #32 on: 16 Sep 2014, 04:29 pm »
Congrats on getting the sub!  You didn't ask for the Metallica settings... -> Turn off peq, put crossover at 80, and crank the sub volume!
Remember my sub is integrated for my room and those are my settings - it is subtle - but when there is material that goes low you know it is there. 
Like I mentioned earlier - initially I had the crossover set as above (the Metallica settings!) for break in.  Later I used a USB mic and some calibration SW to help with the settings.  I will have to redo it again at some point, but for now I am happy.  You can put your hand on your sub and you will feel it.  Another thing I have done in the past is to turn off my amp and just listen to the SW to get an idea of what it was providing.
Download some sample organ music once and try it out.  Also (Yes- I've Seen all good people )  has a some good sounding bass at the beginning that really stands out nicely.
The Metallica stuff may not have much below 50 btw. 
thanks for the update and keep em coming.....

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #33 on: 11 Oct 2014, 04:46 pm »
Got my second Rythmik sub yesterday.  There is definitely an improvement going from one to two subs.  The bass is "smoother" and less congested.  Thank you all for the advice. :thumb:

Housteau

« Reply #34 on: 7 Dec 2014, 08:04 pm »
I remember being very impressed at the Magnepan demo at the Flamingo during the CES, as they first introduced their auxiliary bass panels.  It was one of the few rooms I was able to visit, because most of my time was spent in the VMPS room where I was working.  The A B comparison was done behind a semi-shear curtain that you couldn't see through, and we were not told what to expect, just if we could tell any differences.  I remember the difference was not at all subtle on some large scale works.  The sneaky part of the demo was that the extra bass panels were not behind that curtain with the speakers, but right out with the audience in plain sight.  We just didn't know to look for, or expect them.

I suppose what impressed me the most was that these two bass panels were relatively quite small and by their nature could not go down deep into the bass, but somehow the sound and feel was of a very integrated and linear top to bottom system where I didn't feel cheated with the deep bass at all.  I had never had the chance to listen to a nicely set up older pair of Magnepan Tympani systems, but this demo had me wondering how good they must have been in the bass with all that extra surface area dedicated to it?

I was wondering if any of you have experimented by adding in any extra full range panels and amplifying just the bass sections to try and create a modern version of those older tympani systems?